Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Awful diaper rash

Leia has a terrible diaper rash. I thought it was yeast at first, that's what it looked like, so I treated for yeast. But then it changed, now it's bright red and it looks like the skin is peeling. It's awful, it looks like burns, like blisters from burns and they peeled off really soon. Her skin bleeds if I wipe too hard. I switched to disposables, I only use water and mild plain soap if I have to, I stopped the yeast cream and switched to eucarin (on the advice of the pediatrician) but it still looks the same. It's somewhat better in like one spot. I'm giving her lots of diaper free time, as much as I can. I change her immediately. What else can I do? The rash is only in crevices that don't air well.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Awful diaper rash

Ds recently had a rashy area that a & d.p, coconut oil, the cloth diaper safe cream i have & eucerin diaper cream would.not.touch.

What finally helped was dr. Brown's.

I wasnt sure what caused his...wondered if it was ammonia build up or too much soap in the diaper laundry/not rinsing thoroughly?????

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2TMama For This Useful Post:
marbles (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Oatmeal baths! Oatmeal in a nylon squeezed in the tub. Followed by lots of air and coconut oil

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
marbles (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TMama View Post
Ds recently had a rashy area that a & d.p, coconut oil, the cloth diaper safe cream i have & eucerin diaper cream would.not.touch.

What finally helped was dr. Brown's.

I wasnt sure what caused his...wondered if it was ammonia build up or too much soap in the diaper laundry/not rinsing thoroughly?????
That's what the nurse recommended, I just have been sick and wasn't able to get out of the house. It's looking a little better today, some parts look like they've scabbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
Oatmeal baths! Oatmeal in a nylon squeezed in the tub. Followed by lots of air and coconut oil
I hadn't thought of that! I'll give it a try.

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend doing a hard core strip of the diapers. my dd3 kept getting ammonia burns from cloth, I couldn't keep them stripped enough and those burns. coconut oil is safe for cloth but I also think it contributed to the problem.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
marbles (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
I would recommend doing a hard core strip of the diapers. my dd3 kept getting ammonia burns from cloth, I couldn't keep them stripped enough and those burns. coconut oil is safe for cloth but I also think it contributed to the problem.
Would ammonia burn be in the places that don't really touch the diaper? I switched to disposables when I thought it was yeast so I could strip them, which I plan on doing anyways, it just surprised me because I haven't had any issues at all with them. No smell, no irritation, nothing. Oh crap. I just realized. Someone changed her diaper on Tuesday while I was teaching co-op and she used store bought wipes, which we don't use. I bet that was it, the rash is in exactly the places you'd wipe carefully after a dirty diaper.

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

While not particularly natural, and not to use in cloth, calmoseptine ointment is amazing for really bad irritation. I found it mentioned to help little boys with irritated foreskin because it doesn't destroy natural skin flora, and it helped my ds immensely. Now I use it on DD3 for any kind of irritated rash and it helps better than anything I've ever tried before. I order it from Amazon, mostly because I didn't want to take the time to call around to see if drugstores stock it locally.
marbles (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

I will look into that, thank you.

I stopped the Eucarin, it was really hurting her, and the rash has gotten a bit better. I'm letting her go mostly diaper free, she doesn't use the toilet and I don't have a little potty right now to try, so I put her in a diaper to go places and when I think she'll poop Apparently, an allergic reaction to wipes is not uncommon, the description of that sounds exactly like what happened to Leia. I think I was aggravating it by covering it up with ointments and creams.

Question about the oatmeal bath: do I cook it first, or just use the oats in warm water? I have quick cooking oats, that will work?

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
ValiantJoy07 (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

yes raw oats in the water to make oatmeal soup water. Putting them in a nylon just keeps them all from going down the drain

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
marbles (02-22-2016)