Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #16
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, cupgate

I think this is a great example of people using and reacting to social media without really thinking. This is crazy making and never should have gotten this far.

And I suspect that the same people who contributed to the frenzy would/will be posting the 'Jesus is the reason for the season' stuff and forgetting that Jesus doesn't care about reindeer on coffee cups.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (11-10-2015), believer (11-10-2015), BestLaidPlans (11-17-2015), domesticzookeeper (11-10-2015), GlacierLily (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyGal View Post
I don't know that there are many supporters, are there? Maybe he will enjoy his 15 min and if he decides to go back in, it will be for something positive.
Except that now everybody gets to mock Christians for being so ridiculous, getting worked up about a cup. Even though no Christians (in my online or IRL circle, anyway) were actually upset about it.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (11-10-2015), BestLaidPlans (11-17-2015), CelticJourney (11-10-2015), Chaos Coordinator (11-10-2015), deena (11-11-2015), GlacierLily (11-11-2015), graciousmomma (11-10-2015), MaybeGracie (11-10-2015), MaySunflowers (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks coffee is the equivalent of Dove chocolate. Much better than Hershey's but it's still crappy, mass-produced American chocolate. . Yuck.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (11-10-2015), tempestjewel (11-10-2015), ValiantJoy07 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #19
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

See-this is where our tendency towards moral outrage gets us into trouble. And I'm not actually talking about the people upset about the cup-mostly because I've seen precisely zero of that-I'm talking about all the people upset about the "people" (I put that in quotes because, again...I see none of these "people") who are upset about the cup. We've lost our ability to have any kind of balanced or reason discussion-we just yell about how ridiculous something is, go agree with everyone else who shares our opinion about it, and leave the day feeling morally superior having gone off on social media about this big topic. We're all right, and we all know it. The phenomenon of needing to be right and thus morally and intellectually superior has gotten so out of control that we have companies and political candidates exploiting and profiting off of it.

We can't even tolerate someone daring to question the original whatever that set us off in the first place. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen it go down on facebook where someone posts an article and a whole bunch of people "like" and "yeah!" it, and then friend three comes along and says, "Hey is that even what's going on here? Let's examine this!" and that person gets jumped on by their "friend" and all of THEIR friends for daring to not see it in this way. And that's how a narrative evolves-it doesn't matter anymore what actually happened, what happens is the narrative that has been constructed around it which has been tried in the court of public opinion And I include myself in this . How often have I jumped into a conclusion and a cause and needed to have my say? How often have I contributed to a narrative? Maybe some of those narratives are true, but the world is far from black and white.

Since when is it only acceptable to think ONE certain way? Since when have we lost all respect for people who think differently than we do? Peace friends! Please, peace and respect! Even for the one person who was upset about Starbucks cups (if he even was that upset-how far gone must we be to have it be a perfectly viable theory that Starbucks paid the guy to do it? Are we that easily manipulated? ). It's okay to disagree, even passionately so. Debate can be a really healthy thing-but it has to be open to the idea that there IS another side to think about, and that we can disagree-even passionately so-respectfully. Once we start yelling about how anyone who could possibly think such a way is so wrong they DESERVE shame and humiliation and to be ostracized and mocked (which is what we are doing every time we go nuts on a topic), we become a mass force of destruction-even when our cause is right and good. No one wins in that environment. Even if we think we do, because we walk away knowing how right we are, and feeling really good about that.
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ShiriChayim For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (11-10-2015), BestLaidPlans (11-17-2015), graciousmomma (11-10-2015), HomeWithMyBabies (11-10-2015), mamaKristin (11-10-2015), MaybeGracie (11-10-2015), MercyInDisguise (11-10-2015), Soliloquy (11-10-2015), sweetpeasmommy (11-10-2015), tempestjewel (11-10-2015), ThreeKids (11-11-2015), ValiantJoy07 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #20
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. This one wasn't very serious but a few months ago Planned Parenthood something or other was bringing out the nasty in my Christian FB friends. And it was the pro-PP people who were being nasty. Frankly, their flavor of tolerance was pretty intolerant.

