Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Herb Fairies

Disclaimer: I got this the first year it was made available, I don't know if it's the same for new members, but here's what I have/use:

I didn't print the books, my kids prefer read alouds anyway, and it includes mp3 files of the author reading the stories, so we mainly used those.

So for the first book here's what I print per child (well, for the big girls, Lina's not reading/writing, so I just print a coloring page for her):

Journal - 3 pages, first page is a color picture of the herb, others are mostly just space to write/draw so not much ink on those 2 pages.

Coloring page - there IS a "poster" that's a color picture, but I don't print that, so it's just one coloring page.

Recipes - there are 6 pages (1 recipe per pg), I usually don't print these, we just use them on the iPad.

Herbal Roots Zine - 20 pgs but I pick and choose the page I print, I probably end up printing about half of it.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
This looks awesome. I think I'll wait until ds2 is a little older, though, so they both get something out of it. It sounds like you get access for one year, right? I'd also love to know about having the books printed if anyone knows. Now how to remember this for next year or the year after....
It might have changed, when I got it (2 yrs ago), it was lifetime access. Even if it's not, it's all .pdfs and .mp3s so you could save it all off onto your hard drive to continue using it after the year.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (04-19-2014), JoyGal (04-19-2014), MrsDuck (04-19-2014), satin.mama (05-02-2014), tigerlily (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

this looks amazing!!! i wish i had more time to decide. i just decided not to spend anything but i'm feeling like i'm missing out on this.

how do you find the writing?? is it quality??
Old 04-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #18
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

so,you don't get actual books then?
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeyT View Post
this looks amazing!!! i wish i had more time to decide. i just decided not to spend anything but i'm feeling like i'm missing out on this.

Haven't ordered or read it yet, but several of the reviews seem positive about the writing. The fact that several people said their boys enjoyed them seems impressive to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout View Post
No. But you can read them on your computer, kindle, phone, or tablet. Or print them out and make an actual book.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeyT View Post

We listened to the audio version, which I think I'm probably less picky/critical of than if I were actually reading it, but I didn't have any issues with it. They're fun, kids' stories that manage to teach a TON about the herbs woven into a story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout View Post
You get a .pdf, ,mobi (Kindle) and (drawing a blank, but whatever nook, etc uses), and an .mp3 file of the author reading the book. The site also lists a "new option" to have books printed at cost, but I have no idea what that cost is, or what kind of quality the books are.

and
Lina, 9
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
SillyMommy (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #21
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

i bought it…there's a 30 day money back….so…

i've got 2 blossoming readers…so i hope with the mp3s this will work well for us right now. thanks for the info ladies! excited to get started…and it'll be a nice little add on to the little easter treats we got the girls.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to go ahead and get it, too. It sounds nice, and I'm going to write the 30 day deadline on the calendar, so I can return it if need be.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
HomeyT (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #23
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

we also just got it as well! Looks to be a lot of fun!

I also ordered the book...it was 7 dollars or 7.50, I cannot remember which. I will let you know about the quality when I get it.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #24
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

I love the idea of it! We might try next year.

Excited to see what everyone thinks!

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (04-30-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #25
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing for feedback after y'all get started this year. Might be a good fit for us in a year or so.

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

SillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I joined the HF fb group but I was wondering if y'all wanted to start one since we kinda "know" each other - or maybe we could have a monthly HF thread here to all share what we're doing?
and Mommy to R1 (12) T3, R2 (8.6) T4, R3 (6.9) T1 and R4 (13m)
PaperbackSwap | Goodreads

SillyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SillyMommy For This Useful Post:
HomeyT (04-20-2014), pirandellian (04-21-2014), sprout (04-20-2014), sweetpeas (04-20-2014), Thankfulforgrace (04-30-2014), tigerlily (04-20-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #27
pirandellian
Deactivated

on moderated status

pirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond repute

I convinced DH to get us signed up! I'm super excited. I've always wanted to learn more about herbs and using them and I think this will be a nice, slow introduction!
pirandellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #28
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We missed the sign-up (I wonder why it's so limited? ) but for anyone who likes games, Wildcraft is a cooperative board game that would go perfectly with this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Codi (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #29
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We missed the sign-up (I wonder why it's so limited? ) but for anyone who likes games, Wildcraft is a cooperative board game that would go perfectly with this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
I think one reason it's limited is because the books are written to be very season specific, but they're also a continued story, so it only "works" to start reading the series in the spring. I would guess it's also something of a "marketing ploy" . . . because it's only available for a few days, people are more likely to impulse buy it for fear of missing it, kwim?

And yes, Wildcraft goes PERFECTLY with it, it's from the same company We had Wildcraft for a year or two before we got Herb Fairies and it was great, because my one complaint with Wildcraft is it didn't give me enough information about HOW to use the various herbs, Herb Fairies adds that piece, at least for the herbs that are included in it

and
Lina, 9
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #30
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute

We also love Wildcraft.
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milkdud For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-21-2014)