Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inviting yourself for a sleep over?

I think I'm just being grumpy because when the girls have friends over Jason just wants to do everything they do.

I made the rule that there would be no sleep overs until they have been to each other's houses several times.

This one girl has been over here a few times, only playing outside though. Two weeks ago I met the mom and visited with her for an hour in their back yard while the kids played in the back yard and some in her house.

The mom just asked if her dd could spend the night here Friday because another of her children is having a friend over to their house Friday night.

I thought it was a bit rude. Told her I'd see, needed to see what time the thing is that we are going to Saturday. I'm going to say no because we'll be leaving whenever we get up and get moving Saturday.

I only just met the mom. Guess it never hurts to ask but it was weird.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inviting yourself for a sleep over?

That is a bit unusual.

Sent by Tapatalk from my phone

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
That is a bit unusual.

Now that I've met the mom, it's not super off the wall, but inviting yourself is for close friends, at least I think so.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 05-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I guess different groups of people think differently.

My pages:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem like something you might ask of another mama friend you are in relationhip with

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
It does seem like something you might ask of another mama friend you are in relationhip with
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

That is something I would only feel comfortable asking if the mom was a close personal friend of *mine*. I feel like invites should mainly come from the person hosting the sleepover. I can see asking if there was an emergency or work or something, but simply because a sibling has a sleepover is pretty presumptuous.
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (05-14-2015), graciousmomma (05-14-2015), Hermana Linda (05-14-2015), kiloyd (05-14-2015), Soliloquy (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

another perspective.... maybe the girl has had issues making/keeping friends or just went thru a friend change/shift. so maybe she has hit it off really well with your daughter and asked her mom if she could sleep over at your house since her sibling is getting a sleepover so the mom may be asking for her daughter, and maybe normally she would ask your daughter over to her house first, but since sibling already is having someone over she thought to see if you would be willing to host the girls.

i don't actually find it odd at all

i notice a lot of you are I's, and i am an E, so i wonder if this is more an introvert/extrovert thing

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-14-2015), rjy9343 (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post

i notice a lot of you are I's, and i am an E, so i wonder if this is more an introvert/extrovert thing
Interesting, good point. That is why I post here, to get other opinions.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
bananacake (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot of people who don't allow sleepovers so for that reason alone, I find it presumptuous.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #11
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

what is presumptuous about asking a question?

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;

Old 05-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of questions I would consider presumptuous.

Are you going to have children?

How many?

Are you done?

How much do you weigh?

I consider inviting oneself over for a sleepover to be in the same category of questions you don't ask.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (05-14-2015), gerberadaisy (05-14-2015), kiloyd (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #13
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

I too think it's a bit presumptuous to be asking a relative stranger if their child could spend the night at your home.

Quote:
what is presumptuous about asking a question?
This particular question assumes an intimacy, IMO, that isn't there. Making it presumptuous.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (05-14-2015), kiloyd (05-14-2015), Victorious (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
There are a lot of questions I would consider presumptuous.

Are you going to have children?

How many?

Are you done?

How much do you weigh?

I consider inviting oneself over for a sleepover to be in the same category of questions you don't ask.
okay point taken yes those would be presumptuous questions.

i guess it just depends on what you are used to. afwiw my kids have only ever done one sleepover once with relatives. but growing up my mom didn't know all my friends parents before i went over. when you meet kids at school the moms don't always know each other that well.

Psalm 13

Old 05-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
okay point taken yes those would be presumptuous questions.

i guess it just depends on what you are used to. afwiw my kids have only ever done one sleepover once with relatives. but growing up my mom didn't know all my friends parents before i went over. when you meet kids at school the moms don't always know each other that well.
Which is exactly why I said that different groups of people think differently.

My pages:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
bananacake (05-15-2015), kiloyd (05-14-2015)