Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teach a Child to Read with Children's Books - Any Experiences?

I'm thinking about using this with Miranda; I've heard lots of good things about it. Has anyone used this and nothing else to teach a child to read? I'm especially interested in knowing whether it fits CM's reading model, and whether any CM moms have had success with it.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teach a Child to Read with Children's Books - Any Experiences?

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this will help or not....I read it, thought it was awesome, and thought that's how I'll teach dd to read (she was about 2ish so I figured I had time). We have a lot of the books he suggests (ok we have A LOT of books ). So I read her those books over and over and started pointing out the same words and she started memorizing words. I called it sight words...but then she wanted me to do nothing but read to her ALL the time. I kept pointing out the words and the sounds and suddenly she was reading...she's about 3.5 so she's OBVIOUSLY one of those kids that was going to read early no matter what I did. There's definitely stuff that is 'twaddle' like 1 fish 2 fish, or cat in the hat, or go dog go, but the repeating short words were great at getting her confidence up. We used good books too like Blueberries for Sal...one of her first memorized words was 'Mother'
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

mellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing this with ds1 & he is reading pretty well now. I mix in a bit of phonics every once in a while.

Married since 1999, rebuilding since June 2013

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds2 (10/07, C22 disorder)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

http://www.themelodyward.com
htty://www.joplinmamaresurrected.blogspot.com
mellymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely try a search of the forum for this title. There have been a lot of previous threads.

We use it and love it I use it in a way that is almost identical to the way that CM describes reading lessons in Vol. 1. I love the book lists at the end.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

this is our current approach as well. don't know if it follows CM or not.

we basically pick out a book, dd gets a word assigned to her and we read.

I honestly have no idea if it will actually work or not, but for the moment, this is going to be our approach.

to me, it just makes sense.

but, yes, it would be nice to know that it does actually work.....
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
gentle_answer

I heard about this book here awhile back and there were so many positive responses that I thought it might help my ds who was about 7 at the time. I had taught him phonics, but he hated to read. It was extremely laborious for him. He dreaded me getting out the phonics book. So, I tried this with him and at first he was excited about something different, but he was required to guess words from context with this method and that did not fit his personality. He begged to go back to phonics.
My dd probably would have liked this method if she hadn't already taught herself to read.

The book lists in the back are great for an eager beginning reader.
I checked it out of the library so I could try it for free.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
blossomnatalia

Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

I used it with my 2nd and loved it. It was perfect for him and he is now an avid reader. I'll be using it again with my 3rd next year. (I wish that I had used it with my first. It would have helped many months/years of heartache, I think.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
blossomnatalia

Can someone please explain to me in detail what it really is??? I am very curious.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
gentlemommy
Deactivated

gentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by gentlemommy; 04-23-2014 at 11:18 AM.
gentlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

bump...b/c I want to know too!
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #14
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Rick Thogmartin's goal is to help parents who are teaching their children to read at home. The book is not only a "how to" book but also tells why. The author grounds his beliefs about reading not only in research but also in his extensive experience in teaching children to read. There is a firm connection between theory and practice.

He states the importance of phonics together with whole language and using pictures as ques as well. He places phonics right where it belongs in the entire reading process--as a valuable tool for the child's word recognition strategies in the context of real reading and real writing. Reading is so much more than merely learning phonetic elements.

Throughout the book are real-life examples of teaching children to read and specific suggestions for parents based on the research of literacy as well as actual experiences. A lesson plan format is included, as well as, record-keeping forms, lists of materials, strategy development explanation and activities. The book also has a sample of a parent teaching their child to read for the first time and shows what a sit-down, read-with-me lesson really looks like. At the end is a lengthy bibliography of books children customarily enjoy--leveled for a parent's convenience.

HTH

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember a lot of talk about it on the AO-Year 0 list awhile back. There were a few opposed to it. I will see if I can find it and PM you the dates the discussion was happening. I have checked it out and read some of it, but it has been a little while ago, so I am not don't remember much about it.