Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future
Default Re: 5 month old puppy scared of other dogs

Sounds like she did great. Just keep up her socializing and she'll be accepting other dogs without a problem.

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #17
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad to hear your puppy is improving

I wanted to share this article with you on dog socialization. I found it really helpful for my family as a reminder to keep new experiences positive for the dog

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3953

and i totally get you on how frustrating it is when a dog isn't food driven. Play is a good reward for dogs, but when you're trying to teach calm behaviors, it can be kind of tricky to reward with play.
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadybugSam For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

We went on a walk yesterday and there was a dog behind a fence where there isn't usually. At first, she didn't react, but then she did. I had earphones in so it took me a second longer than usual (I was trying to block wind from getting in my ears since I'm sick) to realize the grumbling I was feeling/hearing wasn't from a big truck but a HUGE dog behind a privacy fence/gate.

She did good! She jumps up a lot for assurance (jumping bean) after these types of instances so I had to stop for a little and get our groove back.

Apparently noisy kid objects like walking bikes and scooters are also "weird" and to be avoided, growled and barked at. So, we're practicing relaxing and sitting and looking at something else until it passes and we can walk slowly towards the noise.

Anything that is not where it ought to be, like pipes leading from rain gutters into the ground that have been damaged and are now on the sidewalk (BIG SNAKE-THING!) or statues are very scary. I like to stop and investigate and get her comfortable before we move forward or it will be an "avoidance" issue heading home or if she bumps into it again.

No other dog contact, but we did see a family with a pram, and we stopped and let them pass. Good reaction there and we had a good walk after. We're working on closed in/narrow walkway area that is one escape route we can use on our river walk.

I got mad this weekend. I had taken her out in the field and we were playing a rousing game of get the stick when I saw bikers coming. I had her on our long field leash (5 meter) so I called her back and started winding it up a bit and told her to sit and wait. I get down with her and reiterated to sit and stay as the people on bikes pass us. She's still a bit weird with bikes so I didn't want her causing an issue. I had some guy pass me and tell me to "stop being obnoxious I'm not mean."

All I had done was "*name*. Sit. Good girl. Heel. Very good! Look at me. *name* Look at me. Sit. Awesome! That's a bike. We let it pass. Heel. Good! Look at me. Yay! High five!" I sat there like for a while and went home not long after and after I had sat down it clicked what he said and how it came across. I am finally getting that "hey mom's talking to me so I should look at her and see what she means!" So... meanie!

We're working on what to do and she really does a lot of "hm, I should look at mom and see what she says ". So I try and reward that with "good! Yes, look at me!"

I talked with the breeder recently and she said out of the entire litter, mine mimics facial expressions the most and best. She's right. She does. And she watches faces REALLY intently.

In August we get together with her siblings, parents and cousins. That should be lots of fun.

We saw her parents again about 2 weeks ago? and it was hilarious. She was all barky and protective of us because of "these people and their dogs They are coming in our house mom!!" and then she actually *saw* who was coming in the doorway and my goodness I have never seen her livelier! She got right back in really well with them and wouldn't let the breeder or her husband out of her sight for the longest. Then she took her parents around to all her things like "see mom? see dad? this is my bed. and these are my toys. and this is my food and water, and my other bed, and those are the other rooms and you're here you are really here!" She did push some boundaries with her parents but they put her right back in place and she was really respectful. They didn't bother her things either. They just poked around to see where it was and left it alone. Very even keel.

We talked about her being skittish around other dogs and the breeder was shocked. Who knows what is going on, because she had been around her parents and other Cavaliers regularly for her first 5 months. Just keep trying and doing what we're doing. It's odd, but it could be any number of things.

We discussed her being picky over food and she said just to leave it out as long as it takes. It feels... odd ... doing that, but she is now eating when we feed her or holding out to see if we change it. If we don't, she cleans her plate every time, and asks for more. She'd really had me worried before the breeder came because she was shunning a LOT of meals including stuff I would not have turned down.

I think I must pick a funny time for our walks because we've not bumped into anyone really when we go for the last week and a half. Usually people biking or jogging past, but no other dogs.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #19
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have to talk with DH. Not sure what he is doing on his walks, but I think she is confused on the walking rules again.

I think I figured out the scared of dogs angle. Every single time we walk past a yard with a dog that is out, they rush the fence barking, growling and trying to get at her. It is TERRIFYING to be honest. I keep my ground as much as possible and stop to get her calm and realize the dog cannot come out at her and get past it in one piece without her trying to dash off and yank me with her.

We were rushed three times today. No wonder she is not trusting other breeds. Cavvies don't do that. They come check you out and are your best friend right away.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote