Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold
Default James Dobson quote

Someone I like and respect, with four grown children, posted a James Dobson quote on facebook:

"A child who assaults the loving authority of his parents is greatly assured when their leadership holds firm and confident. He finds his highest security in a structured environment where the rights of other people (and his own) are protected by definite boundaries." --Dr. James Dobson

This just sits so wrong with me for some reason (besides the fact it is James Dobson). I believe in loving authority and structure and boundaries. Very much so. But highest security? I would think a child finds his highest security in the unconditional love of God and his parents. And "assault" is such a combative, adversarial term.

And I feel like I can't say anything because I'm just a young mom with a 3 and 1 year old.
Elyse221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: James Dobson quote

I agree with him on one principle; kids need firm boundaries.
But like you said-it's adversarial and it's Dobson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mom2boys For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-16-2014), Chaos Coordinator (04-16-2014), deena (04-16-2014), Elyse221 (04-16-2014), HadassahSukkot (04-21-2014), mamafulks (04-16-2014), MercyInDisguise (04-16-2014), SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014), Soliloquy (04-16-2014), Sparrow (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like it because its Dobson and I know what he's not saying. Let me flip back to quote so I can come up with my retort.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse221 View Post
"A child who assaults the loving authority of his parents is greatly assured when their leadership holds firm and confident.

Absolutely! I agree children need firm consistent boundaries. Assault it a pretty harsh word though. I prefer goes against.

He finds his highest security in a structured environment where the rights of other people (and his own) are protected by definite boundaries." --Dr. James Dobson

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Right! And a great way to protect his rights by discipling in a gentle but firm matter. Nothing violates the rights of a child more than a spanking "done out of love"
[/COLOR]
I'd probably then talk about how the choice of words creates an "us vs them" regime that is not healthy. I'd talk about getting to the heart issues of why older children disobey and the developmental issues why toddlers have a tough go at it. A child who doesn't even mastered logic can't willingly manipulate his parents.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
deena (04-16-2014), Dovenoir (04-16-2014), Elyse221 (04-16-2014), HadassahSukkot (04-21-2014), mamafulks (04-16-2014), mom2boys (04-16-2014), Zooey (04-21-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Deconstructing this stuff is really helpful.
Dovenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dovenoir For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Its getting easier for me take anything to twist the words for the good. I mean if Ezzo can scripture twist to prove his ever so wrong point - so can I twist the quotes of punitive "gurus".

Mama to:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (04-16-2014), SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

I would change "assaults" to "challenges".

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-21-2014), MercyInDisguise (04-16-2014), SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014), silverlining (04-21-2014), Sparrow (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Dobson knows the power of word choice. "Assault" is a military/war term which implies strategy, planning, and the desire to conquer. I find it difficult to really understand my children, who are doing the best they can given their lack of maturity in many areas, in that framework. They are not trying to conquer me. I do not need to be defensive OR create an offensive strategy in order to squelch the imminent coup.

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (04-17-2014), Blue-EyedLady (04-20-2014), Elyse221 (04-16-2014), emerald (04-21-2014), FarmMama (04-22-2014), flowermama (04-16-2014), HadassahSukkot (04-21-2014), mom2boys (04-16-2014), rjy9343 (04-20-2014), SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014), Sparrow (04-16-2014), Tasmanian Saint (04-17-2014), Zooey (04-21-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

If this was an isolated quote I might be inclined to think it was a poor word choice. Children do find security in their parents being in control, being consistent, etc. But Dobson repeatedly refers to parents needing to win against their children.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (04-21-2014), emerald (04-21-2014), flowermama (04-16-2014), HadassahSukkot (04-21-2014), MaiMama (04-16-2014), mamafulks (04-16-2014), MercyInDisguise (04-16-2014), SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014), Sparrow (04-16-2014), Zooey (04-21-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Sparrow
Rose Garden

My parents as new Christians read a lot of Dobson. And I was ALWAYS accused of battling my mom. A difference in opinion (no, I'd like to wear the pink dress, not the yellow or I want braids not pig tails) was will full disobedience and I was battling her.

She knows how bad the regime was, but you know.... I still can't trust my own opinion. Especially when it comes to her. And its sad because they really didn't know better and my dad especially did a way better job at the should-have-been-removed-from-parents-custody of abuse.

All that to agree that the quote in itself isn't horrible, its knowing Dobson's heart behind it.

Mama to:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-20-2014), HadassahSukkot (04-21-2014), SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like assault, either. My three year old cannot decide which stuffed animal she wants to take to bed with her, I doubt she is planning a coup to take over the house. Ivy's security does come in part from knowing that her parents are in control of themselves and are not going to beat the fool out her when she steps out of line. She is not afraid of telling us when she has done something wrong and is quick to look for a way to fix it. Something that I do not see in kids that are punished.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (04-20-2014), Elyse221 (04-21-2014), HadassahSukkot (04-21-2014), MercyInDisguise (04-23-2014), SewingGreenMama (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 AM   #11
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBlue View Post
Dobson knows the power of word choice. "Assault" is a military/war term which implies strategy, planning, and the desire to conquer. I find it difficult to really understand my children, who are doing the best they can given their lack of maturity in many areas, in that framework. They are not trying to conquer me. I do not need to be defensive OR create an offensive strategy in order to squelch the imminent coup.
This.