Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Fake Reviews on Amazon (and other large retailers)

I heard on a podcast that 30% of Amazon reviews are fake, even if they have the "verified purchase" notation. People are getting refunds for posting a 5 star reviews as a hobby, using FB groups to find out what to buy and who to contact for a refund. Just in the course of my normal shopping, I was contacted by a 3rd party seller after leaving a 1 star review for an item. They offered to refund my purchase (and let me keep the item) if I changed my review to 5 stars. Here's an article about how to spot fake reviews.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/spot-fak...t-buy-walmart/
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (12-04-2019), passthemanna (12-04-2019), Singingmom (12-04-2019), tempus vernum (12-10-2019), twoplustwo (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fake Reviews on Amazon (and other large retailers)

It's so frustrating. I was looking at Boogie Board and Boogie Board-alternatives today, and so many of the knock-off reviews were obviously fake. I always check the 1 and 2 star reviews and then decide whether or not those complaints are relevant to me. I find them more useful than 5 star reviews on products that are likely to have a bunch of fake reviews (i.e.: anything other than books - but then again, even books, since many reviewers get review copies of books and then feel guilty leaving anything other than 5 star reviews).

DS1 spent a lot of time learning how to spot fake reviews with me when he was looking into buying a drone. It was quite eye-opening for him.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (12-04-2019), Quiteria (12-05-2019), Singingmom (12-04-2019), twoplustwo (12-05-2019), Virginia (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeGracie View Post
It's so frustrating. I was looking at Boogie Board and Boogie Board-alternatives today, and so many of the knock-off reviews were obviously fake. I always check the 1 and 2 star reviews and then decide whether or not those complaints are relevant to me. I find them more useful than 5 star reviews on products that are likely to have a bunch of fake reviews (i.e.: anything other than books - but then again, even books, since many reviewers get review copies of books and then feel guilty leaving anything other than 5 star reviews).
I always look at the 1 and 2 star reviews, they are the ones I find helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fake Reviews on Amazon (and other large retailers)

I used to do not fake reviews in exchange for free or discounted products back when amazon allowed it. They stopped allowing it several years ago so anyone still doing it outside of the Amazon Vine programbis operating outside Amazon TOS Fraudulent reviews is a huge problem. Here is what I personally look for when evaluating reviews;

Look at the dates on the reviews. Did they all come in a very short period of time or several chunks of a couple of weeks time several months apart? If so, they are likely pushing their product out in batches in exchange for fake reviews.

A more common trick I’m seeing recently is that the reviews aren’t for the actual product on that listing. So they will get a bunch of 5 star reviews for say a facial steamer and then swap the listing out to list a more expensive electronic product that isn’t related at all. If you can’t tell what product the reviews are written about that’s fishy too.

Are the reviews specific and do they use fairly proper English? Or are they just like “OK, good”? A large number of reviews using broken English is suspect.

Click on a few reviewer’s names. Do they leave an abnormally large number of reviews in a short period of time? Are they all 5 star? If yes, don’t pay any attention to their review.

ETA you should report any seller asking for 5 stars or to change your review to Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (12-04-2019), rjy9343 (12-05-2019), Singingmom (12-04-2019), The Tickle Momster (12-04-2019), twoplustwo (12-05-2019), Virginia (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I did report them.

It is so important to check a variety of reviews and actually READ them. If a product is a brand you've never heard of and it has nothing but 5 star reviews, that's a red flag, too. It's possible but unlikely. It's actually hard to find anything on Amazon, anymore, that doesn't have a 4-5 star average rating.

Items sold BY Amazon and not a 3rd party are much more likely to have legitimate reviews.

Walmart also has a lot of fake reviews.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Llee (12-05-2019), Maedchen (12-04-2019), Singingmom (12-04-2019), twoplustwo (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I purchase a lot of my tunic tops off of Amazon. I always read the reviews to see the sizing they normally wear and the sizes that bought. They seem to be pretty accurate for now.

I have read reviews on a lot of other items for pets and appliances and the big reviews are popping up, but when you read the words, they do not match the item you are looking at purchasing. I usually pass on those.

I try to post reviews in an honest manner, but I do not review every item I purchase.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

This is an important distinction that not everyone realizes. Just because something is Prime, it doesn’t mean it is sold BY Amazon. A huge percentage of Prime items are fulfilled by Amazon but actually sold by a third party seller who sends their stock to an Amazon warehouse for quick fulfillment.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Llee (12-05-2019), rjy9343 (12-05-2019), Soliloquy (12-06-2019), twoplustwo (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty gullible. I mean I really am. So thanks for the info and link.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (12-06-2019), twoplustwo (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
This is an important distinction that not everyone realizes. Just because something is Prime, it doesn’t mean it is sold BY Amazon. A huge percentage of Prime items are fulfilled by Amazon but actually sold by a third party seller who sends their stock to an Amazon warehouse for quick fulfillment.

I noticed that questions are answered by sellers other than Amazon and wondered about it. I always read the questions and answers to see what real people say about whatever it is I think I want. If it's only the seller answering the questions and the reviews are all five stars, I think twice, because it makes me wonder if they are deleting bad reviews.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

A seller can’t delete bad product reviews. They could ask amazon to IF the reviews aren’t about the product ie “fast shipping” but it would look bad to even ask. A good seller is more concerned with their seller feedback than a few bad reviews.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (12-05-2019), Llee (12-05-2019), rjy9343 (12-05-2019), Soliloquy (12-06-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I've started to notice fake reviews on FB since reading this thread. Someone will give a testimony about how great the Noom program is, but then not respond to any questions that are asked. There might be some true reviews where people actually do want to share positive feedback, but about 90% of the time the reviews seemed fake. Also, the fake reviews and responses from Noom seemed to end about the same time as if there was an advertising campaign that ended about a month ago. Fascinating.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (12-10-2019), Soliloquy (12-10-2019), twoplustwo (12-16-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I'm happy that I still see lots of negative reviews on Instagram. There have been a few products that looked good until I scrolled through the comments and found plenty of unsatisfied customers. I have bought a few items from Instagram ads and been happy with them. I just got FaceSilk makeup remover pads and I love them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (12-10-2019), twoplustwo (12-16-2019)