I do like "arguing" (playfully) on FB about how awful Starbucks is, though. I have friends who LOVE Starbucks.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (11-10-2015), ValiantJoy07 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #21
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly rage against the outrage is all the rage these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
believer (11-11-2015), BestLaidPlans (11-17-2015), ChristmasGirl (11-13-2015), everybody's mother (11-10-2015), mamaKristin (11-10-2015), MaybeGracie (11-10-2015), Soliloquy (11-10-2015), tempestjewel (11-10-2015), ThreeKids (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #22
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I was all "no way Christian people get over it!" at first and then one of my facebook friends asked something along the lines of, "Have any of your facebook friends even posted any indignation over the red cups?" And I thought, huh. No. I know some very "culturally conservative" people and not a one of them seem to care even a little bit. Obviously someone cared enough to come up with the initial rant and that spread to some degree, but probably not the degree to which the media portrays. The media, and I guess myself in the beginning.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
believer (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #23
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

All it did was reignite my fiery and expensive addiction to sbux. Womp womp.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
deena (11-11-2015), everybody's mother (11-11-2015), Sparrow (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #24
Iveyrock
Rose Garden

Iveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond repute

I did have one friend post endorsing the original video (the anti-cup stance )

To... living with, living with, living with - not dying from disease! - Rent

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
— Terry Pratchett (Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms)
Iveyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iveyrock For This Useful Post:
deena (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #25
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I love Starbucks. It's annoying to see people dissing them all over my Facebook feed If there were a local coffee place that offered a free drink every dozen I buy, I'd totally switch but...

OK, sorry...back on topic now...
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:26 AM   #26
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
I love Starbucks. It's annoying to see people dissing them all over my Facebook feed If there were a local coffee place that offered a free drink every dozen I buy, I'd totally switch but...

OK, sorry...back on topic now...
So, you have multiple people on your feed complaining about the cups? I'm trying to figure out if this is a real or fabricated phenomenon.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #27
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely real. Real people with real anger Multiple people I know have personally vouched that they've seen it on their own Facebook feeds; I personally checked it out when it first started trending as a topic on Facebook - before all of the reaction posts started - and was able to see lots of posts from real folks (until then I'd thought it was a joke, too )

It's just not that many real people, and at this point they've been more than out-shouted by all of the responses.
believer (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #28
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

By the way - I came up with the term cupgate and then yesterday I saw that Ellen used that term too. I wish I got paid what she does. Anyway, it looks like a few real people actually did complain and get offended about the cups, but then social media took it up and it became a huge viral rampage about Christians being overly sensitive about not having enough Christmas symbols.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
DahliaRW (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #29
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Now you know there are going to be copy-cat ranters, just seeing if they can generate the "outrage against the ridiculous reason for outrage" viral response. The crowd will eventually get so jaded by the line being blurred between fake outrage and real outrage, the fun will lose its fervor and it'll have to find another way to feel superior to other people. Kind of like how it's no longer fun to spread alarm over needles in Halloween candy and now when there's a report, people suspect people put it in their own candy for attention.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #30
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiriChayim View Post

We can't even tolerate someone daring to question the original whatever that set us off in the first place. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen it go down on facebook where someone posts an article and a whole bunch of people "like" and "yeah!" it, and then friend three comes along and says, "Hey is that even what's going on here? Let's examine this!" and that person gets jumped on by their "friend" and all of THEIR friends for daring to not see it in this way. And that's how a narrative evolves-it doesn't matter anymore what actually happened, what happens is the narrative that has been constructed around it which has been tried in the court of public opinion And I include myself in this . How often have I jumped into a conclusion and a cause and needed to have my say? How often have I contributed to a narrative? Maybe some of those narratives are true, but the world is far from black and white.

Since when is it only acceptable to think ONE certain way? Since when have we lost all respect for people who think differently than we do? Peace friends! Please, peace and respect! Even for the one person who was upset about Starbucks cups (if he even was that upset-how far gone must we be to have it be a perfectly viable theory that Starbucks paid the guy to do it? Are we that easily manipulated? ). It's okay to disagree, even passionately so. Debate can be a really healthy thing-but it has to be open to the idea that there IS another side to think about, and that we can disagree-even passionately so-respectfully. Once we start yelling about how anyone who could possibly think such a way is so wrong they DESERVE shame and humiliation and to be ostracized and mocked (which is what we are doing every time we go nuts on a topic), we become a mass force of destruction-even when our cause is right and good. No one wins in that environment. Even if we think we do, because we walk away knowing how right we are, and feeling really good about that.
Have you seen the video though? It's rude and obnoxious. It's ridiculous and full of such arrogance. That makes me angry. That HATE that spewed from that man's mouth.

I'm not angry because he doesn't think like me. I'm angry because there are people out there who believe Christians are like this. And he's making money off this, laughing all the way to the bank. It's like he sat around trying to find a way to stir the pot to make a buck.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote