Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #31
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal

Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #32
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal

The laws regarding corporal punishment are different for each state. I'm in South Carolina and my husband is in law enforcement, so I have access to the 'code' book. Here, believe it or not, it is illegal to strike a child anywhere but the bottom or with anything but the hand. Enforcement is a different issue. My point is 1) there is a legal foundation for prosecuting this couple depending on the laws of their state and 2) changing the laws does far less than changing the heart. We are in a battle for hearts and souls, not just or even predominately rules.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-05-2011), Cook (04-05-2011), CrunchySeaSalt (04-06-2011), Drew (04-07-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), emerald (04-06-2011), Eowyn (04-05-2011), hopeforchange (04-05-2011), joyousTXmama (04-05-2011), MarynMunchkins (04-06-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), rjy9343 (04-05-2011), UltraMother (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011), Zooey (04-09-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #33
Cook
Rose Bush

Cook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of light

This really breaks my heart. Did I read correctly that the dad was quoted as saying 3 months old is an appropriate age to start spanking with a literal rod. This is sick. I have some bad business of abuse from my past but the idea that ANYONE could wrap their mind around that young of using physical infliction of pain to yield a behavior change... I'm ... I'm not sure at all what to think of that. I too had to pray for courage to spank in the name of Christianity. Oddly enough my own faith started to suffer greatly around that time

I also agree that laws don't stop people. But maybe this sort of extreme story *will* make people second guess their approach in any discipline situation.

A career student at
'God Is Still Growing Me' Techincal College
Jointly enrolled at 'Amen To That' University

My husband is active duty Army. We had three kids in thirty one months. Fortunately I've kept them all alive and mostly healthy Even the stressful days are blessings and/or struggles that we've overcome!

The next generation of perpetually in progress humans:
Darrell(Dec2006)
Jonas(April2008)
Katie(July2009)
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cook For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (04-06-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #34
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

Annainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond repute

Wielder of the Palette Knife of Chocolaty Brownieness

rejoicing with those who have escaped abuse, and praying for those still trapped

Unite!

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei
Annainprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #35
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
This really breaks my heart. Did I read correctly that the dad was quoted as saying 3 months old is an appropriate age to start spanking with a literal rod.
Actually, someone was quoted as saying that 1 and a half months was an appropriate age to use the rod.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #36
ClassicMom
Rose Blossom

ClassicMom is just really niceClassicMom is just really niceClassicMom is just really niceClassicMom is just really nice

I'm speechless... well, almost. The part that gave me chills was the father admitting to seeing bruises on the little girl's body, but then he would remember "Jesus died the most horrible death." And?! That is just twisted beyond anything I've ever heard.

I pray that little girl will be placed in a home where she will experience true love and grace.

BTW, does anyone know if she has been removed from her parents yet? One of the earlier news stories indicated that she and others are still with their parents, but I may have missed something in the past few days.

ClassicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClassicMom For This Useful Post:
Drew (04-07-2011), Zooey (04-09-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #37
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

Spanking 6 week old babies in the name of God? I can only imagine how that much must sadden and disgust Him.

Isn't it illegal in Canada to spank a child under the age of two? I think that would be a wonderful start here.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #38
Sanveann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
Alexis - Hi! I haven't seen you around for a while
Hi there! It's good to be back
Old 04-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #39
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

This is
John Caminiti told investigators in November he uses a rod or dowel on his two youngest children at home or at church and the scriptures make it clear his behavior is allowed.
He said he does not allow his family to communicate with people outside his religious beliefs and has punished his wife and son by shunning, or confining them to their rooms to have no contact with other family members, until they corrected their disobedience.

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #40
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

Notice that the wife's status IRT punishment is the same level as the child's.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
Zooey (04-09-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #41
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

Yes. That's what made me . Of course hitting babies does too.

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #42
sarahbeth

This is nauseating. I know a girl that spanked her very tiny baby for crying and not being quiet in church. Only I think it was just with her hand, not an object. I know she did it with her first, not sure about her other two. She's "lucky" I suppose no one ever called CPS on her.

I just can't believe this. And it's scary what you find out about people (Lori).
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #43
joyousTXmama
Climbing Rose

joyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for posting that link. My heart feels crushed for those babies. I pray for the softening of their parents' hearts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
I think it's time to make spanking against the law in the United States.
Absolutely agree.

I will tell anyone who asks - I flatly cannot stand to watch it. To me watching a parent hit a child is no different than if a man dragged his wife aside in public... and started hitting her.

100 years ago domestic violence was "private" and "their business" and "just a part of life". And I truly believe in another 100 years, spanking children will seem just as barbaric as that standard does to the majority today.
and MK (May 2015)
Longing to hold my three s in heaven (Feb 2011, June 2011, July 2012)

AP'ing, co-sleeping, CLW, no-circ, selectively vaccinating, and learning gentleness in parenting every day!

LOVE LETS LIVE

joyousTXmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joyousTXmama For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (04-06-2011), emerald (04-06-2011), gpsings (04-06-2011), hopeforchange (04-06-2011), NewLeaf (04-06-2011), rjy9343 (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #44
NewCovenantMama
Climbing Rose

NewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
I too had to pray for courage to spank in the name of Christianity. Oddly enough my own faith started to suffer greatly around that time
I find this interesting. I'm planning a "position paper" on child discipline abuse and the false teachings which have enabled it to happen. OK if I reference this?
NewCovenantMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewCovenantMama For This Useful Post:
Cook (04-06-2011), gpsings (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #45
Cook
Rose Bush

Cook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCovenantMama View Post
I find this interesting. I'm planning a "position paper" on child discipline abuse and the false teachings which have enabled it to happen. OK if I reference this?
Sure. You'll see on my About Me page that I believe there is a huge link also between a woman's intuition and her obedience with God. When we severe the lines of what God created us to do, we hurt our relationship with Him for sure.

A career student at
'God Is Still Growing Me' Techincal College
Jointly enrolled at 'Amen To That' University

My husband is active duty Army. We had three kids in thirty one months. Fortunately I've kept them all alive and mostly healthy Even the stressful days are blessings and/or struggles that we've overcome!

The next generation of perpetually in progress humans:
Darrell(Dec2006)
Jonas(April2008)
Katie(July2009)
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cook For This Useful Post:
DoulaClara (04-06-2011), Drew (04-07-2011), nadezhda (04-06-2011), NewCovenantMama (04-06-2011)