Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #46
amstermarie
Rose Garden

amstermarie is a jewel in the roughamstermarie is a jewel in the roughamstermarie is a jewel in the roughamstermarie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

ihave not been using sun screen.. i did not know about the clo.. but my dc take 2 tsp a day and we had 2 sun heavy days this weekend. someone put sunscreen on ricky sat w/o asking me but it was toward the end so most of the day he did not have it on.. and sunday he had none on.. sunday night, mine and dd faces are pinkish, but not painful red.. the boys seem fine but nephew who does not take clo is blistered up mostly on his ears.. my sis is saying i did it, i guess she forgot i do not use sunscreen.. i thought i told her b4.. but i am going to let her know about the clo..

Ricky 11/00
T.J 9/02
Adam 9/5/05
Dylan 9/18/12

Theresa born in water 1/29/2008

Kadin 3/04
Baby 2/15
Baby 11/15
amstermarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #47
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

So is it just CLO or any fish oils? I take salmon oil.

I use California Baby on my ds....when I decided to use it.

Id love to get him taking a fish oil, but would really prefer he take the salmon oil. Can I squeeze some into a drink for him out of my capsule or something?

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #48
rebecuna
Rose Trellis

rebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud ofrebecuna has much to be proud of

I got some Jasons recently, but haven't been happy with it. I didn't realize it wasn't waterproof. Is that the case with all the paraben-free ones? It says "water-resistant" but I don't know what that means... when DS steps in the water I can see the white stuff streaming off him. DS lives in the water, so I feel like I need something with more "lasting power".

We use rash guard also-- I love it! Make sure you get the kind with SPF, otherwise you can get burned right through it. And the rash guard I bought for myself was from a surfing website, and is the real deal-- i.e. TIGHT! like, almost restricts my breathing, tight, despite my ordering a size up from normal! I wish it was looser, since I don't need protection from rocks or coral or anything but oh well.
DS2- Turtle, VBAC baby. 4 (October 09)
Healing rheumatoid arthritis through GAPS since October 2011
Remembering Little Bean- January 2009
rebecuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:57 AM   #49
joy
Climbing Rose

joy is a jewel in the roughjoy is a jewel in the roughjoy is a jewel in the rough

subbing with gusto.

Introverted | INFJ | Goofy
joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #50
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

You can get rash guards as well as skirts and swimming shorts for kids and adults and Lands End with UPF 50

I haven't purchased one for myself, but I have purchased some for dd, and they are great when we are going to be at the pool for several hours... and even better when we go to visit my IL's at the beach.

They're actually on sale until tomorrow for 30% off

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #51
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecuna
I got some Jasons recently, but haven't been happy with it. I didn't realize it wasn't waterproof. Is that the case with all the paraben-free ones? It says "water-resistant" but I don't know what that means... when DS steps in the water I can see the white stuff streaming off him. DS lives in the water, so I feel like I need something with more "lasting power".
All sunscreens will stream off like that if you don't put them on at least 20 minutes before giving them time for the to be absorbed into the skin. What we do is I lather up my kids and then we get all our swimming stuff together and go to the bathroom. That gives it time to sink in. Or if it is lunch time, I lather them up and let them eat. My kids are used to the 20 minute rule - even the 3yo

For our pale faced family, we still use sunscreen in the water between 12 and 3 or 4. Otherwise, we are like lobsters as we live in the pool in the summer

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #52
blossomnatalia

Could someone tell me if this one is OK... I have no idea what to look for because I never had to buy any before

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/...0001&langId=-1

Any bad stuff I should be avoiding?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #53
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

The two things I would research for that sunscreen are how small the titanium dioxide particles are, and what aluminum hydroxide is. I think the rest of that stuff is fairly safe- though I'd be wary of the plant extracts and their compatibilities with pregnancy, if that's an issue (which I know it's isnt' for YOU atm, but in general )
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #54
naturemama1
Rose Blossom

naturemama1 is on a distinguished road

We're all extremely fair. I'm of the pale redheaded variety that burns in about half a second, and my DH is Norwegian, so all our kids are super fair. We've stopped using sunscreen for the last several years and haven't gotten any burns, but we have a shady yard, live in the woods, and wear sunhats. We get some sunshine exposure for vitamin D, but not enough to tan.

There are a few days out of each year when a lot of exposure is unavoidable (beach, fairs, sailing), and then I'll slather everyone up with UV Natural. It's expensive, but it works really well and lasts for years.

God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars.
~ Martin Luther
naturemama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #55
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

formerly known as apronstrings

Desert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud of

We wear sunscreen if we will be outdoors for more than 20 minutes or we will burn (ds and I are fair to moderate redheads). I have already had skin cancer taken off of my forehead. We also wear hats. It is impossible to avoid the sun in the desert unless you have no life and live indoors. I try to go with more natural products, but not always.

"When a culture simply shrugs about what happens to people in war, it breaks the fragile sequence, the bond between all people." -- Michael Meade.

Celebrating Family - Come see my new blog! (and vote for it here).
Desert Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #56
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rose
We wear sunscreen if we will be outdoors for more than 20 minutes or we will burn (ds and I are fair to moderate redheads). I have already had skin cancer taken off of my forehead. We also wear hats. It is impossible to avoid the sun in the desert unless you have no life and live indoors. I try to go with more natural products, but not always.
We are like you. Our whole family is blond & pale skinned. We have a strong family history for skin cancer on both sides. We wear hats & appropriate cover ups like rash guards. We spend a lot of time in the sun playing sports & the like, so for us sunscreen is inevitable. I've weighed the pros and cons & for our family it is definitely worth it.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #57
PacisEtAmor
Rose Trellis

PacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond reputePacisEtAmor has a reputation beyond repute

I have fair skin and burn easily, so when i know i'm going to be out in the sun for awhile i use Jason brand baby sunscreen. I use it mainly on my arms and face (usually the only parts exposed to sun.)

Infp Cat Lady in school for Massage Therapy.
PacisEtAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #58
KLin
Rose Garden

KLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond repute

I need safe, non irritating sunscreen by the gallon with a pump. We are very pale, live in the valley of the sun and have a pool and big yard.
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #59
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone ever make their own sunscreen? I don't have the money for UV naturals this summer.

I found a few recipes on MDC... I'm wondering though if I could just use coconut oil & powdered zinc oxide?
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #60
KLin
Rose Garden

KLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond repute

I found what I need. This is what I am going to use this summer, not too expensive, good coverage with a pump Oh, and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mountain...820287&sr=8-35
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote