Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #31
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ugh! when they pick out tacky clothing

It sounds snooty and I don't care... Most of Chickadees clothes are h&m or baby gap. I get almost everything consignment. At the extreme a whole outfit costs $8. I try to steer clear of Walmart and (now out of Canada) Target.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
squiddles (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #32
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It sounds snooty and I don't care... Most of Chickadees clothes are h&m or baby gap. I get almost everything consignment. At the extreme a whole outfit costs $8. I try to steer clear of Walmart and (now out of Canada) Target.
This is how I got most of outfits for Cecilia when she was younger. Sadly I cant do this anymore. We don't have consignment type stores here just like good will etc.. My choice for the most part is either spending like $5-$12 an outfit at like Walmart or target etc.. or spending 10-20xs that at a speciality store. I dislike not having another option.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #33
RooMama
Rose Garden

Who am I?

RooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter would have been over the moon over that outfit a few years ago. If it weren't for the dog on it, I would find it adorable for a little girl. It looks very little girlish, it's not nearly grown up enough for a tween or teen. Also, that style is very in, your daughter would not stand out a bit in that outfit.

ETA: just showed the outfit to my daughter, she's 8, starting 3rd grade. She loved it and all of the other suggested outfits on the page, especially the zebra print. She tends toward over the top in every area of her life.

Last edited by RooMama; 08-18-2015 at 06:02 PM.
RooMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RooMama For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-24-2015), milkmommy (08-17-2015), rjy9343 (08-19-2015), Virginia (08-23-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #34
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
This is how I got most of outfits for Cecilia when she was younger. Sadly I cant do this anymore. We don't have consignment type stores here just like good will etc.. My choice for the most part is either spending like $5-$12 an outfit at like Walmart or target etc.. or spending 10-20xs that at a speciality store. I dislike not having another option.
We are lucky to have a good consignment shop here. I can't stand picking through racks and the smells in places like good will and value village hurt my head.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #35
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooMama View Post
ETA: just showed the outfit to my daughter, she's 8, starting 3rd grade. She loved it and all of the other suggested outfits on the page, especially the zebra print. She tends toward over the top in every area of her life.
Mine is five, but she is all or nothing as well. She can't find the middle of the road with a map and compass or a sheet of very detailed directions. She seems to be a firm believer in go big or go home. And the girl goes big every single time.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-24-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #36
Saoirse
Rose Garden

Coming out into the Light!

Saoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Since my son's SPD makes shopping and then wearing the clothes he picks out so difficult, I really don't care what he wears as long as I don't have to fight him to wear it. I don't care if he doesn't match, the clothes are tacky, or even if they are seasonally inappropriate. If he'll wear it, I let him. The only restrictions I put on his clothes revolve around cleanliness. He can't wear the same shirt two days in a row (that is a slippery slope to him deciding to never wear any other shirts ever again because he likes that ONE).

My DD was 2 when she picked out an orange shirt and pink pants. I decided right then and there that my kids could wear what they want regardless of how awful the outfits look. They are learning to develop their style.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no qualms about looking at DH and saying, "You canNOT wear that, it looks TERRIBLE together. Go change."

"A victim lives in fear. A Survivor endures. A victim is weak and powerless, paying for what was not her doing.
A Survivor has grown strong because she knows the price is not hers to pay, the sin is not hers to atone." - unknown

Alis volat propriis

SingleFabulousMamas unite!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saoirse For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-24-2015), rjy9343 (08-23-2015), Sparrow (08-23-2015), sweetpeasmommy (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #37
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
We don't have any good consignment shops but I find tons of fantastic name brand clothes at good will and salvation army.

Takes longer looking through, but you can get it at a great deal.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #38
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
We don't have any good consignment shops but I find tons of fantastic name brand clothes at good will and salvation army.

Takes longer looking through, but you can get it at a great deal.
Sadly we dont (another thing we could do in other towns) its not as hard for the adult clothes though one does have to search well. For kids its extremely there aren't really any higher ended stores anywhere around here people but from Walmart Target and for "fancy" its like Kohls and sears. Macys and Dillard's are about as fancy as things get around here and its rare for those things to end up at good will. So we jsut dont see that kinda stuff around there parts.
2sunshines (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #39
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

I have Big Ugly Feels about this whole topic. A constant theme of my childhood was that the clothes and accessories I liked were tacky, trashy, low-rent, etc. it was really damaging for my mom to look down on everything I found pretty. It was not conducive to my self-esteem to not be able to choose my own clothes because I had 'no taste' and the things I liked weren't good enough. My kids pick their own clothes, period.
2sunshines (08-23-2015), Johns_Gal (08-24-2015), rjy9343 (08-23-2015), SamRose (08-24-2015), twoplustwo (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #40
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
I have Big Ugly Feels about this whole topic. A constant theme of my childhood was that the clothes and accessories I liked were tacky, trashy, low-rent, etc. it was really damaging for my mom to look down on everything I found pretty. It was not conducive to my self-esteem to not be able to choose my own clothes because I had 'no taste' and the things I liked weren't good enough. My kids pick their own clothes, period.
I agree. Says the mom who cringed inwardly but never let it appear on the outside when my 12 year old daughter wore athletic shorts and an oversized athletic tshirt to church today...
Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #41
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clear the air I in no way commented to her about it being tacky!!! Just vented about it here . I did just finally get it washed (it was in her fall clothes at first but she asked to have it for now). And I do the majority of the clothes shopping so it really just never came up . I don't really care about matching and such most of the time either (which may be why it took us so long to realize ds was colorblind) anyway I really was just mostly curious what others did

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
bliss (08-23-2015), Johns_Gal (08-24-2015), milkmommy (08-23-2015), SamRose (08-24-2015)