Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #16
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hair cuts are causing so much stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
Would a hair dryer get the hair off them in lieu of a shower?
No, it wouldn't get it all off, and it would make the problem of the hair everywhere that needs to be cleaned up, worse.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
The capes help a ton with the sensory issues. I got our kids cape for about $10 on Amazon. I hate cutting hair inside! Good clippers are worth the investment too. I got the oster classic 76 that I’ve seen in beauty shops a lot and they work faster and require fewer passes. I have to cut my husbands hair pretty frequently but because the boys hate haircuts they get theirs every 2-3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! We need better clippers desperately, but the cape and apron need to come first.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #17
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I should add the kids cape first my husband fine too. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (02-22-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #18
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't do haircuts alone, I need help. I cut Ds2 first and DH or dd2 take him to the shower, he's in a diaper and off somewhere away from the hair (I cut in the master bathroom) when DS1 is done and I pop him in the shower and rinse him (he hates showering, this is a loud and ugly situation), wrap him and hand him underwear and then hop in the shower myself. While I'm getting cleaned up DH sweeps up the hair mess. It's a whole thing and if the boys didn't have such unique hair texture (it is an incredibly thick brillo pad texture and mats horribly like >that< ) I wouldn't even bother. The girls I give a trim once a year or by request at a completely different time and usually outdoors so the birds can have the clippings.

ETA: I use and apron for me and for them, that really does help. I also keep a little pastry brush (looks like a medium size paint brush, I'm not sure where it came from but it's definitely kitchen related I'm sure they sell actual hair/skind brushes for this at a beauty supply store.) and I sweep DS1's face and neck briskly every minute or two (he HATES the feel of hair on his face and neck). I sing "Painting the roses red" (from Alice in Wonderland) loudly while I sweep DS1, he's 4 and finds it hilarious and it helps make the whole project less agonizing for us both.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 02-23-2020 at 07:54 AM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #19
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

i know you said you love summer hair cuts outside in the summer because you can just brush all the hair off.

I live in Michigan and I still do buzz cuts outside in the winter.

We go a bit quicker cause it's chilly but the brush off and go part of it makes it worth it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (02-23-2020), ValiantJoy07 (02-23-2020), Virginia (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #20
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I just do my 15 yo son who has severe sensory dysfunction and won’t let anyone else touch his head. It’s super stressful but it’s gotten lots better as he gets older. I can’t imagine doing 3 back to back. He definitely has to shower immediately, I think he could handle a salon at this point except for the fact of not being able to shower immediately. I only cut it about every two months. It looks shaggy as heck but we both avoid it as much as possible lol.

I think you need another adult present, that would help a lot. Do what you can to manage your own sensory issues, this seems to be a big point. Apron, have some dedicated junky clothing to wear for this task, try doing their hair dry and see if that helps it not stick so much. The mess is bothering you a lot, do you have a garage or laundry room or somewhere that would be better for managing that? It just occurred to me that you need suction to get the hair as you go, sort of like the dentist does with spit and what do you know they make such a thing.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
I just do my 15 yo son who has severe sensory dysfunction and won’t let anyone else touch his head. It’s super stressful but it’s gotten lots better as he gets older. I can’t imagine doing 3 back to back. He definitely has to shower immediately, I think he could handle a salon at this point except for the fact of not being able to shower immediately. I only cut it about every two months. It looks shaggy as heck but we both avoid it as much as possible lol.

I think you need another adult present, that would help a lot. Do what you can to manage your own sensory issues, this seems to be a big point. Apron, have some dedicated junky clothing to wear for this task, try doing their hair dry and see if that helps it not stick so much. The mess is bothering you a lot, do you have a garage or laundry room or somewhere that would be better for managing that? It just occurred to me that you need suction to get the hair as you go, sort of like the dentist does with spit and what do you know they make such a thing.

I want those clippers!
I actually did the hair dry yesterday, we survived, and it wasn't flying around as much as it had in the past. Clean up was easier. I stopped and swept throughout cutting and that actually made the process easier on me. The kitchen is the best room, no upholstery, not as much stuff everywhere, and no humidity from bathing to cause hair to stick to surfaces like the toilet and sink counter which was a huge issue in our apartment where the bathroom and tiny kitchen were the only areas we could cut. Our kitchen here is huge so much easier to cut in then in past homes.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

Old 02-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #22
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Those have really great reviews on Amazon. I have new clippers in my cart as mine are dying a slow and painful death and am thinking of switching to those. Not sure they could handle the level of shagginess we get to though. My son has really thick hair.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #23
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps anything, for washing hair I started using a condiment bottle. I wish I had thought of it years ago. It cleans better than just a washcloth and gets less water in the face than anything else I've ever tried.
https://smile.amazon.com/Condiment-S...496286&sr=8-13
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elibellamiah For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-27-2020), SewingGreenMama (02-23-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #24
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Can you have them sit on the floor for haircuts? Seems like there would be fewer flyaway hairs because there's not as much distance to the floor. When my mother in law (who is a hairstylist) does my daughter's hair, she has her lay on the counter and washes her hair in the sink. They really like that option because it's different, it's comfortable (she puts towels down to make it softer), it's easy cleanup, and it's quick. All in the same room too, so they'll do color, wash, cut all there.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

Last edited by marbles; 02-24-2020 at 12:54 PM.
marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (02-27-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #25
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I am a hairstylist and when I buy my big color order each year, they include extra aprons. I have one in my cabinet at work- new in package, just taking up space. PM me if you are interested. I’ll mail it to you.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (02-24-2020), lavenlove (03-01-2020), SewingGreenMama (02-27-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #26
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
I am a hairstylist and when I buy my big color order each year, they include extra aprons. I have one in my cabinet at work- new in package, just taking up space. PM me if you are interested. I’ll mail it to you.

I almost said something the other day about how I’ve heard stylists have promo aprons all the time!

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 02:45 AM   #27
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

For a kids' cape, until you buy a real one...try an old towel or flat sheet held shut at the back of the neck with a clothes pin. It's not the same, but works better than nothing.

Do you have an enclosed porch or basement or attic? Kitchen's probably easiest, but maybe one of those would bother you less if you have one.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 04:07 AM   #28
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
Can you have them sit on the floor for haircuts? Seems like there would be fewer flyaway hairs because there's not as much distance to the floor. When my mother in law (who is a hairstylist) does my daughter's hair, she has her lay on the counter and washes her hair in the sink. They really like that option because it's different, it's comfortable (she puts towels down to make it softer), it's easy cleanup, and it's quick. All in the same room too, so they'll do color, wash, cut all there.
If I weren't 9 months pregnant that might work great!

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
For a kids' cape, until you buy a real one...try an old towel or flat sheet held shut at the back of the neck with a clothes pin. It's not the same, but works better than nothing.

Do you have an enclosed porch or basement or attic? Kitchen's probably easiest, but maybe one of those would bother you less if you have one.
I wish we did. But no attic, basement, or screened in porch.

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
I messaged you. Thank you so much for that offer!