Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default ugh! when they pick out tacky clothing

do you let them keep it my 3 olders went shopping with gma and she let them pick out some clothes and the 6 yo came home with just this awful outfit

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-224...recs-pdp-gtab1

i mean i am the one who has to be seen with her in public!!

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ugh! when they pick out tacky clothing

yup. The only time I veto is if I feel it is inappropriate /sexual looking.

the outfit you posted, not my cup of tea and borderline for me. Mu MiL bought something similar from khols for dd1. The outfit with pink and black lace and satin and toulle in a shirt/skirt thing that just. Ugly. And seemed off some how. Risqué in some way. Also hello kitty which is not my fave.

I got rid of it asap.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 08-13-2015 at 03:13 PM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

It is not my body. If the clothes aren't inappropriate they can keep it.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-14-2015), bananacake (08-14-2015), CJNeeley (08-13-2015), eoconnel (08-15-2015), graciousmomma (08-16-2015), L-Boogie (08-14-2015), rjy9343 (08-13-2015), SewingGreenMama (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I agree. I don't veto for tacky. My kids wear a lot of tacky clothes despite my preference against them... It's an expression of their taste, and I let them have that. I sure wore my share of tacky clothes as a kid.

I do absolutely veto for inappropriate or with words that I don't approve of.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-14-2015), backtobasicsmum (08-13-2015), CJNeeley (08-13-2015), eoconnel (08-15-2015), GraceLikeRain (08-17-2015), graciousmomma (08-16-2015), L-Boogie (08-14-2015), milkmommy (08-13-2015), rdsmommy (08-13-2015), RiverRock (08-16-2015), rjy9343 (08-13-2015), SewingGreenMama (08-14-2015), Virginia (08-13-2015), WanderingJuniper (08-16-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, normally i roll with a bunch of things, i mean my 3 yo was at the park the other day wearing her 1yo brothers onsie (sticking out/un done cuz obviously it was too small) which was on backwards, and pants that were inside out and her shoes on the wrong feet. but you know she did her self so

but this outfit is just "iffy enough" for me to be on the fence. i mean the princessy dog --ugh but whatever, the awful houndstooth leggings tacky but whatever, but maybe it is the black tulle?? i dunno. something just seems to push it

i am leaning towards just letting her keep it, and praying it doesn't become a favorite, because whatever ends up her "favorite" is worn ALL.the.time.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Awww, maybe I'm the odd man out but I don't think it looks that bad. I mean it matches which is more than I can say for some of dd' s (9yr) outfits. I honestly think it looks like a little girls outfit and I give it points for not looking like a teenage outfit. I would not wear it but my dd would and she would love it. I have changed my thinking a lot though over the years. I remember the first time dd wanted to pick out her own shoes and I had a heart attack because they were silver and not a basic neutral color. At this point I actually appreciate her sense of style. Sometimes she puts together an outfit and I'm thinking "there is no way that's gonna work" and then she puts on and it is totally her.

Last edited by rdsmommy; 08-13-2015 at 01:25 PM.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-14-2015), GraceLikeRain (08-17-2015), marbles (08-14-2015), melliethepooh (08-23-2015), milkmommy (08-13-2015), Soliloquy (08-13-2015), sweetpeasmommy (08-23-2015), twoplustwo (08-13-2015), Virginia (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is hideous. But My DD would be super excited about a fancy dog, fancy ruffles, and pants that make her look like a checkers board. The fabrics are appropriate as far as not requiring hand washing or any extra care, so I say avert your eyes and roll with it.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Ajani (08-14-2015), AngelaVA (08-14-2015), bananacake (08-14-2015), ECingMama (08-13-2015), GraceLikeRain (08-17-2015), Johns_Gal (08-13-2015), L-Boogie (08-14-2015), SewingGreenMama (08-14-2015), WanderingJuniper (08-16-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like it, but I would let her wear it. It's not like she will be the only little girl wearing tacky little girl outfits. I doubt you are the only mother that is embarrassed by her daughter's questionable taste or that is thankful that at least this time this is an actual outfit meant to be worn together as opposed to the tutu, cowboy boots and raincoat she wore last time.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Not my style - but at least it matches? I wish my kids would consider matching a bit more often (thankfully, they are all beyond the "it's all flowers, so it matches!" stage)
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (08-16-2015), Kiara.I (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I do suggest taking pictures of these outfits. If you have to suffer through seeing them, your child's future self should too
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (08-16-2015), AngelaVA (08-14-2015), houseforjoy (08-13-2015), L-Boogie (08-15-2015), melliethepooh (08-23-2015), mellifera (08-16-2015), rjy9343 (08-13-2015), schmamy (08-14-2015), squiddles (08-14-2015), Starfish (08-17-2015), twoplustwo (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

I veto clothes that don't match - simply because my son is almost 12, and is starting to become aware of what is and isn't appropriate, and looks to me for guidelines.

So if something is horrific (like the orange and brown shirt with the yellow and blue plaid shorts from the other day) I tell him "Nope, that doesn't work, try again" and explain colours to him.

But something that isn't what I would pick but matches and is clean? More power to him
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I could totally see my mom buying my girls something like this. She actually bought T something similar for Christmas last year (ruffled scottie dog shirt with exact same houndstooth leggings). What I did was let her wear it a few times, especially when Mom was here. But I have a "leggings aren't pants" rule in our house, and the girls have to wear skirts or dresses over leggings, and fortunately T didn't really like wearing the outfit with a skirt, so she didn't wear it often. After a couple of months, the outfit mysteriously disappeared and T didn't even notice.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-14-2015), SewingGreenMama (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, look down to the "if you liked this, you'll love" section. It could have been worse. Looking at you, electric blue zebra.

DS wants this shirt from children's place that, um, burns me. I'm buying it because he'll light up like a Christmas tree upon seeing it in his closet. But wow.

I admit I like seeing kids dress themselves, but I loathe some of the stuff on the racks. I'll just be quietly grateful my kids don't really care what they wear yet, save for that garishly red taco truck shirt.

Course, that means half the time I'm yelling at them to put on pants already, so fifty fifty.
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johns_Gal For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (08-13-2015), sweetpeasmommy (08-23-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
Hey, look down to the "if you liked this, you'll love" section. It could have been worse. Looking at you, electric blue zebra.
She's right as bad as that is, the others look like something that was made on a dare or maybe after smoking something that should be illegal if it isn't already. Most if not all little girl clothes seems to be a contest to see just how tacky and over the top you can make something and still sell it. And for some reason little girls love it and think it is beautiful. You should see the shoes Ivy wears, all of them look like something I bought her after I lost a bet. Her clothes are only slightly better, but if she will wear them I'm calling it a win.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I guess I want to know what your girls DO wear. While I wouldn't buy that particular outfit, my mom would & I wouldn't say a thing as I don't find it "tacky". I might buy the butterfly outfit because I think it's kind of cute, but I don't generally buy animal prints or pics because I don't prefer them.

I would find all of those tacky for an adult though.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote