Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Activity ideas during worship that are not electronic?

The church we have been going to the last couple months does children's church for 4 and 5 yr olds. So my 10 and 7 yr olds are bored during church.

I don't want them playing electronics. Today I let my 7 yr old bring a book but she kept raising it up and I wanted it down in her lap so it wouldn't block the view of the people behind us.

They usually draw on the bulletin or play the dot game or do a word search (I couldn't find the word search book before we left).

Other ideas?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10

Last edited by kiloyd; 05-10-2015 at 07:22 PM.
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activity ideas during worship that are not electronic?

I found coloring pages for children online.

Sent by Tapatalk from my phone

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
BestLaidPlans
Rose Trellis

What was I… eh, scrap it. I'm taking a nap.

BestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my kids either take "notes" by writing down whatever words they want to that they hear from the preacher or by drawing a picture of what they are hearing.

So the "notes" might look like this: salvation God help love Paul give holy

So the paper is just a list of random words. They could also write down any questions they have about what he said so they can ask me later.

Or, if the pastor was preaching on loving your neighbor, they could draw a picture of themselves showing love to a sick person by bringing them flowers, etc.

Or combine the two - they could make word art out of words he is saying.

5 girls 2 boys
4 of my 7 are teens - now 5 are teens!
5 of my 7 have special needs

“Motherhood is heaven and hell, hard and holy.”
-quote from Rachel Nielson
BestLaidPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BestLaidPlans For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (05-10-2015), kiloyd (05-10-2015), Virginia (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a "church bag" which is just a tote bag with a few coloring books, a pack of crayons, and a magnadoodle for each of them. They can't pull it out until worship is over, but are welcome to play with any thing in it quietly during the message.

ETA: some times they have reusable stickers (melissas and doug) in there as well, but they have to kneel on the floor and use their seat as a table, and while this isn't a big deal because they're being quiet and don't sit up front, and the church is super laid back...but might not be okay for other families...
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 05-10-2015 at 10:17 AM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

7 and 10 are plenty old enough to pay attention, IMO. My 5yo and 7yo attend and participate in all aspects of the worship service. They each have a notebook that they take to church, and while the 5yo winds up mostly just doodling or copying my notes, the 7yo listens to the sermon and writes any notes that she thinks are important as well as any questions she has about anything she hears. So her notes usually look like:

Jesus is God's son.
What is disciple?
What does humble mean?
God loves us!
and so on...
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-10-2015), Virginia (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

I expect my 7 and 9 year old to pay attention during service. We usually have a kid's bulletin with a coloring sheet/word search related to the readings/sermon for the day that they can work on while they listen. I think that coloring and doodling can help them keep attention. We have an hour drive to and from church, and one of the things that helps them most in service in just discussing the sermon on the way home. We explain some of the bigger concepts of the sermon/readings, they ask questions, discuss what they heard etc.
Hermana Linda (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I love the idea of kids starting to learn how to engage with a sermon/lecture by taking notes! Super cool idea that will serve them well in the future and help increase various aspects of literacy
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
I found coloring pages for children online.

Different coloring pages would be good. They get tired of coloring books but do like to print out pages.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

I forgot that sometimes Kara has copied some of the verses out of the Bible that the pastor is talking about.

Stickers are a good idea too.

I like the note taking idea too.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest looking at some personality books, like Nuture by Nature, because *my* 7 year old isn't capable of listening to a 45 minute sermon and paying attention that whole time. Given her personality, I'd have a hard time *forcing* her to do it too, and it would pretty much guarantee she'd resent The Lord if I made her.

How about http://www.amazon.com/SmartGames-SG4.../dp/B0084ZJ9RS

A year from now, I think my daughter would still be whispering to me, "how do I spell that?" and would be so focused on spelling it correctly that she'd still be missing the heart messages.

I loved that other thread where the mama asked her kids what they thought they should be doing and then the kids requested a few months to get used to the change.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Not all kids have the same ability to hear and listen that some do. Many adults need to do something with their hands to listen well. I don't have that need, but age 10 I remember doodling, having my cold Reynauds hands warmed by my mom, trying on her wedding ring and being snuggled for probably the only time that week. I remember nothing that was taught, but I remember I was loved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-10-2015), kiloyd (05-11-2015), MaybeGracie (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #11
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I keep a stash of games like these in the car & they are perfect for church, too. Look at the bottom of the page for similar items also viewed.

A Dollar Tree Sudoku puzzle book is always in my purse.

My kids really like this Fractile, too.

Last edited by mommylove; 05-11-2015 at 04:28 AM.
mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #12
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestLaidPlans View Post
I've had my kids either take "notes" by writing down whatever words they want to that they hear from the preacher or by drawing a picture of what they are hearing.

So the "notes" might look like this: salvation God help love Paul give holy

So the paper is just a list of random words. They could also write down any questions they have about what he said so they can ask me later.

Or, if the pastor was preaching on loving your neighbor, they could draw a picture of themselves showing love to a sick person by bringing them flowers, etc.

Or combine the two - they could make word art out of words he is saying.
This is a great idea!

I remember when I was about 5 I saw my dad taking notes and then get up to go to the bathroom. I grabbed his pen and wrote random words too! I totally forgot until you mentioned that! My dad kept that note in his bible forever

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
Different coloring pages would be good. They get tired of coloring books but do like to print out pages.
http://ministry-to-children.com/bible-coloring-pages/

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #14
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love my 8yo and (nearly) 6yo to listen take notes, but really I'm just happy if they're quiet. At the moment (we've just started at a new church) they tend to draw/colour, sitting in a row with girls of a similar age.
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 AM   #15
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_T View Post
I'd love my 8yo and (nearly) 6yo to listen take notes, but really I'm just happy if they're quiet. At the moment (we've just started at a new church) they tend to draw/colour, sitting in a row with girls of a similar age.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10