Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #76
tryin-to-FROG
Rose Bouquet

tryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nice
Default Re: Charlotte Mason?

I love the nature walks with camera idea- seems much easier than hauling lots of indentification books on the walk
True about when they are outside having less housework, although you should see that yard outsidelol They can make a mess anywhere
Yes definatly post the link to your blog! I would love to read it. I just bought the charlotte mason companion and so far it is great. I ended up finding a used sonlight set to use this year. Then I am hoping in future years that will give me enough guidance to try it on my own.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #77
SpindleGirl

I have a question that is totally just curiosity getting the best of me (and I want to get back to this to read more in-depth at a later point in time) ...

... regarding the second language for Charlotte Mason ... can it be American Sign Language? I mean, would that count? I have just started researching the CMM and AO and I have yet to read her writings but that one little question is nagging me for some reason tonight!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #78
Shnooky

I think learning sign language as another language would be awesome! Just think of the opportunites they will have in the future being able to speak to the deaf, or do interpretation, or generally help a hearing impared person at the shops struggling to communicate!! I think thats a great idea!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #79
SpindleGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnooky View Post
I think learning sign language as another language would be awesome! Just think of the opportunites they will have in the future being able to speak to the deaf, or do interpretation, or generally help a hearing impared person at the shops struggling to communicate!! I think thats a great idea!
really?! I've been signing with my sons since the first one was 7 months old and I've kinda slacked on it thinking they would need to learn another *spoken/written* language instead. It would be great if that would work as the second language because I'm wanting to learn it myself and they're really into the tactile-ness of it. I just didn't know if it would work in with Charlotte Mason's method since I haven't already done the research...

Last edited by SpindleGirl; 07-26-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #80
AngelBee
Climbing Rose

AngelBee is on a distinguished road

We are looking at doing some ASL as well
Angela helpmeet to Rich= Joey 20 (adpoted 3/10)Dominick 13, Abigail 11, Angelo 8, Mylee 6, Delainey 4, Colton, 2, and twin girls due July 2013! Dog Jake and Kitty Sarah Quiverful, Homeschooling family www.bixbyblabs.blogspot.com
"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid God might ask me the same questions". ~Anonymous
AngelBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #81
Donna T.

I guess I've gotten the go ahead about posting my blog address . I haven't worked on it all summer, until today when I deleted some of the bulk. But, there is some info. on Charlotte Mason there... if you scroll down (it takes it awhile to load, I need to put it on a diet - plan to work on that soon... I think it's the music that slows it down) you will find a CM section on the right hand side bar.

Blessings!

Donna T.
www.fishfellacademy.blogspot.com
Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #82
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reading The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola and I just want to share something that stuck out to me today:

"Charlotte knew that the self-educated, self-made man is energetic, curious, and enthusiastic. Enthusiasm, more than any other quality, has powerfully and permanently influenced the shaping of mankind. Enthusiasm has swayed the hearts of nations and determined the lives and characters of many individuals. Therefore, Charlotte carefully considered enthusiasm in the scheme of education. Mr. Gibbon, the headmaster of a PNEU boy's school, said, 'A nation whose teachers learn to conserve the ardor and suriosity of the seven-year-old for the twelve years that follow, unimpaired, would make itself well nigh invincible in the world.'" p. 279

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to illinoismommy For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (05-22-2015)
Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #83
IslandMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
I'm reading The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola and I just want to share something that stuck out to me today:

"Charlotte knew that the self-educated, self-made man is energetic, curious, and enthusiastic. Enthusiasm, more than any other quality, has powerfully and permanently influenced the shaping of mankind. Enthusiasm has swayed the hearts of nations and determined the lives and characters of many individuals. Therefore, Charlotte carefully considered enthusiasm in the scheme of education. Mr. Gibbon, the headmaster of a PNEU boy's school, said, 'A nation whose teachers learn to conserve the ardor and suriosity of the seven-year-old for the twelve years that follow, unimpaired, would make itself well nigh invincible in the world.'" p. 279
Great point! Enthusiasm for learning is a wonderful goal--something I am really trying to teach my children in our homeschooling. I had to laugh as I just read something the other day about how higher test scores in schools will bring greater achievement to the US! lol...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #84
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

hi cm mamas...anyone around? i have a dd (three on sun) and would love to start applying some CM principles to our daily lives. i know we are way to young for school...so what would you recommend we (1) do now and (2) i read now. thanks!

ETA: i am making an effort to be outside (despite this cold weather)...2 hours wed and 45 mins today. the kids loved it. we have been blessed with awesome books...and my kids love to read. and i'm working my way thru a stack of books of my own. thanks!

Last edited by abh5e8; 01-24-2010 at 05:42 PM.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #85
tryin-to-FROG
Rose Bouquet

tryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nice

Playoutside and just enjoy nature with your kids. Also do a lot of reading aloud especially with good books- you can get ideas from the fove in a row or before five in a row lists.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #86
eve

Default Re: Can I do Charlotte Mason in Indonesia?

I'm very interested in using CM method for my 2 dc. I've gone thru the Ambleside Online and have printed out the booklist for Year 0 and Year 1. I have a lot of adjustment to make because we live in Indonesia and I can't find some of the suggested books. I really need some advice on how to do this in my country because I really like her method. Thank you...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #87
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
hi cm mamas...anyone around? i have a dd (three on sun) and would love to start applying some CM principles to our daily lives. i know we are way to young for school...so what would you recommend we (1) do now and (2) i read now. thanks!

ETA: i am making an effort to be outside (despite this cold weather)...2 hours wed and 45 mins today. the kids loved it. we have been blessed with awesome books...and my kids love to read. and i'm working my way thru a stack of books of my own. thanks!
Did you read For The Children's Sake yet? Follow that with A Charlotte Mason Companion, then the original books.

The Following User Says Thank You to illinoismommy For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (06-22-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #88
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve View Post
I can't find some of the suggested books. I really need some advice on how to do this in my country because I really like her method.
The CM method is more than which books you use. It's actually more than living books, narrating and nature study, although those are some of its distinctives. It's a whole different way of approaching teaching because it recognizes a whole different way that children learn.

If you have some time, you could try reading some of the books about the method to get CM's perspective of children; once you truly understand that, much of the rest of it falls into place.

If you need to start school right away, you could try some interesting books in different subjects and have your children tell back after reading. "Interesting books" means books that are so fascinating that you yourself could curl up in a chair and read them and learn something from them.

If you're having trouble finding places to buy books, there are lots of online books for children at www.mainlesson.com; almost any of those could be used without having having to buy anything, although you'd have to read them from your computer or print them out on your printer chapter by chapter. If you need books in a language other than English -- I don't know of any websites, so I can't help with that . . .
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #89
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
The CM method is more than which books you use. It's actually more than living books, narrating and nature study, although those are some of its distinctives. It's a whole different way of approaching teaching because it recognizes a whole different way that children learn.
I read this on AO site:

Quote:
Before getting to the nuts and bolts, we'd like to emphasize that we believe in Charlotte Mason's method and the philosophy behind it, and that it's our confidence in her ideas that prompted us to put this curriculum online. But this curriculum is only one tool and was never intended to replace a parent's understanding of the principles behind a CM education, what its goals are, how it works. Curriculum is only part of the picture. Without the understanding of Charlotte Mason's vision, even a curriculum like Ambleside Online won't give your children a CM education. It will just be another booklist, a collection of texts and subjects to mark off a checklist.
ETA: The bold in the above quote is not my emphasis. It was already bolded.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8

Last edited by Codi; 06-29-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #90
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

I'm not sure I know what point you are trying to make, Codi? Are you interested in Charlotte Mason?