Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guinea pig cages...Piggie owners,chime in!

Update: I bought a bigger cage! Now,I need advice about adding a second guinea pig to be Oreo' s friend.

I have done a crazy amount of research on the best space for our piggie. Just about everyone online says mesh cage plus chloroplast is the best. The infamous "C&C" cage.
Does anyone here have one? Are they worth the $100 that it's going to cost me from guineapigcages.com? Right now,we have a 26x17 cage for our pet and he's full grown. I really want to give him more space but I need reassurance that this is a good investment.
How do you clean a 40x33 cage? Right now,I lift off the top and take it outside to dump in a trashcan and then hose it down. But something the size of a pack and play might be a whole lot different.

Last edited by Beth1231; 12-17-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guinea pig cages...Piggie owners,chime in!

You want the Midwest interactive Guinean pig habitat $49.99 on Amazon. Use fleece blankets on top of moving blankets instead of sawdust. Go to a moving company and buy one of those blankets they wrap pianos in. Super absorbent. Cut one layer to size and then cut fleece to size for on top. If you are really fancy, you can sew them together. You can use a little broom and dust pan to sweep up the poos and then switch out the blankets once a week.

Guinean pigs are social so you'll need a pair.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Well,I saw your reply after finally settling on the X-Large Habitat Deluxe or something like that. It's also on Amazon.
I read sooooo many reviews on the Midwest one and finally decided not to risk of because it will be on the floor and it has a canvas bottom.
But the super absorbent cloths (piano cloths! Brilliant!) and fleece led me on yet another round of research about piggies bedding and I will be going that route for sure. There's no way I'm going to continue to use paper bedding with such a massive cage and fleece will be prettier. And it's less messy!
I'm almost as excited as my daughter to see our piggie popcorning in his new mansion.
Then the plan is to introduce him to a friend. If anyone knows about how to best do that,please let me know.
How do I make sure the pal is male?
And that they will get along?
Anything else I should know about a pair of males versus a single male?
Our pet is about 18 mo old.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We made our own c&c cage and it's much cheaper than buying the kits.

Bit late now but in case anyone else was interestes
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (12-18-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Beth1231
Deactivated

Yes,I looked into making (my husband making ) a cage but our weekends are too short and too precious right now.
I've been reading up on introducing two males and it seems it's better if it's a baby male with an adult male. So much to consider.
I looked again at Oreo and I'm mostly certain he's male.
I just want it all to go well.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
Beth1231
Deactivated

Well,my life is a lot of guinea pig lately. Yesterday,I noticed Oreo had a some hair loss and a lump on him so I'm going to visit the vet for the first time in my adult life and make sure he's healthy before I get another piggie.
And get this....there is a Guinea Pig Animal Rescue twenty minutes away! So after Oreo is all set,I'm going to take A to the shelter and see if I can pass their extensive vetting process. The cage is in A's bedroom,so they might turn me down in which case I'll revert back to Craigslist. I don't want to support pet stores after some of the sad things I've read.
So there you have it
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Ah! All I wanted to do was edit an attempt at a spoiler.
I hope Oreo is okay.

Last edited by WanderingJuniper; 12-18-2014 at 09:18 AM.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Redeemed
Rose Trellis

Redeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond repute

Beth,

When we had piggies, I had a C&C cage. You can MAKE one far cheaper than $100. I still have a ton of the cubes we used to make the cage, and I'm not using them. . .I bought the chloroplast from a local sign company. I had four male piggies in that one cage. No problems there at all.

PM me if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1231 View Post
Update: I bought a bigger cage! Now,I need advice about adding a second guinea pig to be Oreo' s friend.

I have done a crazy amount of research on the best space for our piggie. Just about everyone online says mesh cage plus chloroplast is the best. The infamous "C&C" cage.
Does anyone here have one? Are they worth the $100 that it's going to cost me from guineapigcages.com? Right now,we have a 26x17 cage for our pet and he's full grown. I really want to give him more space but I need reassurance that this is a good investment.
How do you clean a 40x33 cage? Right now,I lift off the top and take it outside to dump in a trashcan and then hose it down. But something the size of a pack and play might be a whole lot different.

Child of God since 07/1982.
Wife to Bryan, my best friend and retired soldier, since 06/2014.

Mom to DD (02/1998), DS1 (08/2006), and DS2 (01/2009).
Two w/Jesus (05/2001) and (12/2004).
Stepmom to DSD (06/2007) and DSS (04/2009).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeemed For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (12-18-2014)