Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
satin.mama
Rose Bush

satin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to all
Default Addicted to sugar, need accountability

I have been thinking. I'm addicted to sugar, mostly in the form of chocolately things, so maybe it's really chocolate. But I think it's both. It has to do with stress - that is when I want chocolate, when I am stressed. If the kids are screaming I go for my hidden chocolate stash. 8:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m., and all. If I have no chocolate I eat whatever sweet thing I'm able to eat (egg-free, gluten-free, without certain nuts and seeds). And I would really like to NOT be addicted to sugar because I do know how bad it is for me. I don't need to lose weight - in fact I should gain some, but I have trouble doing so. Anyway it's not about the weight for me, but about what is good for my body. My health isn't terrible, but it's a little fragile for sure, and whenever I get really sick or something like I did this past week I think, oh my goodness, I've got to take better care of my body, I'll never eat sugar and/or chocolate again! Which lasts about 3 days.

But I thought that maybe if I had some kind of accountability partner, I would stick to it. Anybody into that idea??

Thanks for reading!
Rivendell Raven (09-28-2014), twoplustwo (09-30-2014)
The Following User Says they are praying for satin.mama:
Rivendell Raven (09-28-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Addicted to sugar, need accountability

I wouldn't be a good accountability partner in this, I love my sweets too much
But because I bet there is someone on here that would be a perfect match!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (09-30-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I will be your partner from the other side of the world

I am addicted to sugar, mainly from Coca Cola....I know, I know, I love healthy living but it's the one things I haven't managed to give up yet

My naturopath is encouraging me to go off it slowly as anytime I've tried to stop cold turkey in the past, my migraines almost put me in hospital.

So if you're in.....I'M IN
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

You may actually need the chocolate for your adrenals. Sometimes I feel like garbage and chocolate helps me because of that. I mean not to justify eating a bunch of junk chocolate, but does it work if you have a few squares of a quality dark chocolate?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (09-30-2014), Soliloquy (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I am so addicted to sugar. If I cant find any, I raid the baking cabinet. Like you I dont need to lose weight, I just need to not eat so much sugar.

I always try to go off it & fail.

Dark chocolate does help me. But Ive been out, need to buy more.

And the worst time of the year is coming up (Halloween, TG, Xmas) so will soon be surrounded by SUGARY GOODNESS!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (09-30-2014), satin.mama (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

Another sugar/chocolate fiend here! Just following for some inspiration

InFpType 2/3(?)
bentlaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bentlaj11 For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Sugar fiend here too. I'm on day 16 of whole30. It is soo hard, but it is possible! I discovered that it wasn't the caffeine that made me jones for coffee every morning, it was the sugar burst. Coffee with no milk or sugar is not worth drinking to me lol
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (09-30-2014), satin.mama (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice
Default Addicted to sugar, need accountability

Another addict among you. I was doing so good, until I had to stop taking cymbalta (for pain management due to fibromyalgia). I do need to lose about twenty pounds. Since I can't take those meds, I want to eat all the sweets and chocolatey things!
Do you have any ideas to help curb the cravings?
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyfulMom For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

grapes are the sweetest thing on the planet and my favoritest thing ever right now. The red ones, not the green. the black are ok too, but their skin is more bitter lol.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I am so addicted to sugar. If I cant find any, I raid the baking cabinet. Like you I dont need to lose weight, I just need to not eat so much sugar.

I always try to go off it & fail.

Dark chocolate does help me. But Ive been out, need to buy more.

And the worst time of the year is coming up (Halloween, TG, Xmas) so will soon be surrounded by SUGARY GOODNESS!
This is me too
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaSam For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (09-30-2014), twoplustwo (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
satin.mama
Rose Bush

satin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to all

Oh good, I'm not alone!

I've tried the whole "a few squares of dark chocolate" thing - yeah, I just wind up eating the whole bar, even of that If I was able to eat a bit and stop, I would; but it seems that I might have to go cold-turkey because I'm an extreme person with no self-control. I will also raid the baking cupboard if I have nothing else! Chipits, yep.

Or, and I might try this first, possibly if I had someone to give an account to I could set an actual limit of grams of sugar per day, so that I can have one cookie or whatever it is, but then I'd have to tell on myself if I went over. mummy2boys, do you still want to be my partner if I'm not 100%?
twoplustwo (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I join these threads every time they pop up. I'm totally addicted to sugar and I need to stop. Cold turkey doesn't work for me because I have too much to get done and withdrawal cripples me for days. So I'd like to cut out the soda I've been drinking lately. And any extra sugar in sweets or whatever. I need to keep something. Maybe just one cup of coffee in the morning and one square of chocolate in the evening. That sounds doable. Maybe.
bentlaj11 (10-01-2014), satin.mama (09-30-2014), twoplustwo (10-01-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
satin.mama
Rose Bush

Here's the thing though ... I don't see too much point in spending my whole life denying myself things that make me happy (ie. chocolate) and then on my deathbed going, "Was there really any point in doing all that fretting? I shouldn't have worried about such a small thing!" But at the same time, I have to be healthy enough to do a good job of the responsibilities I have right now and take care of my body, and set a good example for my kids, plus there is just the fact that self-control and moderation (and not eating a whole good chocolate bar in one sitting or two ice cream bars a day ahem) are good things. And somewhere there has to be a balance, and I can't find it.

Somebody must know the secret to this!
bentlaj11 (10-01-2014), JoyfulMom (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 AM   #14
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

ITA a little sugar is fine, but the fact that I cannot go one single day without it is a little frightening. Plus when I was a kid I could have as much sugar as I wanted (I would have a star crunch & a zebra cake for "snack" every day after school. Thats not snack - thats dessert.) -- so I also dont want my kids to struggle like I do when they get older.

But whenever I cut back it just creeps back in.

Ive done ice cream for breakfast before because I was craving sugar so much after my healthy breakfast. Though one thing Ive started is having my fruit AFTER my eggs. So ending with sweet natural. Not sure its helping or not but I just started mixing the order up in the morning.

I want to know the secret too.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by satin.mama View Post
It has to do with stress - that is when I want chocolate, when I am stressed. If the kids are screaming I go for my hidden chocolate stash. 8:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m., and all. . . . . My health isn't terrible, but it's a little fragile for sure, and whenever I get really sick or something like I did this past week I think, oh my goodness, I've got to take better care of my body, I'll never eat sugar and/or chocolate again! Which lasts about 3 days.
This is me EXACTLY! If it's in the house, I devour it whenever a free moment presents itself, especially in the several times daily fussy but not ready to nap periods of craziness around here.

My strategy lately is to not have it in the house, but let myself get something when we go out. So the other day when we were at the health food store I let myself get one of those dark chocolate raw vegan tarts, oh my gosh it was good and I ate the whole (little) thing.

I need to work more on the emotional part of this equation, another coping response to the stress, instead of just wanting to run away and hide in chocolate

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (10-01-2014), satin.mama (10-01-2014)