Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #16
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Millennial Monopoly. . . not sure if this belongs in IF?

Everything free. Made of sheer awesome.
Chaos Coordinator (01-18-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), twoplustwo (01-18-2019), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
Wait, I can’t keep furniture for forty years because *it doesn’t last that long*

We have to replace our appliances more often. Most accessible clothing is also trash after a few months or maybe a year. Honestly nothing lasts.

I’m a millennial who owns three houses, three cars, is caring for a baby boomer, and would love to see Hasbro file bankruptcy after such a snotty, pretentious move. Boomers broke the economy, and the environment, the maternal mortality rate has gone up, and I couldn’t even finish college because my sensitivities to red 40, yellow 5, and so forth victimized me and left me nonfunctional.

Essentially, if life is a house, millennials were given the bathroom with the clogged toilet. Gross and who made this mess and why do I have to smell it for the rest of forever, while the boomers with the golden plunger hang out in the lounge with their cigarettes and statins
while gen x is in the kitchen whipping up a big jaded batch of noodleroni.
I was thinking the part I bolded.

However I kind every time I hear about replacing Clothes and furniture. I buy clothes that last and last and I have very few items so I use the same 3 jeans 3-4/wk (don’t always use jeans on work days!) we are total thrifters except jeans. And things last anlong long time.

Furniture... same. Maybe not 40 yrs but 10 years at least

For the most part I feel that millennials were given short end of the stick but I don’t do well w the “replace things” idea. It drives me slightly batty how the millennials throw things away instead of fix things. I’m confused because it seems wasteful and I thought that reuse and recycle was a big part of their motto in life.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), teamommy (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #18
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

The living room furniture that we bought about four years ago is falling apart. And the mattress has gone from too firm to sleep on, to too squishy for good sex, which makes me think it’s rapidly deteriorating as well.

I drive an 8 year old minivan but it runs like a chitty chitty bang bang.

I think it is harmful to perpetuate the fallacy that millennials are broke bc they make poor choices.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I try hard not to over wash my clothes- often wearing them 3-4 times between washes - bc they pill up, shrink, etc.

The about three years ago I replaced all my frayed and funky wedding gift towels with a fresh name-brand set from a department store and lo and behold, they are all frayed and funky already as well.

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

I have another example! Last year my washer went out. We actually ordered a part from amazon and my husband used YouTube to replace it. But the washer still didn’t work. So we consulted a repair company, but their cost was just as much as a replacement machine of the exact same model, which the store still carried bc the first was only a couple years old!

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Llee (01-18-2019), mommychem (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #19
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

DELETED.

Actually, I adore millennials, thinK IN GENERAL they WERE treated unfairly, given short end of the stick, and I am not going to make one difference of opinion a hill to die on

Carry on

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 01-18-2019 at 09:06 AM.
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Little Forest (01-20-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #20
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneandbaby View Post
The throw awaythings instead of fix things is not because of millennials. It’s because our capitalist-driven economy has made the decision to build things to where the expectation is they fail after a short period of time. Phones are literally built to be forced into obsolescence after just a few years. Once the companies stop supporting your phone with the ability to update or work with new software, your technology device is now useless. I did extensive research when my refrigerator and stove died at the same time as to *why* they died after only 8 years of use. And sure enough, that’s on purpose! The average life expectancy of a new appliance in this day and age is 8 years. It can be even shorter for “smart” appliances. And since they have more complex parts it is more expensive to repair. People then opt to replace instead of repair and so then it further drives up the cost of repairs because now the volume has decreased. Parts are no longer kept in stock and repairmen capable of repairing these things are fewer and fewer.

We have opted to get both our stove and our fridge repaired. We are on our 4th fridge repair. Our stove it took two months to get it actually repaired because he had to find the problem, order the part then it was 6 weeks for the part to come in and then the schedule the repair. Meanwhile I had to figure out how to cook for my family of 10, plus host Thanksgiving and Christmas for extended family. And the repair still cost only 600 dollars less than a new stove.

Our entire culture and economy has moved past the idea that items are repaired and kept for long periods of time for every generation, not just millennials.
Yes to all of this. Our church building is 10 years old and EVERYTHING is falling apart now. I've seen my parents go through this with their appliances. I had to replace a cell phone because I could no longer receive phone calls in my own home (low service area, and the old phone made it impossible to make or get calls inside, though I could do so in the street in front of my house), and my son had an anaphylactic reaction and no one could get ahold of me. Things are made cheap, and made to be replaced. That's the lot of it.

