Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freezer to Crockpot Meals

What store had gf ravioli? I haven't ever seen it. Is it egg free? I'm guessing it might not be.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Wait a minute, you soak the beans and then freeze them, but don't cook them and then cook them with the meal? If so, that is genius!
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-12-2018), tempus vernum (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #17
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
What store had gf ravioli? I haven't ever seen it. Is it egg free? I'm guessing it might not be.
Market Basket - a NE store. But it's not egg-free

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Wait a minute, you soak the beans and then freeze them, but don't cook them and then cook them with the meal? If so, that is genius!
Soak then freeze! Don't cook! Isn't it amazing? I'll soak a big bag and then freeze just plain. Lay the bag flat, and you can break chunks off easily! And they don't come out mushy!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-12-2018), Quiteria (01-16-2019), RiverRock (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #18
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
[/COLOR]

Soak then freeze! Don't cook! Isn't it amazing? I'll soak a big bag and then freeze just plain. Lay the bag flat, and you can break chunks off easily! And they don't come out mushy!
Yup! Exactly! I've been doing it that way for years. Canned beans tend to overcook in the crockpot, anyway. (And you avoid any questions about possible BPA in cans.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-13-2018), charla (09-12-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #19
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

This week I'm going to try the Italian beef and a slow cooker spaghetti bolognese sauce. I thought that restaurants prepped pasta ahead and then reheated it, so I'm going to google how to do that.

I really need to find some time to organize some freezer meal planning, grocery store shopping, money for advanced grocery shopping, and then a block of time to put together a bunch of freezer meals. I can only think of maybe two other times I have done that. Two freezer meals per week will be used up quickly, but it would make my life so much easier. On the days I have to use the crockpot for dance, I feel like I'm spending all of the time not at dance in the kitchen so freezer meals would simplify that greatly if I just had to dump and turn on the crockpot rather than assembling the recipe, too.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #20
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I made SW chicken today - yum!

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #21
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

You can reheat cooked pasta by pouring boiling water over it. I use my electric kettle because it's the fastest way to boil water. Put the pasta in a colander set inside a larger bowl, pour water over and let it soak a couple of minutes, then you just pull out the colander and the pasta is drained.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #22
charla
Administrator

So I think my plan for tomorrow's grocery shopping is to buy a family-sized package of chicken breasts at Aldi's, and put together one freezer meal each of chicken teriyaki and the chicken for tacos. I might even make a simple one of chicken breasts and bbq sauce. I'm also going to try to put together a balsamic beef roast with carrots. That will give me three or four freezer crockpot meals which is a start. Maybe if I could do about three a week, I'd get ahead at some point.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-19-2019)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #23
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We tried beef stroganoff yesterday. I loved it

We r having sesame chicken soon too.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
charla (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This week I'm going to try the Italian beef and a slow cooker spaghetti bolognese sauce. I thought that restaurants prepped pasta ahead and then reheated it, so I'm going to google how to do that.
We once did a spaghetti fundraiser at church. The noodles were pre-cooked al dente (or a little less) and then a small amount of olive oil was added so the noodles didn't stick together. The portions were then put into ziplock bags until needed. I'm pretty sure we then dumped the bag contents into a colander that could be lowered into boiling water for a minute or two. The noodles drained when the colander was lifted. Darcy's suggestion of pouring water from a kettle would also work.

At the same time you are cooking your noodles you can also cook other things like quinoa and boiled eggs...or whatever else would help you with other meals you have planned.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
charla (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
charla
Administrator

So I assembled quite a few freezer meals this afternoon and got them in the freezer!

Here's what I have :
1 bag Italian Beef
1 bag Balsamic Roast Beef and Carrots
1 bag bbq chicken
2 bags chicken tacos
1 bag Chicken Teriyaki
2 bags bbq meatballs - my grandma's recipe
2 bags brown sugar carrots

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-17-2018), Quiteria (01-19-2019), RiverRock (09-22-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #26
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

I prepped and froze 4 kinds of meatballs a few weeks ago - 2 lbs simple Italian (just meat, onion, garlic and Italian seasonings), and 2 lbs Thai Mini Meatballs. The latter are SO good! And they froze really well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-17-2018), RiverRock (09-22-2018), tempus vernum (09-17-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #27
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I prepped and froze 4 kinds of meatballs a few weeks ago - 2 lbs simple Italian (just meat, onion, garlic and Italian seasonings), and 2 lbs Thai Mini Meatballs. The latter are SO good! And they froze really well.
What do you serve the Thai meatballs with?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #28
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
What do you serve the Thai meatballs with?

Trader Joe's makes a sweet chili sauce that the boys used. I served it with rice and veggies. Or just as an appetizer I actually made Italian meatballs as the meal, but everyone kept eating the others which I intended to freeze.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #29
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any info about the safety aspect of cooking from frozen in a slow cooker?

I've always done it but then someone on a slow cooker fb page jumped all over me about how easy it is to cause food poisoning that way because it takes too long to heat the food up out of the danger zone, especially with large cuts of meat.

My frozen dump bags were a life saver after T was born but I've been scared to do it since, and having to remember to defrost takes all the ease out of it. Since it can take 48+ hours to defrost stuff in our fridge, and leaving things on the counter to defrost is frowned on too apparently (my mom has always done it and never given anyone food poisoning )

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #30
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 View Post
Does anyone have any info about the safety aspect of cooking from frozen in a slow cooker?

I've always done it but then someone on a slow cooker fb page jumped all over me about how easy it is to cause food poisoning that way because it takes too long to heat the food up out of the danger zone, especially with large cuts of meat.

My frozen dump bags were a life saver after T was born but I've been scared to do it since, and having to remember to defrost takes all the ease out of it. Since it can take 48+ hours to defrost stuff in our fridge, and leaving things on the counter to defrost is frowned on too apparently (my mom has always done it and never given anyone food poisoning )
Officially you aren't supposed to dofrozen meat in a slow cooker ( prusher cooker is fine ). https://www. thekitchn.com/stop-putting-frozen-chicken-in-your-slow-cooker-usda-256924

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote