Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you put in green smoothies??

I hear a lot of people talking about them and I need to add greens into my diet but I don't have a clue how to make one. Do they taste ok or like purreed salad?

True obedience is a matter of love, which makes it voluntary, not compelled by fear or force. ~Dorothy Day

Blue Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you put in green smoothies??

I was worried that they'd taste like a pureed salad, but they're actually pretty good, depending on what's in it. I use either kale or romaine that needs to be used, but I've used spinach before. One of my favorite combos is:

- Giant bunch of kale (stems and veins removed)
- half a cup of blueberries
- banana (the only way I will eat this disgusting fruit!)
- cup of plain yogurt
- splash of orange juice

When I was pregnant with Gianna, I would add ground flaxseed and spirulina.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

If you start with mainly spinach, it won't taste like a salad.

This used to be my standard (before pregnancy):
Ingredients
1 banana
Other fruit you enjoy (2-3 cups chopped) - I suggest various berries, apple, orange, mango, peach, nectarines, etc.
2 cups of spinach
2-4 ounces of water
2-4 ice cubes (optional)
Sweetener to taste (optional)

If you have a low-end blender (as I used to), this is definitely not the type of smoothie where you can put everything in the blender at once & hit "Liquefy". You have to put the ingredients in slowly & add more water as needed.

Start by putting about a quarter cup of water (2 ounces) in the blender. Then add some high-liquid fruit (I use half an apple, seeds removed, and half an orange, peeled). I add Stevia at this point, but you could use honey, maple syrup, or skip the sweetener altogether, especially if you use a lot of fruit.

Then add about half of the spinach. You may need to stop the blender a couple of times to stir it in order to get the spinach to blend, or add a little more water. Add the rest of the spinach and repeat.

And then add whatever fruit you want to. Make sure to include a banana, as that makes it creamier. I use frozen fruit so that it's colder (peaches, nectarines, strawberries or mango), or I add a few ice cubes. For me, it's harder to drink if it's not cold. If you are making smoothies for kids, or the green color bothers you, then use lots of dark fruit: cherries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.

Drink this for a few days to get used to the taste. Honestly, you may not even taste the spinach. Then start upping your greens. I also use kale, collards, or chard.

This is my new standard smoothie

Chocolate Green Smoothie
1 cup coconut milk kefir (strawberry, vanilla or original are all good)
1/2 cup "milk" (I use rice or coconut)
3 tablespoons raw cocoa
2 tablespoons rice protein powder
1 scoop stevia
1 frozen banana (or more)
A couple ice cubes
Tons of greens (I use mostly spinach with some collards and kale)
A small amount of additional fruit, optional (a handful of dark cherries is my favorite)
Agave to taste (if it's not sweet enough)

Blend to smoothie consistency.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Blue Aurora (09-14-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
HummusDip

Tried and true recipe that I use is:

2 frozen bananas
several cups of frozen berries (I prefer plain strawberries)
water to get it moving
~blend~
Fill with baby spinach, like to the top of your blender and smoosh it down into the smoothie
~blend~

ahhhhhh

I sometimes put in some Udo's Fast Food or soy protein. But that's it. Sarah from Happy Foody does the exact same recipe that I use most of the time. And she's like, my idol.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Blue Aurora (09-14-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
COTK
Rose Bouquet

COTK has disabled reputation

check out "greensmoothiegirl.com" for lots of good info.

Or just google green smoothies.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusDip View Post
Tried and true recipe that I use is:

2 frozen bananas
several cups of frozen berries (I prefer plain strawberries)
water to get it moving
~blend~
Fill with baby spinach, like to the top of your blender and smoosh it down into the smoothie
~blend~

ahhhhhh

I sometimes put in some Udo's Fast Food or soy protein. But that's it. Sarah from Happy Foody does the exact same recipe that I use most of the time. And she's like, my idol.

HA!! She's my idol, too!!! too funny... she has the greatest blogs ever! so are you going to live in an RV someday, too??
Mommy to Lucy--10 years, and Jacob 2 years!
COTK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COTK For This Useful Post:
Blue Aurora (09-14-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

can I make a great green smoothie without the bananas...

...and with cherries?

and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS View Post

...and with cherries?

Without bananas, they won't be as smooth and shake-like, but it certainly can be done

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
HummusDip

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTK View Post
check out "greensmoothiegirl.com" for lots of good info.

Or just google green smoothies.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

HA!! She's my idol, too!!! too funny... she has the greatest blogs ever! so are you going to live in an RV someday, too??
LOL no, no living in an RV for us. But, I desire to live as healthy as she does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS View Post

...and with cherries?

Sure, you can use whatever you want. But it won't be as sweet. Bananas are the sweetest addition to a smoothie. So much, that you do not need ANY additional sweetener. With cherries you might need to taste it and ad some honey/agave/stevia to your liking.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...I have been pondering green smoothies for some time now....and I have chard and kale in my garden just waiting for me to use them...but I don't know whether I am ready to try a banana again....

Maybe I'm gonna have to get brave and try one and see if I react. I've just come to associate them with itching ears and throat and sneezing and haven't had the desire to try one, even though I've been treated for them months ago!

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
HummusDip

Well you can definitely go without, just experiment and see what you like best with what you can eat.

Just so you know, spinach is the most mellow green and easiest to "hide" without tasting at all. Kale and chard aren't as easy, you'll want to removed the leaves from the stems and not use even half as much as you would spinach. I'd try a bit, and then slowly ad more and more until you find as much as you can handle. With spinach, I can literally stuff almost an entire bag in and not "taste" it at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
COTK (09-15-2009), Lady TS (09-14-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Cookie Momster
Rose Garden

Cookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I put all manner of things in them. Rarely do I make the same one twice LOL I always put kale in it because I just don't like the taste and this is the only way I'll eat it. Sometimes I put zucchini or broccoli in them cos my hubby doesn't like those but he'll eat them in a smoothie. So I add whatever green leafy veggies I want and then usually a couple of chopped apples and then some frozen fruit of my choice and some apple juice cos you need some liquid. Then I add some wheatgrass and ground flaxseed. They taste really good and of fruit only.
two Young Thinkers
and two Little Explorers
~
ISFP/Type 2
~
Forgiveness happens when it becomes unimportant to hit back
~
Unite!
~

Cookie Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Momster For This Useful Post:
Blue Aurora (09-14-2009)
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
COTK
Rose Bouquet

I've been getting mixed info about spreading your greens around. Some say they eat spinach in their smoothies everyday, others say to rotate greens to avoid allergies. Any thoughts?

All I have readily available to me where I live is spinach and romane lettuce. Chard & kale would require a trip to the city an hour away. (do I really want to drive an hour for that disgusting stuff?? )
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTK View Post
I've been getting mixed info about spreading your greens around. Some say they eat spinach in their smoothies everyday, others say to rotate greens to avoid allergies. Any thoughts?

All I have readily available to me where I live is spinach and romane lettuce. Chard & kale would require a trip to the city an hour away. (do I really want to drive an hour for that disgusting stuff?? )
If you/your family is prone to allergies, it is a good idea to rotate foods. I too have read varying recommendations, from a 4-day rotation diet(only eat each type of food once every four days) to the more lenient recommendation of never to eat the same food 3 days in a row...

Guess I'm not much help, am I?

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
COTK
Rose Bouquet

Still love you anyway!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Raspberries

Lately my recipe of choice has been:

1 banana
half can of coconut milk
splash of V8 Splash
Honey
Large handful of baby spinach
5 ice cubes

It's SOOO good and sweet and I don't taste and spinach. DD2 loves it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Blue Aurora (09-15-2009)