Every generation complains about the one following it, and they say the exact same thing, pretty much. Socrates wrote: “The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (01-18-2019), everybody's mother (01-18-2019), Little Forest (01-20-2019), Llee (01-18-2019), mommychem (01-19-2019), Quiteria (01-18-2019), rosesnsnails (01-18-2019), Soliloquy (01-19-2019), teamommy (01-18-2019), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I'll chime in and agree on how well made appliances and other modern "necessities". Our brand new dishwasher started falling apart after 3 years. We spent the $150 to fix it. Less than 3 months later it started tripping the breaker. Yeah, that we aren't able to fix ourselves and it would have cost $150 for a tech to come out to assess the issue and $150 plus parts and labor to come actually fix it. We washed our dishes by hand for 3 months and bought a new one. Praying this one lasts longer than 4 years.

HB, we had similar issues with my cell phone. I just got a new one and it's so much better. Dh is limping along with his old one still. I don't think he uses it as much as I do.

It's frustrating and expensive and I don't really see any way to stop the cycle.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), Llee (01-18-2019), teamommy (01-18-2019), twoplustwo (01-21-2019), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #22
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

For the record I agree things now fall apart I don’t need convincing(just in case those posts are trying to Convince me). That’s not the issue I have - I take issue w how most millennials approach that... . But I don’t want to get into it

Things are NOT made how they used to be made. I ageee 100%

everybody's mother (01-18-2019), MaySunflowers (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #23
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

We just had to get a new dishwasher because to repair it would have been $800. That is just crazy. The problem was because the parts were so expensive because they now use different parts for what is essentially the same level of dishwasher. It was a "high end" dishwasher. It had a lot of bells and whistles. (it was in the house we recently purchased.) That line of dishwashers kept "improving" and adding more features. The parts are different because everything is supposedly improved to add more options. Like 4 different rack heights, and tines that move around more, etc, so the old racks and their wheels were obsolete. 8 years ago, they did not have that feature. (I know because a home warranty company replaced the dishwasher with today's comparable model. ) I think the desire and expectation for more features is the hallmark of our new culture, and whether that is spearheaded by millennials or not, I don't know. But I think that is why things need to be replaced rather than fixed.Honestly, though, we often buy things with a lot of options and features and we never utilize them. Maybe it is just us, but I never move the racks up and down, I use one cycle on my dishwasher, and I don't really move the tines up and down. I just load it, add detergent and turn it on the same way every time.
In our first home that we bought 18 years ago, the dishwasher has a plain knob you turn to turn it on, it has two cycles- quick or normal that is it! It is not energy efficient, it is not water saving, etc. It is still in that house and running fine. As far as I know, it cleans the dishes, as our tenants have never contacted us about it. Appliance people tell us that those models, made today or back then, last longer and can be still be repaired easily. But, no one really wants them, so

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 01-18-2019 at 11:53 AM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), Quiteria (01-18-2019), Soliloquy (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #24
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

It’s the design of capitalism.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

But, I could be wrong, I believe in the uk they are passing or trying to pass “right to repair” laws that require manufacturers to provide consumers with appliances that can be repaired more easily and take longer to become obsolete.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), HuggaBuggaMommy (01-18-2019), mommychem (01-19-2019), Quiteria (01-18-2019), rosesnsnails (01-18-2019), squiddles (01-20-2019), twoplustwo (01-21-2019), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #25
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

That would be wonderful!

I tried dividing out the monthly replacement cost once of some of the items that are major purchases...computers and phones that are obsolete within 3 years or less, appliances needing repair, mattresses...it's very discouraging. I had the carrier drop my phone for being too old to be compatible with their network, and I had the power supply give out on a computer I still found useful.

I wrote a big paragraph about clothing, but I'll just spoiler and move on since we are way past convincing. It just feels cathartic to complain together.

Back on the Original Topic--I think there could really be a market for an updated game of Life with realistic choices. Or a Monopoly knock-off. I love Domestic Zookeeper's ideas.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-18-2019), JoannaV (01-18-2019), Little Forest (01-20-2019), Llee (01-18-2019), rosesnsnails (01-18-2019), The Tickle Momster (01-18-2019), twoplustwo (01-21-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #26
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Every single generation can point to their version of a short stick they were handed. I remember being in my early 20s and all of "us" were very bitter about the stick we were handed (Gen X). We're in our 40s now and we're learning to overcome that.

I would NOT want to have been my mother, coming of age in the late 1950s. Yes, her sofa lasted 40 years (and it cost a LOT more than a modern sofa, based on prices adjusted for inflation) but her life choices were drastically limited.

EVERY generation gets handed some clogged toilets and baskets of doo doo. If you can't see the baskets of doo doo that the older generations had, it's because they've found ways to dispose of them in a healthy way or they've integrated the stinkiness in to their outlook and way of life. Some people say, "this is what I've got, where will I go from here." Some people just sit and live in the stink.

