Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone users!

I use mine constantly too, plus if I'm not, one of the kids is. So I have to charge mine at least once a day. There have been times where I've charged it 2-3 times. It depends on what apps we are using, how much data time I am using(vs wireless), and how long the 2 year old has played with it.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
link (faster than trying to type it out)
So, I did that, and it turns out almost all of my apps were working in the background.. Wow.

Now if she could just tell me how to prevent my 2 year old from moving apps. That would be great!

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
mollobe (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

You also want to check to see which apps are using "location" features... That can be a battery drain. And I have my email set so that it pushes new emails only when I open it, that helps.

I'm on my phone a TON for various things, so I wind up having to charge it at least once per day.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (04-29-2012), mollobe (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I had 81 apps running.

Thank you Sara for posting that link. Hopefully this will improve my battery life and stop draining my data allowance.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Niphredil (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Closing down apps completely is also helpful if you have an app acting wonky. I learned the trick a few years ago because on my ipod touch I was constantly having issues with Safari. Dh took it into the Apple store and they showed him. (The other trick to try when an app doesn't work is to uninstall/reinstall)

Definitely check to see what you have set to Push as that uses the battery and your data.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #20
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
link (faster than trying to type it out)
Is this only for the iPhone 4? I have an older version and it didn't work.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #21
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I just cleaned mine up and had 90 running! Including some apps I haven't used for MONTHS! Thanks for showing us how to do that! I always thought the double-click was just to bring you back to the last four apps you've used!

Are there any we SHOULD keep running? Like the Find Your iPhone one so it can be located if its lost/stolen?
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #22
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
Wow. I had 81 apps running.

Thank you Sara for posting that link. Hopefully this will improve my battery life and stop draining my data allowance.
holy cow 81!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Is this only for the iPhone 4? I have an older version and it didn't work.

I didn't read the link but I have a 3 and I double click the square home button and then hold down an app until they all start shaking and then hit the - button to close them out

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to illinoismommy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #23
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollobe View Post
Wow, I just cleaned mine up and had 90 running! Including some apps I haven't used for MONTHS! Thanks for showing us how to do that! I always thought the double-click was just to bring you back to the last four apps you've used!

Are there any we SHOULD keep running? Like the Find Your iPhone one so it can be located if its lost/stolen?
When you double click you can swipe to the left too and have instant access to your music. You can play/pause, swap songs, or control the volume. On that screen is also the ability to lock your screen so it doesn't rotate when you move. I lock my screen when I'm reading on my kindle app.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niphredil For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (04-29-2012), cindergretta (04-29-2012), mollobe (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #24
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niphredil View Post
When you double click you can swipe to the left too and have instant access to your music. You can play/pause, swap songs, or control the volume. On that screen is also the ability to lock your screen so it doesn't rotate when you move. I lock my screen when I'm reading on my kindle app.
I've always wondered why there's not a way to lock the screen! It's sooo annoying when I'm using my phone in bed!
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #25
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
holy cow 81!!

I didn't read the link but I have a 3 and I double click the square home button and then hold down an app until they all start shaking and then hit the - button to close them out
Thanks I wasn't clicking fast enough on the home button the first time I tried. Was anyone else paranoid they were accidentally deleting their aps while they did this? Pretty much all of mine came up as running.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #26
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niphredil View Post
Right on! I had no idea!!! Thanks!
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #27
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

For whoever asked, it's just for the iPhone 4 and up, the 3G and 3Gs doesn't do that.

I guess I take for granted having a dh that makes me sit and watch every stinking keynote address Apple does when a new phone or a new update comes out.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

There are other "tricks", too, if anyone doesn't know... Like you can take a screenshot by pushing the home button and the power button...

With the new update you can just slide the screen straight into camera mode, and you can use the volume button as a shutter button

Holding the power button and home button past the "turn off" screen will do a soft reset of your phone, which you should do anytime you add or update an app

You can make your own custom vibration pattern

There's a ton more...

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Here! I found a link that has some good tricks:

http://iphone.appstorm.net/roundups/...and-shortcuts/

Hth!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (04-29-2012), cindergretta (04-29-2012), mollobe (04-29-2012), Niphredil (04-29-2012), purstrength (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #28
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

My 3gs DOES do it since the OS updated in early march.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (04-29-2012), hey mommy (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #29
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

It does work to "close" apps with a 3GS running iOS5 and if I remember iOS4 as well. The 3G is no longer supported.

I love learning little tricks.

The 4s can read text to you using Suri.

If you are using the Kindle app you can lock the screen just in the Kindle app as well.

You don't have to leave any apps running, unless it has to be for multitasking. Almost all apps can be closed when you are done using the app. I like leaving Evernote "open" because it saves me steps to get back to the document I was viewing before especially with knitting patterns.

I will sometimes jump back and forth between apps where that quick access comes in handy.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (04-29-2012), mollobe (04-29-2012), Niphredil (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

DUDE. Text expansion?! I'm so making one for : shifty
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niphredil For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (04-29-2012)