Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How about a child going to college soon thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
One thing we were totally shocked about is that we were required as parents to take out a parent loan (or cough up the money upfront) up to a certain amount each year determined by some kind of income calculator based on the FAFSA. We will have to repay it same as a student loan upon ds's graduation.
Required?! Seriously? ds's financial aid package included parent loans, but we just declined those.
kiloyd (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #17
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

If we declined it, we would be required to pay that amount upfront (over $6500) or in monthly installments. There is no way we could do that because even with the scholarships, work study, student loans and this parent loan, we have a monthly payment of over $400.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #18
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we declined it, we would be required to pay that amount upfront (over $6500) or in monthly installments. There is no way we could do that because even with the scholarships, work study, student loans and this parent loan, we have a monthly payment of over $400.
I didn't realize they made you pay that up front. I hope that's not the case for us. They gave us an efc number but then gave him financial aid above and beyond the cost of everything. We plan to decline the parent loans and he'll just work to make up the difference. He did not receive any work study.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #19
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is the way I understand it is typically handled now. when we saw dd’s First FAFSA, we’ve told our kids we won’t do parent loans because we cannot afford a payment or loans. We have one more college year until our EFC is caught up to our cut in pay and dc will qualify for grants (note if people have income changes— you can apply to the specific college and ask them to reconsider EFC because of a significant decrease in income by but thwy not have to accept the request!)

It’s mind boggling because I know SO many people w $40k plus in debt some $75k.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
I don't think total independence is worth the price either. Why would we make him pay an extra $10000 a year to NOT be accountable to anyone? Most responsible adults are accountable to someone-spouse, kids!

That said, living with his grandfather will be like having a roommate he never sees. There are other negatives to the situation, but grandpa being controlling is not one of them.

He'd live at home with mom and dad if that was an option. As it is, he's trying to figure out how to afford to live on campus.

Other than helping him navigate the options, I'm not planning to do much micro-planning. I don't feel like I need to help him buy sheets, kitchen supplies, school supplies, or anything else like that. He can figure that stuff out on his own.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
We also just kinda helped w planning and didn’t micromanage Dd was the one who asked for special college stuff (cups, bags etc.) we bought some as gifts but she’s almost 100% self sufficient. So if we do buy something it’s an unexpected gift and she finds it I just pay

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

I sat down with ds this afternoon. He is planning to stay on campus rather than with grandpa. I think this is a good choice, but I still hear Dave Ramsey telling me to encourage him to do the cheapest option!

He will have to work 30 hours a week. I hope that is doable for him. He did it last semester with 4 classes at the cc, but I know they were easy classes compared to what he'll be doing next year.
kiloyd (02-26-2019), Lady TS (01-01-2020)
The Following User Says they are praying for heartofjoy:
tempus vernum (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #21
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I sat down with ds this afternoon. He is planning to stay on campus rather than with grandpa. I think this is a good choice, but I still hear Dave Ramsey telling me to encourage him to do the cheapest option!

He will have to work 30 hours a week. I hope that is doable for him. He did it last semester with 4 classes at the cc, but I know they were easy classes compared to what he'll be doing next year.
That sounds like a lot to me but he has to choose and I've heard it is doable for some kids It's his life and if he wants to live on campus, then he is choosing that. (just to help with the voice in your head - I'd struggle too )

I think it will depend on which classes, how many credits, and how much homework a particular teacher assigns. All kids are different on what they can do plus he will have to fend for himself.

Will he go ahead to find a job if he wasn't offered work study? The great part of work study is that they have to work around your classes At my college I did a ton of pet sitting, house sitting, baby sitting and what was called "sub parenting" (which is babysitting for a week at a time while people go on vacation). Of course, I had access to my sister's car so it was easier. But we had a job board as people were searching for college students all the time.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
kiloyd (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #22
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I did math tutoring. I worked for the EOP (equal opportunity placement, I think) tutoring disadvantaged freshmen and also used the job board to get some jobs tutoring children.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #23
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

It sounds like a lot to me too, but he does do SO MUCH better when he's busy. He procrastinates way less when his schedule is full. So it could be a good thing.

He works at Starbucks now, and he's hoping to transfer to the one closest to his school. We'll see if that is possible. I'm not sure when he should start asking.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

He wants to be an accountant, so I will definitely encourage him to look for opportunities in the university's business office!
kiloyd (02-26-2019), tempus vernum (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #24
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
It sounds like a lot to me too, but he does do SO MUCH better when he's busy. He procrastinates way less when his schedule is full. So it could be a good thing.

He works at Starbucks now, and he's hoping to transfer to the one closest to his school. We'll see if that is possible. I'm not sure when he should start asking.

My daughter just did a transfer for a promotion at Starbucks. She also just got home from work and her transfer happens March 7th . So I asked her -- She is saying tell the current manager a few months ahead of time he is going to college in the fall. Get help from that manager. He may be asked to contact the starbucks he wants to transfer to and meet with that manager as well.. it will depend on his manager and how much work the manager wants to do. There is a handout they gave her and she had to do the footwork. Some starbucks will let you work there during the year, work at home on breaks, etc. A continuous cycle of home/school.

Once her transfer/promotion was "casually approved" by both managers, they gave her a hand out and she had paperwork online to complete. her transfer/paperwork took a total of a month. (she can now see her last day at her current store and her new schedule).

BOTH managers need to approve. Feel free to PM if he needs more info.

heartofjoy (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 PM   #25
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Thanks for the info! I wonder if it'll be harder since they two stores are 4 hours away? That would be awesome if he could come home and work on holidays!!!

I am pretty sure his current manager knows he hopes to go away to college in the fall.

ECingMama (02-25-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:56 AM   #26
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I wonder if it'll be harder since they two stores are 4 hours away? That would be awesome if he could come home and work on holidays!!!

I am pretty sure his current manager knows he hopes to go away to college in the fall.

Well for a brief time, my dd will be on both stores payrolls. it’s bitter sweet for her as she’s attached to her store. And it’s bittersweet cuz work is a mile away and will not be 25 minutes away

If the manager knows he’s going to college, I’d start gathering info. It’s possible that every district/region is run differently. It’s worth asking if he could work on holiday breaks . Is he aware of the ASU tuition reimbursement program ... not to throw a wrench in plans

Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #27
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Well for a brief time, my dd will be on both stores payrolls. it’s bitter sweet for her as she’s attached to her store. And it’s bittersweet cuz work is a mile away and will not be 25 minutes away

If the manager knows he’s going to college, I’d start gathering info. It’s possible that every district/region is run differently. It’s worth asking if he could work on holiday breaks . Is he aware of the ASU tuition reimbursement program ... not to throw a wrench in plans
Yes, he's aware. They do not offer an accounting degree though. And he hates online classes. He may consider taking some classes through there in the summers though.

tempus vernum (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

DS got 45% off tuition and also gets the Palmetto Life Scholarship which gives I think $5,000/yr.

Those are a huge help on tuition but that room and board is SO much!

He's working on more scholarships.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
charla (02-26-2019)