Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Calm_Chaos

Default Vegan Water and flour HM noodles?

Yesterday, my MIL made her traditional after Thanksgiving dinner-- cream of chicken soup, with HM egg noodles and leftover noodles. I reluctanly accepted her offer of cream of mushroom soup (the Campbell's brand has less than 2% milk, according to their label, but still...), and noodles. She asked me why I didn't care for eggs, I guess I wasn't thinking (I was in a haze most of the day, until after my nap on the way home), and said that they didn't have any taste to me, even with onion in it, as I had had a bite of one morning last week. I didn't want to go into the real reason. I was going to ask her to not put noodles in my soup, but she added them when I was in the bathroom. Admittedly, I liked it and had two helpings. (I left the leftovers for my FIL.) Eh. I stopped short of having any of the Grands! biscuits and the banana bread mix. (I looked at the box and wasn't impressed; I wondered how it was supposed to be quicker than HM from scratch. For breakfast yesterday morning, I had a banana that was quite ready for bread.Ironically, my husband told my MIL of the banana bread he tried making that literally fell flat. While he put flour in it, he neglected to add baking soda and/or powder for a rising agent. I don't think he mentioned that it was eggless.)

Anyway, I would like some egg-less HM noodle recipes that I can make with water and WW flour. My MIL was concerned that she couldn't make the noodles since the eggs had frozen in the fridge and wasn't sure if my FIL would go out and get eggs (never mind my MIL was already out for church, I guess she does absolutely no grocery shopping), while she was at church. An eggless recipe would have been good. A subtle way of saying, "See. Eggs aren't needed for everything." As it was, I told her that I thought it was just flour and water, but I guess the eggs were "needed" for a binding agent. (My FIL asked if there were egg substitutes. I think he caught me off guard, or I was still hazy, as I just said that I hadn't tried them. Had I been thinking, I would have given some of the options, like bananas and flax seeds and apple sauce. I've kinda tried the bananas, but the cookeis didn't quite turn out. I shoudln't play with a recipe the first time I try it. ) I digress.

TIA for any recipes/advice.

Peace and blessings,
Laura
Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water and flour HM noodles?

My best advice is to not try and substitute. Try a Vegan recipe instead. You are looking for Vegan aren't you? I have no idea about noodles. There are dry WW versions available.

You can try a lot of subs, but sometimes it gets discouraging. It took me awhile, but I've found a lot of new favorites and I take food with my everywhere.

I'm hoping to get some cake and cupcake carriers this next year, so I can transport cakes.

I thought I just did a link for egg subs. I guess I should sticky that.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
Calm_Chaos

Default Re: Water and flour HM noodles?

I guess my rambling wasn't clear. I'm sorry. I don't want a sub for the eggs in the noodles, necessasarily (sp?). It just came up in conversation with the ILs. What I would like, is a vegan recipe for HM noodles, something basic, with just maybe flour and water, preferably WW or a combo of WW and white. l have shared my vegan chocolate cake with my MIL and she really likes it. For Christmas morning (when they're going to be here), I thought about making some vegan chocolate banana muffins, since they seem to "have to" have donuts for breakfast, which I can't stomach that early (if at all). My FIL was just inquiring, if egg subs exist and if I've tried them.

Anyway, I'm digressing.

I tried doing some searches, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

TIA
Peace and blessings,
Laura
Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Joyce

Default Re: Vegan Water and flour HM noodles?

I LOVE homemade egg noodles. I do not know of a recipe without eggs in it.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
ShangriLewis

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Bryanna Clark Grogan? She has a ton of really good recipes.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
ShangriLewis

I could find one on Bryanna's site. But, there must be one somewhere. I'm wondering if you could just add some ground flax seed and let it rest before rolling. I really don't see why not. There are plenty of vegan noodles in the store. Do you cut them into strips or use a fork?

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8027.0 Here is a Vegan recipe with a little conversation on the bottom.
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12020.0 Spinach, tofu and flax

Heather

Old 05-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
morninglory

have you found your recipe yet? if not, when i make hm noodles, i dont use anything but ww flour, water, and litle salt.....but i think a little silk tofu would probably do the trick you are looking for...maybe with a dash of tumeric just for taste....