Each generation has their hills to climb.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Back on the Original Topic--I think there could really be a market for an updated game of Life with realistic choices. Or a Monopoly knock-off. I love Domestic Zookeeper's ideas.
An updated Game of Life would be great.

The whole premise of Monopoly is to risk everything to try and be the mogul who owns it all. You know you'll either own it all or be left with nothing. Not a good life plan. (I find Monopoly really boring, personally.)

Last edited by Soliloquy; 01-19-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-19-2019), HomeWithMyBabies (01-22-2019), teamommy (01-21-2019), tempus vernum (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #27
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
The whole premise of Monopoly is to risk everything to try and be the mogul who owns it all. You know you're either to go own it all or be left with nothing. Not a good life plan. (I find Monopoly really boring, personally.)
Now that I think about it, there is a branding version of Monopoly that does hit close to home in modern times. I forget the name, but you buy billboards like McD's, Amazon, WalMart, Apple, etc., until your corporation owns everything.

The original version was designed to make a statement about the unfairness of monopolies, so the fact you either own a ton and become the wealthy landlord charging astronomically more as you crowd out the competition--or keep losing drastically while being mortgaged to the hilt--was kind of the point it was trying to make. Not so much advice to follow as economic awareness / commentary /
criticism.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Monopoly Empire
https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-B5095-...s%2C200&sr=8-1

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
rosesnsnails (01-20-2019), Soliloquy (01-19-2019), tempus vernum (01-21-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
They subscribe to things and change their decor frequently vs their mothers who have had the same sofa for 40 years..
Quote:
Wait, I can’t keep furniture for forty years because *it doesn’t last that long*
I guess I need to clarify more. In my quote above I was not giving a qualitative comparison. Whether to spend more on a sofa or not is a neutral choice.

The marketplace has changed to meet consumer demands. Back when my mom was a young wife, it was expected to keep the same sofa for decades. Getting it re-upholstered every 20 years was what you did. Every city had several shops that re-upholstered furniture. Now, I don't know if you could even find such a shop. My mom didn't make a choice between a cheaper sofa that wouldn't last and a more expensive sofa that would last. There was only once choice. Many people saved up for years to buy a piece of upholstered furniture. When I was a kid, we were allowed to SIT on the sofa. That's it. We couldn't lie on it, bounce, stand, and most certainly we never ATE on it. Because it was expensive and everyone knew it had to be taken care of. Our TV was in the kitchen and we sat on the hard wooden chairs to watch it.

Somewhere between when my mom got married in the 1960s and when I became and adult, much cheaper furniture that would not last as long became available. People had choices. Cheaper, less durable furniture won out. My MIL used to work at a furniture store that sold the more expensive furniture that lasted decades. It went out of business, not because of some capitalist plot but because the customers stopped going there and went to the likes of Ashley and all the others.

You can still buy furniture that will last decades. It will cost at least 5x as much as furniture at the throngs of stores that sell the cheaper stuff. Very few people, including myself, are interested in investing that kind of money into a sofa.

I am noticing a current trend toward minimalism that may swing the pendulum back the other way toward fewer things that you keep longer, seeking out higher quality. Maybe not.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

My only point in bringing up the differences in furniture between decades is that each generation has different options than the ones that came before it. And values can change. And it's very tempting to label the younger generation as ungrateful and the older generation as having had it easy, or vice versa.

My mom can be shocked that I let my kinds do all kind of crazy gymnastics on our sofa. But I am mentally and financially prepared to replace it in 10 years.

It's not about the sofa.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 01-19-2019 at 04:20 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-19-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), HomeWithMyBabies (01-22-2019), OnAMission (01-19-2019), teamommy (01-21-2019), tempus vernum (01-19-2019), The Tickle Momster (01-19-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #29
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

While that may be true, that is a consumer-capital relationship initiated by those who were adults in the 80s and 90s, not millennials.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
boudicca (03-01-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), knitlove (01-20-2019), Little Forest (01-20-2019), Quiteria (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #30
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
While that may be true, that is a consumer-capital relationship initiated by those who were adults in the 80s and 90s, not millennials.

Yeah, I know, that's exactly what I wrote.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Somewhere between when my mom got married in the 1960s and when I became and adult, much cheaper furniture that would not last as long became available. People had choices. Cheaper, less durable furniture won out. My MIL used to work at a furniture store that sold the more expensive furniture that lasted decades. It went out of business, not because of some capitalist plot but because the customers stopped going there and went to the likes of Ashley and all the others.
That's what I wrote. I'm 46. It happened before I became an adult and has continued and grown since then.

I clarified more than once. I never, ever wrote anything negative about millennials. I wrote that every generation has different options, choices, and challenges, and often cultural values shift. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 01-20-2019 at 05:42 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-20-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), HomeWithMyBabies (01-22-2019), teamommy (01-21-2019), tempus vernum (01-21-2019)