Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #106
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bone Broth 101

I make chicken stock (perpetual in the crock pot) all the time... but I mostly used it in sauces and stuff like that... Today I pulled some out of the crockpot to make chicken soup. And now i have all my chicken and veggies in the soup, and it tastes like greasy water:/ i dont know what is going on here:/ There is a bunch of spices, and it just does not taste good
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Castle On A Cloud For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #107
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Salt! More salt!!! Lots and LOTS of salt!!!!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Aisling (09-19-2012), Glitterfish (09-17-2012), StumblinMama (09-18-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #108
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

ok, like HOW much salt??? There is about 8 cups of broth, several cups of chicken. 2 onions, a bunch of carrots and celery, and two types of spice mixes, a head of garlic. and I think I might have 1/4 c of salt, at LEAST...
Old 09-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #109
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

How long had the broth been going?
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #110
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

sometime yestarday... you know. i was skimmimg spoonfulls off the top... when i used a ladle to serve the kids, and pulled from the bottom, the taste was insanely different... in a super awesome way there is some coconut oil in there ( we roasted chickens with coc. oil and used the body and the drippings...) so i think it might be that it was floating to the top???
The Following User Says Thank You to Castle On A Cloud For This Useful Post:
lalaithnil (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #111
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

I pulled a turkey drumstick out of the freezer this morning and plopped it into a stockpot with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf & peppercorns. Reading this, I think I'll skim off what we need and then replace the water and let it go again.

Looking forward to roasting a capon for Thanksgiving in a few weeks and making broth with the carcass. I've also done it with chicken that I've smoked on the grill. Wow, was that good broth!

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ajani For This Useful Post:
lalaithnil (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #112
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
I pulled a turkey drumstick out of the freezer this morning and plopped it into a stockpot with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf & peppercorns. Reading this, I think I'll skim off what we need and then replace the water and let it go again.

Looking forward to roasting a capon for Thanksgiving in a few weeks and making broth with the carcass. I've also done it with chicken that I've smoked on the grill. Wow, was that good broth!
What size pot/amount of water?
Dovenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #113
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

Um... not sure. Not huge. 12qt, tops. Maybe 8. I don't do huge batches.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #114
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

It's been quite awhile since I've made chicken stock. Does this sound right?

1 chicken carcass with meat on the bones
10-12 cups filtered water
2-3 carrots
2 ribs celery
1/2 small onion
1 smashed clove of garlic
handful of peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 sprig of rosemary
sprinkling of sea salt
glug of white wine vinegar

It's in the crockpot on high and I'll turn it down to low once it starts to bubble. I hope to use some on Saturday for chicken and noodles with dumplings. Do you think that will work? Then do I add more water to take the place of what I remove on Saturday? How many more days should I let it go?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #115
shaslove
Rose Garden

shaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond repute

I do not add anything to mine. My chicken cooked with salt and pepper and I just add water
shaslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #116
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaslove View Post
I do not add anything to mine. My chicken cooked with salt and pepper and I just add water
If I know I'll be using the broth for soup, I'll season it accordingly when making the broth. If I'm not sure what I'll be using it for, I'll do it plain like that. I always add a glug of ACV to help draw out the minerals in the bones though.

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glitterfish For This Useful Post:
shaslove (09-20-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #117
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my stars, that chicken broth is so delicious. I used it tonight for chicken noodle and dumpling soup. My kids loved it so that's a huge plus. It had to be salted quite a bit like Stiina said. I used almost all the broth in the crockpot so I added a bunch more water and am going to try to get more out of it. Is it really going to work the second time with the same chicken carcass?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #118
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

It does take a lot of salt, but think about the amount of sodium that canned soup has and it makes you feel better.

I made chicken tortilla soup with chicken bone broth tonight. HUGE hit. Bone broth makes everything better.

My fb status from this morning is
Quote:
The moment when you wake up and think "whats that smell!!??" only to realize you have bone broth going in the crock pot.
It gets me every time.
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (09-24-2012), Glitterfish (09-24-2012), lalaithnil (09-23-2012), Stiina (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #119
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

ohmigosh YES!!! I'm always in a half-panic when I come in from outside/wake up in the morning.

Totally agree that it makeseverything taste better. I made a normal old "must-go" goulash in the skillet the other night, cooked with bone broth throughout the process. WAYYYYYYYYYY better than usual.

Ok my current batch is hilarious. I pretty much filled my crock with bones because they were all frozen together....there wasn't a ton of water in it so the broth was pretty concentrated. I pulled out my first quart yesterday and put it in the fridge - I went to use it today and it's Beef Jello. Ok, yes, now I believe you that gelatin comes from animals. WOW. Totally cool!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Charla - yes, it will work Good luck!!!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
charla (09-22-2012), crunchymum (09-23-2012), easygoinmomma (09-23-2012), lalaithnil (09-23-2012), shekinah (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #120
lalaithnil
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond repute

I've been heating a few cubes of frozen, concentrated chicken broth and water for Bella and me to drink with breakfast! She downs a cupful with her oatmeal.

lalaithnil is offline   Reply With Quote