Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
AKCristyMJ
Rose Garden

AKCristyMJ is just really niceAKCristyMJ is just really niceAKCristyMJ is just really niceAKCristyMJ is just really nice
Default Time outs at school, uh oh

I found out Lidia's Kindergarten class practices time outs.
I am not too worried bout her ever getting in it tho, every adult thats ever known her raves about how behaved she is.

But this is what I was told.

They tell the children it's the "Peace time corner" or "thinking corner"
It has pillows and little shelves with books or coloring stuff.
On warning 1 child goes there 3-5min to read/color. The shelves kinda close it off sorta.

If the child does not sit there (they can cry, and not read or color but thats it if they want) or gets worse later on or repeats the offense then it's warning #2 and the child must stand in a further away corner usually with face in to wall.

Warning #3 is sent to Principle office and mom is called.

So the teacher stresses "Time outs" are rarely used in her room and sort of a last resort.
Usually she talks to the child and/or uses re-direction away from what is boring or upsetting them.

Well....what do you think???
AKCristyMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
cklewis
Deactivated

cklewis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time outs at school, uh oh

That sounds like a comfort corner to me.

C
cklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Tulip_Plus_3

Sounds like a comfort corner. A whole lot better than the hack board that hung in some of my classrooms!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

It sounds like a really punitive minded person trying to use a comfort corner I'd tell her about the Comfort Corner and urge her to use it right
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

I probably wouldn't call her on her discipline style on the first day I dropped my kid off for school!

It sounds, based on your post, like the methods are used rarely and probably wouldn't be exercised at the start of a school year. The standing in the corner is the hot button one for me & I can't possibly see the merit of that method. But I likely wouldn't tell her that directly in a confrontational way. As I established a relationship with the teacher I'd ask in a really open "tell me more" kind of way how she came up with the three levels of discipline and how effective she found each one to be.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
sadie
Deactivated

sadie is on a distinguished road

I like the everything but the second step. I don't see how making a kid stand with their face in a corner is supposed to help improve behavior. I believe if the thinking corner does not help calm the situation, the second step should be to call the parent (NOT in a 'you're really gonna get it' way, but in a 'the parent knows best how to handle this level of upset' kind of way).

BTW, this is just my opinion, but stuff like this is one of my many reasons to homeschool. Even if my child never got in trouble, she would see punitive things being done to other children. The fear and anxiety it causes a child to witness events like this affects them negatively. I would not want dd in an environment where she would be exposed to things like this, even if she herself were not on the receiving end.

Sorry to go OT.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
4blessings

Well, the first part sounds like a comfort corner. I like it! But this
Quote:
then it's warning #2 and the child must stand in a further away corner usually with face in to wall.
. What's up with that? That's just mean!

I'd wait for a few weeks and then maybe talk to the teacher about it.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
AKCristyMJ
Rose Garden

AKCristyMJ is just really niceAKCristyMJ is just really niceAKCristyMJ is just really niceAKCristyMJ is just really nice

Well......I too would LOOOOVE to homeschool but dh flat out won't let me. We've argued over it a year now.
The compromise was I do get to homeschool from 7th grade on. And I'm happy with that. Or I homeschhol if our child is struggling in school maybe under bullies or learning difficulties etc.

I think I will tell the teacher I want to be called if Lidia ever gets any time out 1-3 kind.

I'm just not happy that someone else who does not know and love my child is left to gage discipline of her all day. I do not even know when that teacher thinks an act warrants a time out. Kwim?

*sigh*

Needless to say I'm gonna be praying like mad over her everyday.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Having just finished a year of kindergarten and moving on to grade one, I can totally empathize with surrendering your dear one to an unknown person for the day. What worked for me was to make myself an invaluable source of support to her teacher, so he would constantly fill me in on the goings on of the classroom. I was room mom & volunteered every time that I could. I got to know all the kids by name & figured out unique things about them that I could affirm when I was with them. I would drop in during reading time or lunch time to lend a hand to the teacher & to get some extra time with my dd. Being proactive in my relationship with her teacher was very helpful in staying involved with the goings on of the class. My dd had a very positive kindergarten year and was delighted to return to grade one last week.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
AKCristyMJ
Rose Garden

*sigh*
Well....
With my IBS, pregnancy related dizzy spells, baby coming in April and toddler at home, and we are a one car family with the car gone with dh 10hrs of the day.....then that all is not an option for me.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
Knitted_in_the_womb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristy_ann_mom
I found out Lidia's Kindergarten class practices time outs.

Well....what do you think???
I'm kind of wondering why this surprises you? This is very standard fare. Is it "ideal?" No. But it is the reality of school. I think it would be great to get to know the teacher as much as possible and pass ideas on to her. Barbara Colasoro's (sp?) books might be good to reccommend since she has a background as a teacher.

Jenn