Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone want to join me in eating raw for a week or two in January?

I was thinking about this thread http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=489377 and thinking I'd like to try eating raw again for, well, maybe 10 days. I'll ask my older daughter if she'd like to do it with me and for how long she'd like to do it.

I think I'd like to start January 2nd.

Is anyone else interested in doing this? Your goal could even be to eat one raw meal a day if doing it the whole day wouldn't work well for you. Or even just increasing the amount of raw food you eat (or drink).

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone want to join me in eating raw for a week or two in January?

I'll join in a 'dip my toes in the water' kinda way if that's alright

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
flowermama (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh, cool! That'd be great!

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

I'm not going to worry about being completely raw, but will do my best! So, for instance, I'll use maple syrup even though it might not be raw, and I'm going to use spring roll wrappers and miso and use some condiments that might not be raw and some dried fruit that might not be "officially" raw, etc.

I'm going to start collecting recipe ideas.

Here's a page with ideas for ice cream: http://www.mnn.com/food/recipes/stor...one-ingredient I've made strawberry banana ice cream before, and it was good!

A couple recipes for raw carrot cake:
http://justglowingwithhealth.com/no-...eecarrot-cake/
http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/...ml#.VJiZeV4AKA

I'll be using my juicer and can use the carrot pulp to make the carrot cake. I've tried it before, and it's surprisingly pretty good.

Here's a recipe of my own: Put cauliflower in a food processor with some curry powder and sea salt and process it on pulse, until the cauliflower is in little pieces. Then cut up some green onions, celery, and radishes and mix them in.

Apple slices or celery with nut butter (I like almond butter sweetened with maple syrup).

Spring rolls (just putting the wrappers in water to soften them up) and filling them with yummy ingredients. I'll post ideas for ingredients later.

Okay, that's all for now!

If anyone has ideas to share, please do!

gentlechristianmothers
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see your recipes and ideas. I tried to go raw many, many years ago - before internet and without really understanding the entire concept - I put ranch dressing on everything. It lasted about a week or so. I have read some raw food cookbooks and it just seems really labor intensive - lots of dehydrating and odd ingredients. I could possibly do one meal a day though especially if I don't have to do totally raw. I make my own salad dressing using olive oil and a mix of vinegars - red wine, apple cider and balsamic and dijon mustard. I could just use lemon juice and olive oil I suppose. Is olive oil raw?
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
flowermama (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
I would like to see your recipes and ideas. I tried to go raw many, many years ago - before internet and without really understanding the entire concept - I put ranch dressing on everything. It lasted about a week or so. I have read some raw food cookbooks and it just seems really labor intensive - lots of dehydrating and odd ingredients. I could possibly do one meal a day though especially if I don't have to do totally raw. I make my own salad dressing using olive oil and a mix of vinegars - red wine, apple cider and balsamic and dijon mustard. I could just use lemon juice and olive oil I suppose. Is olive oil raw?
I sure know what you mean about it seeming labor intensive. It really can be that way. I think it can be more simple, though, too. Since I'm just doing it for a short time, I'm not going to do too many fancy things. I don't have a good dehydrator. I think I'll probably grow some sprouts, though. I'm learning more each time I try eating raw for a short time (this is only my third time), so hopefully some day I'll be really good at it!

Some olive oil is raw, but I'm not sure how to tell which ones are raw unless it says it on the bottle. I think I'll likely use one that probably isn't raw. The dressing you make sounds good!

gentlechristianmothers
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
believer (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join you!

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
I ate raw for probably six straight months once. I was the absolute *best* I ever felt. Mostly, I ate fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, and that was pretty much it. I did very little "cooking" after the first several weeks because it is so labor intensive; I don't have time for that. I had smoothies in the morning, salads for for dinner, and just sorta munched in between. I made a fancy recipe maybe twice a week...mostly raw brownies But an entree here and there.

Once the weather gets cold, I just can't seem to do it anymore.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-03-2015), believer (12-24-2014), flowermama (12-23-2014)
Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

I ended up not doing this. I still want to try it, but maybe I'll wait until a little later in the year.

gentlechristianmothers
Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i'd be up for it, although i would need lots of help/ideas/recipes.

also is there any form of chocolate that is raw? like if i don't cook my chocolate bar does that count

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

oh and warmer weather would be a help in doing it for me too

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to join a raw challenge someday! Right now i'm in the process of trying to figure out GAPS for my daughter which is really hard for this vegetarian mama.
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote