Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creative ideas for more veggies

My kids would rather snack on veg than have them at meals. Dips help, like hummus, salsa or french onion dip.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
charla (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #17
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
You can coat them in oil if they aren't getting crispy (put in a bag with oil and shake). Oil also makes the salt stick. But it might be a humidity thing- I live in the desert.
I find any kind of roasted veg including fries works best if there is just enough oil, not too little or too much. I also use parchment paper (when I can find it at the dollar store ) and that helps as well.

Does your family like salads? A meal salad is a good veggie based meal. I make mine with less lettuce/greens and more other veggies both for cost control and because my kids have trouble eating a lot of greens.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
charla (09-22-2017), MaySunflowers (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
I'm supposed to be adding more legumes to my diet and my children aren't all that happy about them, so ways to add them is awesome, too.
We really liked this soup. I like that it's a creamy soup, not because of cream, but because of pureed beans. You could puree the whole thing so there are no beans or spinach visible. I always use the regular blender, but I really need an immersion blender.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
charla (09-22-2017), hollybells (09-29-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #19
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySunflowers View Post
My kids would rather snack on veg than have them at meals. Dips help, like hummus, salsa or french onion dip.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
My daughter as well. I buy the tiny cucumbers and small peppers from Costco so all they need is a wash and they are ready to eat. And she and her friends actually eat carrots better if we give them whole with floppy green at the end, like on tv

We do homemade pizza and I put out a mix of toppings and encourage tasting them raw and then cooked on the pizza. This is a good way to use up small portions of leftovers and works best when we have a guest, btw.

I make pictures with food sometimes. Nothing pinterest level in quality, but it cracks her up to say "hahaha, I'm eating the dinosaur legs."

Dr. Prager's brand veggie burgers are win for DD1, as are the spinach and broccoli potato products.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
charla (09-22-2017), Reva (10-01-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing the Autoimmune Protocol, and one of the suggestions is to use pureed cooked white sweet potato as a soup and gravy base. I love white sweet potatoes!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-22-2017), Reva (10-01-2017), tempus vernum (10-17-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #21
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I've been doing the Autoimmune Protocol, and one of the suggestions is to use pureed cooked white sweet potato as a soup and gravy base. I love white sweet potatoes!
I have never heard of or seen those! Off to google.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #22
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that has helped to up the veggies that my kids will eat is to have build-you-own dishes that include lots of different veggie choices. We do taco salads or nachos almost once a week and I put out tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, scallions, radishes, celery, carrots, olives, and any other veggie I can scare up whether or not it's traditional. With enough sour cream my youngest will even eat some.

We do Asian lettuce wraps the same way - seasoned ground beef or turkey served in romaine leaves with carrots, celery, cuke, peas, etc.

One thing I picked up from the THM cookbook is to use okra in smoothies (mainly in place of banana) and to thicken sauces. It works particularly nicely in crockpot dishes and soups to thicken and keep them from breaking. My 10 year old hates the sight of okra, but loves my tomato soup and I just don't have the heart to let her know that it's about 1/3 okra.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (09-22-2017), Lady Grey (10-01-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #23
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have never heard of or seen those! Off to google.
They are called Oriental Yams here at the regular grocery store. If you have an international market, they might carry them.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Adding that the white sweet potatoes have purple skin.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-23-2017), charla (09-22-2017), Reva (10-01-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 02:22 AM   #24
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
What veggies do you use in your broth?
Pretty much whatever I have on hand. For the immune boosting qualities, almost always at least two whole onions and a whole head of garlic. Cooked and pureed in to the broth it dissappears. I've added carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli stalks, any kind of squash (zucchini, pumpkin, butternut, etc), and probably other things that I'm not thinking of right now. Pretty much anything that will cook down. Puree it up and it just makes for a nicely flavoured thicker broth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (09-23-2017), ECingMama (09-29-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #25
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

These are wonderful ideas! Veggies are on my mind as well lately,especially with two in school and bringing home colds.

Zucchini lasagna is delicious but only one child will eat (some) of it.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
charla (09-23-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #26
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

So I added 8oz of chopped fresh mushrooms and a finely chopped orange bell pepper to the taco meat tonight and it sure was extra tasty. I'm not sure I could go back to just ground beef. It added such a wonderful flavor. Even the kids commented on how yummy it was.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (10-01-2017), ECingMama (09-29-2017), graciousmomma (10-07-2017), Laurlor (09-30-2017), Maedchen (09-29-2017), MaybeGracie (09-29-2017), Reva (10-01-2017), Singingmom (09-30-2017), ViolaMum (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #27
charla
Administrator

I made potato soup tonight, but forgot to buy some cauliflower to add. I'm so bummed I forgot. I did, however, shred up the last of the kale from the garden, diced up a red bell pepper, and a jalapeno from the garden and added those to the soup. So I got some extra veggies in there besides the regular onions and celery.

Must remember the cauliflower next time.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-30-2017), ECingMama (09-30-2017), Maedchen (09-30-2017), Reva (10-01-2017), Singingmom (10-01-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #28
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
I made potato soup tonight, but forgot to buy some cauliflower to add. I'm so bummed I forgot. I did, however, shred up the last of the kale from the garden, diced up a red bell pepper, and a jalapeno from the garden and added those to the soup. So I got some extra veggies in there besides the regular onions and celery.

Must remember the cauliflower next time.
I'm sure it would be good with frozen. I keep some on hand for times like this

Kale is $1 a bunch at Whole Foods right now Now I have 3 bunches of 3 different types to use!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-30-2017), Singingmom (10-01-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #29
charla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I'm sure it would be good with frozen. I keep some on hand for times like this

Kale is $1 a bunch at Whole Foods right now Now I have 3 bunches of 3 different types to use!
Yes, I should throw a few bags of frozen cauliflower in the freezer. I used to keep it on hand and stopped at some point. I have no idea why.

$1 a bunch for kale? Awesome. I'll have to check that out if I can get to that part of city.
Save

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 09-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #30
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I made chicken pot pie tonight.

Chicken

Peas

Crust

But the sauce was 3 cups veggie broth
3 celery stalks
1 carrot
8 oz mushrooms

Spices

Pureed the broth and veggies otherwise my kids won't eat mushrooms

NO need to buy cream of mushroom of cream of chicken soup

Much healthier and tastier
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (10-01-2017), charla (10-01-2017), Reva (10-01-2017), Singingmom (10-01-2017)