Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #61
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fermentation support thread :D

Here's what I would do on Intro and still dealing with yeast. If it's the leaves, I would just get rid of those and skim the top. If it's the pickles, I would probably start over.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (07-10-2011), Thankfulforgrace (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #62
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I've never had mold on anything when I use quart jars. I don't weigh it down either.

I love fermented salsa! You do not need to peel or seed the toms (can you tell I'm super low maintenance? )
Posted via Mobile Device

I have no clue how you do that! That's awesome!

I cannot wait to have fermented salsa. I am a big salsa lover. Especially when I was pregnant, it helped the nausea!!

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
Here's what I would do on Intro and still dealing with yeast. If it's the leaves, I would just get rid of those and skim the top. If it's the pickles, I would probably start over.
. It was just the leaves so I'll hope it's ok. But maybe I'll limit them jic. How full do you fill your ziplocks?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #63
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

feel a pickle. if it's slimy (obviously, not slightly) chuck the lot. if not, then they'll be fine mold does not equal candida. if you have a mold allergy, esp. a severe one, you may well react to a number of ferments, even if there was no visible mold. if that's the case, i'd go with higher salt content and/or shorter fermentation periods.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (07-10-2011), Thankfulforgrace (07-10-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #64
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

All three of my jars of pickles turned to complete mush My record so far

Kefir (tired multiple times and ways) = fail
pickles (tried twice) = fail
gingered carrots = fail
beet kavass = technically pass but flavor is a big fail
kombucha = pass
sauerkraut = pass

Maybe I should quit wasting groceries

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #65
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
All three of my jars of pickles turned to complete mush My record so far

Kefir (tired multiple times and ways) = fail
pickles (tried twice) = fail
gingered carrots = fail
beet kavass = technically pass but flavor is a big fail
kombucha = pass
sauerkraut = pass

Maybe I should quit wasting groceries

Have you tried Dilly Carrots? There the only ones I like so far...
AngelaVA (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #66
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I made Kimchee with Napa cabbage & added radishes to one jar and those white Japanese (I think?) turnips to another. The kids loved the radishes. Haven't opened the turnip one yet.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
curlymopmom (07-19-2011), DancingWithElves (07-19-2011), Soliloquy (07-21-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #67
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

Angela, tell me how you made your pickles
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #68
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithElves View Post
Angela, tell me how you made your pickles
I used the recipe from Wild Fermentation. I didn't have any grape leaves though, but she says the are optional. I divided it into three mason jars because I didn't have a big container that would work. I tried Sweetpeasmommy's idea of weighing them down with zipper bags filled with water when they were floating to the top. Everything I got was from the farmer's market, from reliable sources so it should have been good.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfulforgrace View Post

Have you tried Dilly Carrots? There the only ones I like so far...

Maybe I will try these when carrots are more in season, we've been getting a few at a time from our CSA but the girls eat them before I can do anything with them.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #69
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

-what pickling spices did you add?
-did you scrub your cucumbers very thoroughly removing every bit of debris?
-which salt concentration did you use (he has a few offered in his recipe) 3 T per quart?
-how long did you leave them out and in what weather?

just trying to help. I've never used leaves ( don't have any) but they don't turn soft. they are not perfectly crunchy like from the store, but they are for sure crunchy to some degree.

The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-22-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #70
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I started some fermented beets today.

I also got some purple carrots in my CSA, and I'm dying to make dilly carrots with them. Got red cabbage as well!
Posted via Mobile Device
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #71
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I love love love spicy kimchee!

Angela, can you tell me about your kefir? What was wrong, where did you get your SCOBY?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #72
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

dh made started some cucumbers, I am loving the red cabbage and the serano peppers are awsome!
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abbiroads For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-27-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #73
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

My carrots never got sour, just super-salty. So I added some of our probiotic powder to the mix to see what would happen. They got gross. I threw away the batch.

I'm trying to make them dairy-free, so no whey. I doubled the salt, and I'm wondering if it was too much and inhibited the fermentation? Also, I washed and peeled the carrots - was I supposed to leave them unpeeled?

I feel like such a failure - I can't even make stuff "go bad" properly.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #74
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
My carrots never got sour, just super-salty. So I added some of our probiotic powder to the mix to see what would happen. They got gross. I threw away the batch.

I'm trying to make them dairy-free, so no whey. I doubled the salt, and I'm wondering if it was too much and inhibited the fermentation? Also, I washed and peeled the carrots - was I supposed to leave them unpeeled?

I feel like such a failure - I can't even make stuff "go bad" properly.
I peeled and washed and did the double salt. Did you leave them out for long enough? I love my carrots, oh they are so good.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #75
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithElves View Post
-what pickling spices did you add?
-did you scrub your cucumbers very thoroughly removing every bit of debris?
-which salt concentration did you use (he has a few offered in his recipe) 3 T per quart?
-how long did you leave them out and in what weather?

just trying to help. I've never used leaves ( don't have any) but they don't turn soft. they are not perfectly crunchy like from the store, but they are for sure crunchy to some degree.
I add dried dill that maybe wasn't fresh enough, I did scrub them but who knows maybe I missed a spot. I used the link posted on this thread for recipe and salt information but I don't remember exactly. I left them in my pantry which is rather warm but still climate controled (our house is set at 72 usually) I checked them every other day by about day 8 they were mushy and day 10 they were pretty much dissolving when I touched them. They smelled really yummy and I only had a small amount of mold that I spooned off the top at one point.

RE Kombucha I made my own SCOBY with the bottled kind, I actually have multiple SCOBYs that this point, that is the one that's going well for me.

Kefir maybe worked but it just smelled and tasted so awful we just hated it, but we are dairy free for the most part and not used to milk either. I actually really hate the smell and taste of milk too so I'm not sure I can blame the kefir. I tried it for different amounts of time, with grains and with a powder started, with goats milk, pastured milk ect. We just really don't like it.

This week I tried the cultured salsa, which it says you are only to let it go for two days and today is the second day although not quite 48 hours at this point. It tastes really good, I'm not sure if it's done or not. It pretty much just tastes like salsa, but she does say in her recipe that is how it's supposed to taste.