Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #361
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mamas that are "Messies" Support Thread

May I join? I have ambitions and visions of neatness and order and my house looking as nice as my parent's house did growing up. But there's a certain 33-year-old that keeps getting in the way of making that ambition and vision of neatness come true...yeah, I'm my own worst enemy.

I can go and clean and organize other people's stuff with no problem; I'll even deep clean the stove at a friend's house. At my house though...well, let's just say we have the self-cleaning feature and we've used it, um, once, since we moved in a year ago.

And yeah, we need to finish painting the rooms (the living is a nice orangey color), tear down a shed in the back yard, and oh, say, contain the toy craziness.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Peridot (07-05-2010), Redeemed (08-16-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #362
blagosloven

Sidetracked Home Executive here!!! My mother bought me a copy of that book a few months after I was married after I called her up crying saying, "HOOOW DID YOU EVER MANAGE OUR HOUSEHOLD???!" My 'method', which I am trying to stop, is moving piles of junk around from room to room, hoping it will eventually diminish itself! Clutter has taken over our lives and I am forever desperately trying to tackle it.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #363
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blagosloven View Post
Sidetracked Home Executive here!!! My mother bought me a copy of that book a few months after I was married after I called her up crying saying, "HOOOW DID YOU EVER MANAGE OUR HOUSEHOLD???!" My 'method', which I am trying to stop, is moving piles of junk around from room to room, hoping it will eventually diminish itself! Clutter has taken over our lives and I am forever desperately trying to tackle it.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #364
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blagosloven View Post
I that book!
So funny!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #365
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
I that book!
So funny!
I finally picked up a copy at a used bookstore when I spotted it.

I really don't think I could handle the card system. I'd be way overwhelmed, just like they were when they started.

I prefer the "develop one habit at a time and stick with it" method. Now, if I could just *DO* that...

blagosloven, clutter's a big thing for me, too. If there's a flat surface, there's a pile one it. I've actually been doing really well at sorting through stuff lately, but it doesn't even count. Because (cue ominous music...) it's all a whole ton of boxes that just came to light in my parents' basement. So, I've been pitching a ton of stuff but my DH convinced me (why, oh why did I listen) that we should just toss the "keep" stuff in other boxes and deal with it later. So, none of it has homes yet. How does he think those other boxes happened in the first place??? Why did I let him convince me this was a good idea???

Anyway, I've pared the pile of 12 boxes down to 2 boxes being kept, so at least there's progress. But I honestly think it's harder to go through the stuff I want to keep to find homes for it.

I'm a huge fan of "a place for everything and everything in its place." It's just that...well...I actually don't know how to figure out where things should live. I think maybe I need to invite my ex-messy friend over to help me. She can just look at me with that faintly "tsk" sort of expression and say, "That should live in *this* place." And I'll think and and wonder *why* I couldn't have figured that out for myself. But at least it will thereafter have a home.
Kiara.I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (09-10-2010), Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #366
Fio

sounds just like the thing I need to do today..
I don't have that many rooms, but
kids bedroom
parents bedroom
hall
kitchen
office/livingroom
playroom/livingroom
and bathroom
and hmm..
I guess the washingmachine could dount for a room in itself..

That makes a total of 80mins of cleaning to do..
Most of it is folding and organizing clothes after summer vacation, and putting away clothes that the children grew out of..

*sigh* How can I tear meself away from the keyboard?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #367
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

That's the hardest part...I know.

I have to get up when the washer finishes. Then I'm not allowed to sit down until I've done three things. That's probably going to be- start washer again; make coffee; work until the coffee is done brewing.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #368
Redeemed
Rose Trellis

Redeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loralee View Post
May I join? I have ambitions and visions of neatness and order and my house looking as nice as my parent's house did growing up. But there's a certain 33-year-old that keeps getting in the way of making that ambition and vision of neatness come true...yeah, I'm my own worst enemy.

I can go and clean and organize other people's stuff with no problem; I'll even deep clean the stove at a friend's house. At my house though...well, let's just say we have the self-cleaning feature and we've used it, um, once, since we moved in a year ago.

And yeah, we need to finish painting the rooms (the living is a nice orangey color), tear down a shed in the back yard, and oh, say, contain the toy craziness.
I'm right there with you! Maybe we can get through this together?

Child of God since 07/1982.
Wife to Bryan, my best friend and retired soldier, since 06/2014.

Mom to DD (02/1998), DS1 (08/2006), and DS2 (01/2009).
Two w/Jesus (05/2001) and (12/2004).
Stepmom to DSD (06/2007) and DSS (04/2009).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeemed For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #369
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in! Um, where are we going? And yes, I have still to paint the living room. But I uh, still haven't picked out the color, so that's why we haven't painted yet.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #370
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read this whole thread, but my house is most of the time a mess. Dh and I are both messies. I work FT and Dh is a SAHD with health problems so it makes our struggles worse. My mom came over yesterday and helped me. It showed me a few simple things I can do to help keep it looking nicer, like sweeping the floor. She doesn't usually come help, but we are in the process of moving (well we still don't have a house), so she is helping.

She even asked me, "What can we do so your next house doesn't get this way?"

I have plans in my head, that I have never been able to implement, but since we are moving and setting up new routines in a new house I figure this is the time to start.

I need to start slow, I know. We have so much clutter we are going to end up moving because I am sorted out. I can't do it anymore!!! I am thinking about just putting everything in the garage then making sure it has a home before it is brought in the house, of course that will only work until it gets cold. UGG!!!
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:48 AM   #371
firecarrier
Rosebud

I have not been given a spirit of fear, but of POWER and LOVE and a SOUND MIND!

firecarrier will become famous soon enough

Well I hope you don't think this is just a 'cop out' reply but I really really recommend Flylady - that woman is an Angel! Yeh, sometimes the emails get a bit much and no, I don't do everything they say but just listening to some of the helpful stuff she says helped to really change my mindset. I discovered her about 5/6 months ago and my home is much better now. Its not 'perfect' but that isn't the idea, its homely and welcoming enough that I can enjoy living in it and show hospitality to others (even unexpected company!)

My problem wasn't that I dodn't know how to clean (I grew up with a mother who cleaned all the light fittings every week ) I just could never understand how to get the whole house together at the same time. I don't know if this is you but I could spend all day cleaning one room and it would be absolutely spotless and I would feel great (but shattered) and just couldn't get round to doing the other rooms.

Blessed to be Wife to DH since August 1999

firecarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firecarrier For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #372
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that worked for me once, while i stuck to it (maybe a month?) was to make a month's calendar and fill in jobs that need to be done weekly and jobs that need to be done monthly and give them a set day of the week/month. That helps to give direction, and even if you miss a week or month, you know it'll come around again the next week or month. For example, change bedding every Friday, dust the window sills every third Thursday...those would both be a lot more often than I do now (esp since I NEVER dust!)!
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #373
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

what is GOYB?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #374
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovenoir View Post
what is GOYB?
get off your butt? i think?

Welcoming all prayers for a sticky duckling this time

At the end of time, I will kiss you all over your face.
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #375
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

how is everybody?

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote