Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Iveyrock
Rose Garden

Iveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Outdoor homeschooling

The weather has finally shifted here, and I anticipate us spending as much time outside as possible. I am brainstorming ways to prepare for that, both inside and out. I am thinking about things like a nature center in the laundry room (which has an outside door and a bathroom) with field guides and critter habitat type stuff.

I am also thinking about bins to take books and bare bones art supplies out, etc.

I am thinking about stuff to take in the car, so when we are at the park, or my family's woods, we have the basic stuff we would want.

We are pretty unschooley, and we do project work for the majority of our school. Chava's project *is* nature, so that should be easy But I probably need to figure out a way to help transition the other stuff to outside work. (the other kids are studying Titanic, and Ian just decided to switch to Great Mysteries, like Atlantis and the Loch Ness Monster.) So I am looking for ways to support outside time, as well as pull in other books/ideas, but not how to work in sit down school time.

Anything else? What do you guys do? I am in brainstorming mode, so the more thoughts (and pictures!) the better.

To... living with, living with, living with - not dying from disease! - Rent

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
— Terry Pratchett (Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms)
Iveyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iveyrock For This Useful Post:
deena (04-19-2014), HomeyT (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outdoor homeschooling

J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

I wish I had ideas but I don't. I'm watching and gleaning.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peaceful Meadows For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Watercolour pencil crayons!!! That way art and nature journals can be done outside, and you can always do the adding-water part of it when you get inside again.

Having a good pencil case for each kid with their basic supplies would be good. Ziploc bags for transporting specimens home? Rulers, magnifying glasses...

Rope? The better to build forts/bridges with?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
deena (04-19-2014), HomeyT (04-19-2014), Iveyrock (04-19-2014), nutmeg (04-18-2014), OnAMission (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

When we're outside, I usually just let them explore as they wish without any extra stuff. Sometimes we're lucky enough to have a dead animal of some kind in our yard so we get to investigate it, watch it decay, and talk about everything that spins off that.

My kids don't do well w/ "sit-down" work outside, but I know some kids are content to read books wherever they're comfy.

Sidewalk chalk - that's one thing that did work for us. Spelling words, math problems, etc. were more fun when done in chalk. Until we run out of room.
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cro For This Useful Post:
deena (04-19-2014), Iveyrock (04-19-2014), Johns_Gal (04-19-2014), OnAMission (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
nutmeg
Rose Bush

nutmeg is a glorious beacon of lightnutmeg is a glorious beacon of lightnutmeg is a glorious beacon of lightnutmeg is a glorious beacon of lightnutmeg is a glorious beacon of lightnutmeg is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have a space for comfy reading? Chairs, pillows, blankets in the grass etc
Some baskets or bins to hold books and supplies near the door would be great.
Maybe a picnic table set out there for art space if they need room to spread out.
Big girl K-7
Little girl C- 4
Baby E-1! What? Where did my newborn baby go!
nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nutmeg For This Useful Post:
deena (04-19-2014), Iveyrock (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my best memories were of homeschooling outside, enjoying the beautiful New England autumn. My kids were young though so it looked more like play. like pushing them on the swings I had this monologue that I went through with each push that they loved. I said, "we live at 121 Sesame Street in the town of Arlington in the county of Manchester in the state of Colorado in the country of USA on the continent of North America on the planet of earth in the galaxy of the Milky Way." (Fictional examples of course)

Also, one time I excitedly pointed out a falcon to the kids. A man driving by then told me it was a hawk.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (04-19-2014), Soliloquy (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Bbl

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
amanda1
Climbing Rose

amanda1 will become famous soon enough

Sometimes we just take our books and papers outside to the picnic table and do the same things we do indoors. But, its amazing how much your kids can find and observe on just a simple walk in the woods.
Devoted wife, dd#1 - 5/03, missing baby - 2/06, dd#2 - 2/07. I am truly blessed.
amanda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amanda1 For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I do readalouds at the park so the girls can move about while listening. We do narration after every chapter so I know they're still listening and often they remember more when we've been reading outside than when we're inside

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #11
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion is to invite other homeschooling friends over to enjoy your awesome outdoor space with you. You know, in the name of socialization and all that.
Iveyrock (04-19-2014), Quiteria (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

super awesome thread!!! we have a playhouse (well it's more like a mini house for the kids), it's 10x10 with a loft! lol! dh went a little overboard. but it's a great space for reading…and playing... i'm going to fully equip it with it's own art supplies, nature books etc, maybe we can grow some flowers in the windows. shelves for all their nature treasures.

we found these seed organizers which were little tins with clear lids in a case, the kids love to collect specimens and put them in there. especially bugs. ew.

a garden is a great space to explore!

we have a regular 'walk' we take on our property, through trees, water, and it's great to see it change throughout the seasons. we often take note of it in our minds.
deena (04-20-2014), Iveyrock (04-19-2014), OnAMission (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

A journal to draw pictures of and write about their discoveries.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Iveyrock (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Iveyrock
Rose Garden

Iveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid View Post
My suggestion is to invite other homeschooling friends over to enjoy your awesome outdoor space with you. You know, in the name of socialization and all that.
I'm pretty sure that's a crucial piece of the whole thing Did you see that we just got bee hives? And we have a hen sitting on eggs, and new chicks coming this week. Come see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
A journal to draw pictures of and write about their discoveries.
A couple of years ago we did a family nature journal, and that worked really well. I am trying to think of a good way to implement that again. In TX it was in our 'out and about' park stuff.

To... living with, living with, living with - not dying from disease! - Rent

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
— Terry Pratchett (Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms)
Iveyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iveyrock For This Useful Post:
DoulaClara (04-19-2014), Katydid (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

One year we did this as a project: http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife.aspx Oh my goodness, it was so much fun. We planted native plants, flowers to attract birds/bees/butterflies, made bird, toad, and bat houses. Made different types of bird and small critter feeders. Built a pond and a birdbath. We had such an amazing time taking pictures, documenting, learning about the animals we were helping, about habitats and the things we were doing. It was one of our best homeschooling memories.

Ds1 used to love to do spelling on the swings. He'd swing, I'd call out words, and he'd spell them while he pumped.

We played boardgames outside on the deck (Sum Swamp was his favorite).

He'd read in the playhouse part of the swing set. Sometimes I would pack him a lunch and he'd go up there with his sketchbook, or bird book and binoculars.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
bookworm-mama (04-19-2014), Iveyrock (04-19-2014), OnAMission (04-20-2014), ProudMommaof2 (04-21-2014), ReedleBeetle (04-19-2014), Soliloquy (04-19-2014), staceylayne (04-19-2014)