Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Hannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Awesomeness That Is Kombucha

So... I wanted someplace to come and geek out. I got my SCOBY a little over a month ago and I'm ridiculously in live with it, as are both my boys. So, other than the GCMer I got my SCOBY from... are there any other adherents to The Great Order of Kombuchites here?

What's your favorite second ferment, if you've tried it? Most of ours doesn't make it that far, but I'm slowly building up the number of jars on my kitchen shelf to try to match our consumption.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hannah Elise For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Awesomeness That Is Kombucha

My two store-bought faves are strawberry and gingerberry. However, our new homemade fave is DAC - double apple cinnamon, yumm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hopetobe For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Hannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobe View Post
My two store-bought faves are strawberry and gingerberry. However, our new homemade fave is DAC - double apple cinnamon, yumm!

Ooo.. what's the "double"? Cider AND chunks of apple? I need to get some cider from the farm market just up the road and try to use that for a 2f...
Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Awesomeness That Is Kombucha

It just means twice the amount of juice as normal (I think dh does 2 shots instead of 1 maybe?), but fruit and juice might be good too!

ETA: What is a 2f?

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I am growing a scoby right now!! I've tried before but I didn't pay attention and I let it get gross.
I like strawberry flavored ones from the store. DH had the one with chia seeds in it...haven't gotten the courage to try it yet.
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I now have 3 big beverage dispensers of it brewing on my counter. I get about 12 pints per week from that, and that's almost enough for the three of us. I may have to up it to 4 dispensers eventually.

Apple cinnamon sounds like a great flavor to try!

I think my favorite flavor is ginger, but DH like berry flavors, so I usually wind up doing strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries. I've gotten to where I almost won't drink it without chia seeds in it, though. I love it that way so much. I've found that if I add a Tbs or two after the second ferment, and give it at least a day to sit after adding the chia, then it's just about perfect.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (09-18-2014), mom2boys (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Good info!! I wasn't sure how I was going to get them in there for dh. Lol
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobe View Post
It just means twice the amount of juice as normal (I think dh does 2 shots instead of 1 maybe?), but fruit and juice might be good too!

ETA: What is a 2f?

Oh, sorry! That's the acronym they use for "second ferment" in a kombucha troubleshooting Facebook groul I've ventured into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys View Post
Good info!! I wasn't sure how I was going to get them in there for dh. Lol
In aforementioned group, someone commented that they were having tissues with not having their chia seeds just form one clump ... another person said they put the chia seeds into some water and let them sit and gel for like a half-hour, and then mix them in, and have had success that way. So that might be a method to try. I figured that would be what I would try when I got around to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannah Elise For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (09-18-2014), mom2boys (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Clumping can be an issue. I give it a good shake several times while it's sitting, and that helps.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
mom2boys (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

miss my kombucha! stopped brewing after my miscarriage last summer. there are other threads on gcm if you poke around!

i put chia in smoothies & granola & made a dessert using them, but never tried storebought k.t. with them. must try! how many tsp/Tbsp do you suppose is in a bottle?

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I love love booch or KT as it's called in our house. Always a favorite is cranberry-lemon.
Personally I ador ginger elderberry.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I love grape, strawberry, strawberry rhubarb (honesteadmama turned me on to that one), apple cider, lemon, and blueberry. I haven't learned to love ginger booch, yet.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (09-18-2014), mom2boys (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

I was gonna say strawberry rhubarb, but Soliloqy beat me to it. Seriously. You should try it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I usually just throw some frozen strawberries in my KT glass as "ice", and as they defrost, they flavor the drink. Easy and yummy. I've been doing continuous brew for awhile now, so I don't do a second ferment (I don't want to bother with extra jars to clean). But the frozen fruit in the cup is great. I keep lots of frozen fruit on hand for this purpose...blueberries, rhubarb, raspberries, blackberries...

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homesteadmama For This Useful Post:
FaithnPraise (09-24-2014), Hopetobe (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

So here's a question.. does anyone else get short temper as a detox/Herx reaction when consuming probiotic foods? Argh.

Or maybe it s just pregnancy and feeling like I hit the grounds running two days before vacation and haven't stopped.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Not really, no. I mean if there was something to really detox from in my system the. My answer may be different but we did a big clean up not too terribly long ago and have kept up with some core detoxing practices since.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote