Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #31
GlacierLily
Rose Garden

“Overcoming what frightens you the most strengthens you the most.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo

GlacierLily has disabled reputation
Default Re: So, cupgate

The starbucks logo itself is of a pagan Goddess (Ishtar)so honestly I think it's pretty silly to get upset

I didn't read all the other replies.

Mama to our medical munchkin -3 (ASD,CHD, GDD medically complex & cognitively age 1 ) and super siblings !
GlacierLily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GlacierLily For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (11-17-2015), CelticJourney (11-11-2015), Chaos Coordinator (11-11-2015), everybody's mother (11-11-2015), knitlove (11-11-2015), Pragmatist (11-12-2015), WanderingJuniper (11-13-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #32
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

That viral video (which I won't watch, that guy gets no money from my clicks) is just terrible. To think one guy speaks for all Christians is ridiculous.

It feels like 2015 is the year of outrage for the sake of outrage.

That said, I HAVE seen people responding to the cup issue as being just another way that Christians are being persecuted. I honestly cannot wrap my head around that conclusion.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
DahliaRW (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #33
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

The fact the you (universal) can buy a Starbucks shows how you are NOT PERSECUTED. Syrians being beheaded for their faith is persecution.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
believer (11-17-2015), DahliaRW (11-11-2015), domesticzookeeper (11-11-2015), everybody's mother (11-11-2015), Johns_Gal (11-11-2015), Lady Grey (11-13-2015), mamaKristin (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #34
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

The Baptist Teacher editorialized in 1875, “We believe in Christmas — not as a holy day but as a holiday . . . Stripped as it ought to be, of all pretensions of religious sanctity and simply regarded as a social and domestic institution — an occasion of housewarming, and heart-warming and innocent festivity — we welcome its coming with a hearty ‘All Hail.’” If The New York Times republished that editorial as its own, the paper would face public excoriation by modern Baptists.

Copied that from an article last night, then lost the article . Going to see if I can find it.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/10/...ing-otherwise/

Here's the article.
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (11-11-2015), CelticJourney (11-11-2015), deena (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #35
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin View Post
It feels like 2015 is the year of outrage for the sake of outrage.
This thread (and 'Cupgate') brought this article back to my mind: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/c...ial_media.html
believer (11-12-2015), sweetpeasmommy (11-11-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #36
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an interesting article about Christian privilege http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...tian-privileg/
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #37
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
Here is an interesting article about Christian privilege http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...tian-privileg/
#33. You can dismiss the idea that identifying with your faith bears certain privileges.

This article is really, really good. And no, not every bullet-point is really as blanket truth as he makes it out to be, but the cohesive whole that they form is true. Good stuff
believer (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #38
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post
#33. You can dismiss the idea that identifying with your faith bears certain privileges.

This article is really, really good. And no, not every bullet-point is really as blanket truth as he makes it out to be, but the cohesive whole that they form is true. Good stuff
I always wonder about the cognitive dissonance that my fellow Christians have lately exhibited which allows them to express that they are feeling persecuted but not turn that around to see others who have always been persecuted and reach out in love and turn away from (and encourage others to turn away) from persecuting people of different faiths.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
believer (11-17-2015), BestLaidPlans (11-17-2015), deena (11-14-2015), domesticzookeeper (11-13-2015), graciousmomma (11-13-2015), ShiriChayim (11-13-2015), Soliloquy (11-13-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:55 AM   #39
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Someone observed recently that if one group is used to having their needs, preferences, opinions, and even whims put first, then simply being required to be one of many groups that are having their needs met simultaneously feels like persecution.

Anyway, about the War on the War on Christmas:

Red and green are the secular colors of the secular Holidays, that modern season of shopping, dining, and partying that runs from Thankgiving to New Year's Day. The Christmas colors are white and gold and have been for, oh, about a thousand years.

Christmas starts on December 25. Not November 25. Not October 25. December 25.

And most importantly,

IT ISN'T EVEN ADVENT YET.

Seriously (), let's talk about the war on Advent! All these people trampling over the noble penitential season with their Christmas carols and their Christmas greetings and their Christmas cards, their Christmas cookies and their Christmas lights and their never-fading plastic Christmas trees! Where's the national Advent wreath, huh? Huh??? Why aren't retail workers blessed (sic) with 50 glurgey renditions of "Veni Emmanuel" by 50 different fading pop artists each and every shopping day? Noooo, it's all "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" and "Santa Baby." And have you noticed that the massive conspiracy against everything that is good and true and wholesome and righteous and like I dimly remember from when I was a kid who got the presents while my parents got the hassle (but I repeat myself) has even extended the attempt to wipe out Advent to the last weeks of Ordinary Time? They're playing Christmas music at Wal-Mart right now. The Christmas displays went up before Halloween! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! So the next time some tired, harassed counter drudge mechanically wishes you Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas, lean over that counter, get right into their space, and hiss, "It's Advent." That'll larn 'em.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
bliss (11-17-2015), everybody's mother (11-17-2015), mommychem (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #40
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if part of the reason for starting the Christmas shopping season earlier and earlier is because of the state of the economy With the way things are, I think people need to plan ahead, and potentially extend their shopping across several months rather than just one. Financially across the board, things just aren't like they used to be for the average American.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #41
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousmomma View Post
I wonder if part of the reason for starting the Christmas shopping season earlier and earlier is because of the state of the economy With the way things are, I think people need to plan ahead, and potentially extend their shopping across several months rather than just one. Financially across the board, things just aren't like they used to be for the average American.
I think that's a huge reason
graciousmomma (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #42
ChristmasGirl
Rose Garden

love~joy~peace

ChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically the starbucks closest to us sells the reusable cups with the word "JOY" on them.

❀married to my sweetie for 26 years
❀mom to Lizzie 24 and Eli 20
ChristmasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote