Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Cat
Rose Garden

Cat has disabled reputation
Question tomato paste

I get big cans and sometimes I don't use the whole thing right away, it gets moldy, and I have to throw it out. I hate wasting it. Can I freeze it? How? If I freeze the whole container but end up not needing it all that's a waste, too. How should I portion it? How is it using frozen paste?

How many questions can you have about tomato paste?
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tomato paste

What about freezing it in ice cube trays. Or make sure each one has 1 T or something like that, so you know how many cubes to take out
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Castle On A Cloud For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, you can freeze it. I've frozen it in tablespoon sized blobs (couldn't think of a better word there) on a cookie sheet and then put them in a freezer bag when frozen. Just toss a few frozen blobs into the cooking pan. I've never had it behave any differently than right out of the far, but most things I"m using it in there's not a lot (sloppy joes, etc) in proportion to other things.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (11-07-2011), Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's a tip in one of my slow cooker recipe books ... I'll check it once Jack settles to sleep.
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
hbmamma
Deactivated

hbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to behold

what sort of things do you make with it? How much do you use? Freeze it in that amount/qty If it's 1/4 cup or 1Tbs freeze in amounts that work for you
hbmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hbmamma For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I do tablespoons in ice cube trays, and transfer them into a ziplock bag when frozen. Super easy, and way more economical to buy a bigger can and use it that way
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Cherish
Rose Trellis

Words are Worlds

Cherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond reputeCherish has a reputation beyond repute

I make pizza sauce with it and freeze it in one cup batches (I buy the big costco can of tomato paste). I freeze it in snack size ziploc bags for other cooking, and then I have several of those in a quart size FREEZER bag.
Cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cherish For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

I use this http://www.amorebrand.com/products/tomato-paste
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how tomato paste is packaged in bulk as I've only seen the tiny cans. In any case, I advise against freezing it in a metal can if it comes in that. I'm trying to remember my classmate's term paper, but it was something along the lines of

acidic food + oxygen + metal can + time = bad.

IDK, something about how you phrased "the whole thing" made me picture you putting the can itself in the freezer.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple-Saucy View Post
This is what I use too. It stays good for months!
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Cat
Rose Garden

Thanks, ladies!

I saw that tube, Apple, it's just pricier. But maybe I'll try it! I use small amounts in my sauce, beans, etc. to thicken.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Thanks, ladies!

I saw that tube, Apple, it's just pricier. But maybe I'll try it! I use small amounts in my sauce, beans, etc. to thicken.
It is pricer at the beginning, but none goes to waste so for me it turns out cheaper. I never remember to freeze the canned stuff
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Cat
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKids View Post
I don't know how tomato paste is packaged in bulk as I've only seen the tiny cans. In any case, I advise against freezing it in a metal can if it comes in that. I'm trying to remember my classmate's term paper, but it was something along the lines of

acidic food + oxygen + metal can + time = bad.

IDK, something about how you phrased "the whole thing" made me picture you putting the can itself in the freezer.
No way! I meant I transfer to a tupperware container after opening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat For This Useful Post:
ThreeKids (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Thanks, ladies!

Yes it is a bit pricier than a can, but how many dollars worth of tomato paste have you thrown away? I figured out that I was throwing away about $.30 everytime I forgot about an open can of tomato paste in the fridge Which was about 2x's a month The tube typically lasts me 3ish months...I use it for flavor though not to thicken I also buy it in bulk so it's a bit cheaper that way I have about a years worth in the pantry right now
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

Marielle has a good little trick of freezing tablespoon sized blobs wrapped in Saran like candy.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncsweetpea For This Useful Post:
Cat (11-07-2011)