Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default washing grapes

This is really random, but you ladies seem to know about everything! When I buy grapes, I wash them in a colander, pick them off the stems, and put them in a covered bowl to keep in the fridge. I try to wash them carefully, though I don't soak them. Every time at the bottom of the bowl, there is dirty water- like water with actual dirt in it, when we get toward the bottom of the bowl. How do you wash grapes? Am I missing something? It seems gross to have them sitting in dirt water. Do I have to soak them? Where is the dirt coming from?!
Old 10-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: washing grapes

I get bits of the stem at the bottom but I don’t ever get dirt. I wash them in the bag or in a colander or in the dish drying rack just with water and let them sit out and get as dry as possible before putting them back in the fridge. Usually though I only wash what someone’s going to eat just then.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen that after I wash grapes, too, but my thought was that it was some juice from the grapes mixed in with the water I washed them in since I don't take the time to get them really dry. I hate to think they might still be dirty.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Side note: grapes stay fresher longer ON the stems.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Grapes are so dirty, especially red ones IME. I cut the large bunches into small bunches, then spray fruit and veggie wash directly on the grapes, move them gently around in the bowl, then cover with water and swish for a minute, drain, cover with rinse water, swish, and drain. It only takes a minute. By the time I'm finished, the water is clear. For other things like berries I just spray some f & v wash in the water, but grapes get special treatment because they are just so dirty.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently started doing a little soak with a bit of white vinegar and then rinsing them.

We usually store them on the stems, but cut in little clusters that are easy to grab. Dh grew up with MIL fixing them that way and it does make it easy for the kids.
ECingMama (10-20-2019), Virginia (10-23-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Good tips on better ways to wash them! Thanks! We usually eat them pretty fast so they don't go bad. And they elate eaten faster when I get them destemmed and ready to eat. I will have to do some more vigorous washing!
The Following User Says they are praying for esperanza:
Marrae (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
I will have to do some more vigorous washing!

Me, too.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #9
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I wash in a colander with just water. Often we leave them in the colander with a towel underneath it on shelf in the fridge. Grapes get eaten so quickly that works and saves steps.

If we really don't have room and I need to transfer to something smaller I put them on a towel to dry off then a Tupperware.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I wash the grapes in the bag they come in and leave the grapes in the colander and then a bowl under it and leave it on the counter. At night, I just put the bag in the fridge because it’s usually dry by then.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Put a cloth towel or paper towel at the bottom of the bowl to absorb excess moisture.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote