Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #31
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Diaper Change Hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberrybabies View Post
An alternative that has also worked well for me with my bigger guy is to sit beside the child and use my leg over torso and arms.
This is what I did also. I don't think my feet would have held my dd.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #32
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
I hold their feet in one hand and lift them. I don't spread their bottom as much as I wipe inside of it. Not sure if that makes sense written out

The key is that no body limb is unattended and able to flail about And I do hold them firmly--but not roughly and it's not tight. Just secure
I think I understand what you're describing above... I guess my boy just has a chubby bottom, but I've got to spread his bottom apart to get all the poo cleaned up - even when it's a "normal" poo (not diarrhea).

Maybe this is just the wrong hold for the job I have to do... Would you use this hold for a poop-splosion where the poo has covered every bit of skin normally covered by a diaper? You know - the kind where sticky, goopy mess is in every crack, fold, and crevice possible, and you need 45 wipes to clean it up? Or is this hold just for the quick-y changes where the diaper is only wet or the poo is solid and a quick wipe will do it? I can see the hold working for that sort of change.

BTW - I think you must be a stronger lady than I am to keep a toddler from wiggling with just your feet and one hand! Maybe I ought to go work out more...

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #33
CompassionateLady

I don't spread Princess Piglet's legs either.

While I have her feet held with one hand, I bring her legs back towards her a bit, so her knees are close to her belly, and lift her a bit. Helps spread the rear area to her chubby rear better lol. That's just me, though.

{gosh, not only could I NOT visualize that right ... but I had to sort of act it out with my hands so I could tell if I had it right. Must be bedtime }
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (01-31-2010), CapeTownMommy (02-01-2010)
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #34
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

This thread is making me laugh

for a poop-splosion I turn on the bath water and use the spray-faucet to hose them off in the tub
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Aisling (02-26-2010), Dovenoir (10-17-2011), Maggirayne (02-01-2010)
Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #35
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. I don't have one of those. Whenever I've tried putting DS in the tub to clean a dirty diaper I end up with a bigger mess than when I started. Poo goes EVERYWHERE, and DS tries to drink the bathwater.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

when we didn't have one I would run the water without using the stopper and then put the baby in the tub standing up. I'd use a cup to pour the water down them and a washcloth to wipe them down. If it was really bad then when that was done I'd rinse out the tub and fill some water in it for a little bubble bath
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #37
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

It's really bad - and sometimes several times a day. We can't afford the water bill for DS to take that many baths!

(like I haven't already hijacked this thread enough...) I did too good a job of teaching DS to sit in the tub - he won't stand up in the tub for me now, even when I tell him it's ok. So he sits in the water, gets the water all poopy, then splashes it around the tub (even without the stopper in, the tub drains kind of slow). Does that make sense? I'm amazed at what a mess this boy can make, without even half-trying!

I think I'll stick with my current diaper change posture, at least until the diarrhea clears up... I need the leverage of being able to pretty much lay on DS to spread those rigid legs while I clean him up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-01-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #38
boobymummy

lol! Bit hard on the back though!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #39
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm just too short and fat for that if I don't have my legs straight the baby's butt is on me, and if I have them straight I can't bend over and reach their butt or reach to hold their legs up.

I either do it really fast and have their feet bent in front of their chest before they know it (and I have leverage to hold them there without letting them do the stiff as a board thing) Or I hopefully can get some one to come running quickly with cries of HELP POO!!!!! I do also do the sit beside them with a leg over their chest if they are older toddlers who are cranky and overtired and not wanting to lay still a second.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #40
Buela

While that hold looks awesome, I really think I need to see you professional mom's change a diaper, you make it sound so easy!

But alas, I can't hold even a tiny babes feet with one hand. And I can't reach the diaper well at all from that angle, I get kicked in the face or chest regularly while changing diapes -- but I'm a hobbit
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #41
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

BlueEyed Lady, it looks to me that you've established a negative cycle re: diaper changes. Your DS expects a negative experience, tenses, has a negative experience and on it goes.

Would it help to do "dry" runs? (I crack myself up. ) Practice the hold playfully when you are NOT in need of changing the diaper. Tickle him, use his foot as a telephone (my dc love that!), sing a song about the different parts of his body a la "Aluetta" or Head and Shoulders. Help him move in to a happier space so that when you do need to change his diaper, he can expect a happier experience, and relax instead of tensing for the inevitable fight.

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #42
Waterlogged
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

grace is for mamas too

Waterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond repute

I tried it this morning - not for poop, but to contain the wiggles - and it worked like a charm! The picture really helped.
Waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #43
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Ha - I did it! We had a not-too-bad poopy diaper, so I gave the position a try. DS actually cooperated!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-01-2010), BlessedBlue (02-02-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #44
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I also put the clean diaper under the dirty one before I take the dirty diaper off.. Clean real fast, pull out the dirty diaper & quickly fold the clean one over before you get peed on(not that that has ever happened to me.. ).

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-01-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #45
sothisislove
Rose Blossom

sothisislove will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
I think I understand what you're describing above... I guess my boy just has a chubby bottom, but I've got to spread his bottom apart to get all the poo cleaned up - even when it's a "normal" poo (not diarrhea).

Maybe this is just the wrong hold for the job I have to do... Would you use this hold for a poop-splosion where the poo has covered every bit of skin normally covered by a diaper? You know - the kind where sticky, goopy mess is in every crack, fold, and crevice possible, and you need 45 wipes to clean it up? Or is this hold just for the quick-y changes where the diaper is only wet or the poo is solid and a quick wipe will do it? I can see the hold working for that sort of change.

BTW - I think you must be a stronger lady than I am to keep a toddler from wiggling with just your feet and one hand! Maybe I ought to go work out more...
HAHAHAHAHAHA You said 'poop-splosion'!!! LOL
DD 11/12/2011
Homeschooling!
sothisislove is offline   Reply With Quote