Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation
Default Help me make her stop barking

Or we're going to have to get rid of her.

We've had this dog for almost 3 years. Up until last month, none of the neighbors ever complained about her barking. I asked the closest neighbors to tell me if she barked when we were gone and they said no. We just moved down the street and now people are complaining to the mobile home park management.

We are on a more busy street, so maybe she barked every time a car drove by or person walked by at the old house too, but now it is 100 times a day instead of just a few. Every time she barks, if I'm home, I immediately bring her inside unless I'm in the middle of changing a diaper or something. Then I have the kids do it, but it takes longer.

The manager suggested a barking collar, but 1) I can't afford it 2) I think they are cruel. How would she even let out a little bark at the door to tell me she wants to come in?! and 3) there are half a dozen other barking dogs in this neighborhood. What about them!

I don't really care about the dog, but the kids like her. How do I make her stop barking at every blasted little thing?

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me make her stop barking

I'm not going to be super helpful. My dog barks at everything too so I can't leave her out. And when ds is napping I crate her because she'll bark if she hears a big truck drive by or someone knocks or rings the doorbell.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (09-18-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

The only solution may be to keep the dog inside most of the time.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (09-18-2014), Zooey (09-21-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Had another thought. Be sure she is not barking early in the morning or late at night, those are the times to be most annoying to neighbors.

You could check out the training videos at www.dogmantics.com and see if she has anything helpful.

ETA: Actually she does, but it will take a lot of time. There is a video where she is getting her dog to stop barking at the noisy washing machine.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

This really works but it takes a day or so of diligence. Take an empty soda can, put a few pennies in it, tape it shut. Every time she barks, shake it. Dogs hate the sound and stop barking.

Another option is a squirt bottle. Some dogs actually love it (so it won't work if your dog does) but you squirt them in the face when they bark.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mom2boys (09-15-2014), saturnfire16 (09-18-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Our dogs bark a lot too. They are 100% indoor dogs though.
(Well, they toilet outside, but ykwim. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mom2boys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
Indigo
Climbing Rose

Indigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to behold

Making sure she is well exercised will help a lot. Barking is often a form of nervous energy release, so if you burn that energy off productively she should bark less. Daily walks are imperative, also play sessions w/the kids - chasing a ball, running around, catching bubbles, dog training exercises - will all help too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indigo For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (09-18-2014), saturnfire16 (09-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #8
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
This really works but it takes a day or so of diligence. Take an empty soda can, put a few pennies in it, tape it shut. Every time she barks, shake it. Dogs hate the sound and stop barking.

Another option is a squirt bottle. Some dogs actually love it (so it won't work if your dog does) but you squirt them in the face when they bark.

We have a papillon and she is super nervous and barks a lot. It drives me batty. I have tried the can of pennies and the spray bottle and neither of them phase her. She goes nuts when strangers (to her) come inside or when she sees other dogs outside. It's annoying. Especially when someone stops by and are trying to chat with me or Dh.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyfulMom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulMom View Post
We have a papillon and she is super nervous and barks a lot. It drives me batty. I have tried the can of pennies and the spray bottle and neither of them phase her. She goes nuts when strangers (to her) come inside or when she sees other dogs outside. It's annoying. Especially when someone stops by and are trying to chat with me or Dh.
This is where Kikopup's video comes in.

Here's the list of videos on reactivity and barking.

https://dogmantics.com/free-video-li...y-and-barking/

Here's the one at barking at the washing machine that I mentioned. I love her positive training!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l...layer_embedded
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (09-16-2014), mom2boys (09-16-2014), saturnfire16 (09-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll be back later to read more carefully and see what things I can try.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (09-16-2014), kiloyd (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
kiloyd
Rose Garden

I really really need to make a daily effort to work on my dog with barking at the vacuum cleaner. She'll bark if I just pull it out of the closet!

All this stuff is trainable, just takes time.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I really really need to make a daily effort to work on my dog with barking at the vacuum cleaner. She'll bark if I just pull it out of the closet!

All this stuff is trainable, just takes time.
And energy!
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajane View Post
And energy!
Yes!

Kikopup is inspiring. I should make myself watch a few of her videos weekly. Of course she is single with no children! More time and energy to train.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
FarmMama
Rose Bouquet

FarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant future

We have had success with the thundershirt for our high anxiety dog. I wonder if that would work for your hyper-active barker?
DD1 3.24.09
DD2 10.20.12
DS2 7.25.15
FarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmMama For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Every time this thread title pops up, I forget we have an Animals board and I think "oh dear, that is a unique parenting problem..."
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
FarmMama (09-20-2014), HadassahSukkot (09-19-2014), kiloyd (09-18-2014), saturnfire16 (09-18-2014), Soliloquy (09-18-2014), Zooey (09-21-2014)