Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flip phone or smart phone?

Thought my purse made it into the van this morning along with the diaper bag. Nope! Ran over my purse with the front van tire, only thing in it was my wallet and slider phone. Phone looked fine. But later used it and the dfg area of the keypad bulges up , still works though. So not getting a new phone just yet.

I did finally write all the numbers from my phone out on paper today though.

I really really like flip phones. They are just small in my pocket, last longer because the keypad gets protected.

I only want a phone for calling, texting and picture messaging. I really really really do not want to fall into the trap and put email or FB on a smart phone if/when I get one.

You generally only see people over 60 with flip phones (my dad). But my dad will text on his a little bit and picture message. My mom has a smart phone and was not going to put FB or email on it but she did.

I have a tablet and do not like replying to FB messages or email on it.

I either join the 21st century or be strong and don't mind any laughs at my flip phone.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flip phone or smart phone?

I really love my smartphone because I can take pictures and video on it, and I just love doing that!

And, I love my audiobooks!!!

And yes, I am addicted to my FB and email on my phone too. blah!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (08-13-2019), twoplustwo (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Proud flip phone user here . It used to be because of cost, but now I'm a conscientious objector of sorts - best way to teach my kids they can function without a smartphone is to function without one myself. (Also I don't trust myself with one.) I used a Motorola Razr for over a decade, till they quit supporting it . (I had great fun ironically bragging on my phone as "the cool phone of '05" . It was an awesome phone, though - I miss it.) Now I have the cheapest-phone-they-carry that they gave me free to replace my Razr.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I would just get a flip phone since that’s what you want. I love my smartphone for music, audio books and to satisfy my curiosity at a moments notice. Also gps which is free unlike a separate gps. We are out of the house a significant amount of time that it would be a problem to not have access to email but I set it for no notifications. I do think smart phones are just digital collars but it offers me enough to do it anyways.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I liked my life better when I just had a flip phone.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, then do just a flip phone

I do too much from my phone— paying bills, emailing, running the Facebook page for the magazine I write for— during random moments throughout the day. I couldn’t smoothly and happily transition back right now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
If you can, then do just a flip phone

I do too much from my phone— paying bills, emailing, running the Facebook page for the magazine I write for— during random moments throughout the day. I couldn’t smoothly and happily transition back right now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly! Transitioning back that is, hard to go backwards.

I do like the keypad for texting. But I was pretty good at texting on a flip phone.

I like a real key board in front of me. I don't reply to FB or email on my tablet, too small.

The only thing that is kind of annoying is that I often forward myself pictures people send me to my email so I can see them bigger. But....I need to get bifocals so that will help too. haha!

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I would just get a flip phone since that’s what you want. I love my smartphone for music, audio books and to satisfy my curiosity at a moments notice. Also gps which is free unlike a separate gps. We are out of the house a significant amount of time that it would be a problem to not have access to email but I set it for no notifications. I do think smart phones are just digital collars but it offers me enough to do it anyways.
I don't care about the music and don't like audio books, like a real book in my hands.

The "curiosity at a moments notice" is something people are so quick to do. "Hey Siri, what's blah blah blah". DD just asked Siri the price of screen protectors on an iPhone7 that she just got today.

Yeah, I hate my GPS. Looked up the price of a new one thinking it would be about $50, nope! more like $150.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (08-14-2019)
The Following User Says they are praying for kiloyd:
Mother of Sons (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am not trading my smart phone for a flip phone unless I needed to. I use it an enjoy it too much (maps, travel soccer club app, fit bit app, netflix, bible app, scan my tickets rather than paper tickets for sports/event, reward apps, kids school app, amazon app, habits app, running app, etc. calendar linked to my google calendar with reminders and such) It supports my organization. I also like that I have a game or two if I end up waiting without a book on hand.

I don't use it for social media very often. I don't social media much anyway and usually use a computer to check facebook.

But I'd totally give it up for a flip phone for cost reasons if I didn't have much desire to do all that stuff I listed above. But I do have a great desire. . . am I an app addict? No, no, I could quit anytime . . .really I could . . .
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (08-14-2019), kiloyd (08-14-2019), Llee (08-17-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The "curiosity at a moments notice" is something people are so quick to do. "Hey Siri, what's blah blah blah". DD just asked Siri the price of screen protectors on an iPhone7 that she just got today.

Do you see that as a bad thing? I don’t usually use Siri but I search for things all the time.

On Siri, the one thing I do use it for is finding places near me. We are away from home a lot during the week so being able to find a grocery store gas station or restaurant is really nice.

I do like being able to combine things I use into one device. I don’t have to carry around a camera, a video recorder, a calculator, a metronome, a tuner, a compass, various medical logs, a calendar, an iPod, a gps (also I love that this shows traffic and reroutes me for the best way), a pulse meter, a watch, a timer, an alarm, a stack of books (if I could I would get rid of all paper books)a photo album, a note pad, my budget and financial accounts oh and a phone �� etc. I use all those things daily or near daily so having them all in one place for me is really great.

Im not trying to talk you into it at all. I just think there are more reasons than Facebook that someone would use a smart phone and it’s not necessarily the bad thing it gets made out to be.

Last edited by Mother of Sons; 08-14-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (08-14-2019), kiloyd (08-15-2019), Llee (08-17-2019), Virginia (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Dh and I were totally against getting a smart phone but due to his work situation, we realized we needed something with a little data which our old slider phone did not have the option for. We use the smart phone a ton, especially dh for work. However, we don't have our email installed on there and while facebook is installed on there, we very rarely look at it because we prefer fb on a desktop or laptop. He appreciates having the maps on the smart phone. I like being able to take pics and video and playing an occasional game while waiting for something. We don't regret the decision one bit and wouldn't go back, but I think you need to do what works best for you.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (08-14-2019), kiloyd (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Fundamentally, the reason I don't want a smartphone is the same reason that most people do want one: I don't want to have an always-available internet connection, and I don't want to have an always-available computer. A portable internet-connected computer is powerful and seductively convenient, and I *don't* want to shape my life around it and have it shape me in turn. Tech has shaped me far more than enough as it is - I don't want to invite it even further into my life.

~*~

WRT to GPS, I find navigating by map far superior to navigating by phone . Dh has a smartphone, and he invariably uses it to navigate, and so when I'm with him I use it, too. But I just did a cross-country trip with my sister, and even though she has a smartphone, we used an atlas exclusively. And it was *so* much better than using gps and map apps, even with an unexpected detour. In addition to allowing us to see the big picture much better, using the atlas was much more relaxing. I felt so much more competent and confident. Give me a good map any day - I actively prefer a map to GPS. I avoid GPS whenever possible (which is always, except when dh insists .)

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
Do you see that as a bad thing? I don’t usually use Siri but I search for things all the time.
Not always. Sometimes. It's a neat feature though.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10