Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #1
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation
Default Organizing trouble spots - ideas?

I have two spots in our entry/front of the house that really are starting to get to me.

Shoe mess and recycle piles/bins/mess.

Shoes were easily managed when we had children's sized shoes but we are all adult sized to some degree now and so there are upwards of ten pairs of shoes loitering all over our entry way. Ideally Inwould like them to the left behind the front door but there is only room for three pairs on the floor there.

Recycles - how do you organize/store your recycling in your house? We do not have a garage and our front closet it full because we don't have a garage. We make a lot of recycling more than we do trash but our trash gets picked up twice a week and recycling doesn't get picked up but every other week. I can put the cans glass and plastics outside but papers would get gross and wet in two weeks if being outside or blow away. Ideas?
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #2
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organizing trouble spots - ideas?

Do you have a recycling centre you can take things to instead of waiting for pick-up? Can this be tied in with other errands and done regularly?

Can family members store most of their shoes in their bedrooms? This way only one pair per person should be by the door throughout the day.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Virginia (09-18-2017), WanderingJuniper (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

We have a wooden shoe rack in the bottom of our front closet for some shoe spares. Ideally, only one pair per person is allowed by the front door....but that's still a pile at our house. Other shoes go in their own closets or in the front hall closet.

Can you fit a shoe cubbie anywhere? A little shelf? I like the tall, narrow fabric cubbies that hang from a rod. They don't take much space in a closet.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

For shoes: a shoe rack or large basket? We have a narrow 3 shelf shoe rack which fits behind the door.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

What about a vertical shoe rack? Ikea has some that are compact and would fit behind a door.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Can you post a picture of your entryway?

The city gives us a giant recycle bin that we keep outside. like this https://adairparkatlanta.files.wordp...ycling-bin.jpg You don't have one? What do you put your recycleables in at the curb?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

The Ikea shoe organizer came to my mind too. It is so compact!
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough

I was in Staples on Friday and noticed they had some storage bins with lids and a water-tight seal. If you cannot use a large recycle bin like the blue one pictured above, then you could look into something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Can you post a picture of your entryway?

The city gives us a giant recycle bin that we keep outside. like this https://adairparkatlanta.files.wordp...ycling-bin.jpg You don't have one? What do you put your recycleables in at the curb?
I'll see if I can post a pic of my entry. We had a basket before that was narrow enough to fit behind the door but with big shoes it didn't work. Part of the issue is workbooks for three people.

I would LOVE an outside tote like that for recycles! We have three open top bins. Our trashcan is like the pic you posted.

I'm going to look at IKEA for shoe solutions.

I don't like having my son take his sneakers to his room because then his whole room stinks! Shoe stink is another issue I'm open to ideas on.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post

I would LOVE an outside tote like that for recycles! We have three open top bins. Our trashcan is like the pic you posted.
Are the open bins the only option in your city?

When we owned a house I asked about and got a recycling bin that had a lid and was bigger than our trash can, I also got them to give me a smaller trash can.

Most things where we live now are open bins but there are 4 houses that I drive by that have little rolling cans with lids so I know there is a way to get them. I rent and so don't have the ability to call and ask about it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #11
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

Open bins are the only option from our township. We have three and we fill them all by the second week. Now they don't even offer bins they give you a decal to add to whatever you purchase. :eyeroll

I would LOVE a large closed lid tote to have by the curb with the trashcan but it would not be responsible for us to spend that right now. Ones I've found are more than $100.

I "think" I have pics for our entry. Excuse the bulb box my husband forgot to take with him that morning. Also this is after 4/5 of my family has left. Usually there are 3 large book bags here as well as 3-6 more pairs of shoes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...VVPalFMcW85aHM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...VVPalFMcW85aHM

I am looking at either getting unfinished wooden crates or having Hubs and I make something like this out of some scrap wood outback.
http://101pallets.com/wp-content/upl...shoes-rack.jpg

Last edited by WanderingJuniper; 09-20-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Your pallet shelf idea would work perfectly for that space. What do you store in the closet? Can shoe shelves be put in there? I have something like this in one of my closets and it is adjusted for the space. I think I paid less than $20 at a big box store. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...fcadlfW8Bi&s=p

Your pallet idea is better, but I know how likely a project like that is to get done in my house.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
Your pallet shelf idea would work perfectly for that space. What do you store in the closet?
:rofl Everything! We don't have a basement or a garage . . :/ It has a storage shelf in it that holds all our cycling gear, other sport equipment, winter jackets are stored to the right and under th m are winter boots, coolers that get used frequently and camping chairs that also get us d frequently. It is organized but FULL.

Quote:
Your pallet idea is better, but I know how likely a project like that is to get done in my house.
that is a risk but I "think" it has a good chance of getting done if we do it together. On his own Hubs either won't do it or won't be as careful about the dimensions. We also tend to enjoy doing projects together so that helps. We made the bag rack and the landing shelf and refinished the stool in the one pic. All from free/upcycled items.
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #14
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I like the pallet shelf. This is what I did in my entry, which might work for yours but would cost more (my entry is in my living room so I wanted something closed)

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/06/i...y-lockers.html

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (09-24-2017)