Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
titosmommy
Rose Bouquet

titosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Be still my fingers

I saw a couple different posts on facebook from people in our church regarding spanking and equating it with discipline. I so want to post a status about why "people" think discipline equals spanking. I won't because it's passive aggressive and if I'm going to address the issue I will do so in private. But I just have to get it out. Why do people think you must spank in order to discipline. It doesn't make sense. I'll admit, I've spanked before, but it's not because it's what I think is best, it's because I don't know what else to do. I'm growing my tool box so that I don't even know the last time I spanked, but I know that that reason is not a good one. I know it's not what I won't to do. I'm totally still growing in this GBD thing, and it's kind of funny how those posts probably wouldn't have bothered me a year ago, but now they make me so annoyed. Just had to get that out since I'm not ready to post that on facebook.
Amy (06-13-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be still my fingers

Yeah, usually that just stirs up more debate. I just post links and quotes on my wall that are very GBD and crunchy so people know where I stand. There have been a couple times I have posted and I usually regret getting into it, but I'm very non confrontational that way.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
titosmommy (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the whole "discipline=punishment" thing too.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-16-2012), Persinette (06-17-2012), titosmommy (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?"

StewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant future

In my neck of the woods people usually argue that the Bible says so

Over the past few years I've shared some things on fb at "neutral" times that have made it clear where I stand. But yeah, sometimes it is *so* hard not to get pulled into a debate.

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1
currently battling hemeralopia-induced blindness and chronic pain for the 3rd time

mama to five:
10.5yo DS (my serious T4)
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)
3.5yo DD (my precious T2)
one I will hold in heaven

StewardofLOs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StewardofLOs For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-13-2012), titosmommy (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
triscuit
Rosebud

triscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the roughtriscuit is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I saw some "that's what this country needs a good spankin'!!" the other day and I was like.... WHATTT? People still think that way?? It's crazy when you get a little bit "out there" on FB and see some stuff... ooo I just forget it's still actually like that, it's so sad
Remembering Lea 04W02D - Dec '11
& Baby J 06W4D - July '12
triscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to triscuit For This Useful Post:
titosmommy (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

It's really hard. I recently dipped my toe into a similar online conversation. I simply stated that I do not believe in spanking or punishment in general, point them to a few great books, secular and Christian, state that I won't engage in an online debate on the topic (but a personal message or conversation from an interested party is fine), then sum it up with something like:

"I have faith that any parent with the right tools is capable of solving the problem and teaching their child about loving others, themselves and God without the use of punishment. "
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
Christina+5 (06-14-2012), Little Forest (06-18-2012), titosmommy (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting me thinking...to discipline without spanking requires *discipline* form the parent. First we must discipline ourselves.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mwwr For This Useful Post:
Christina+5 (06-14-2012), cro (06-11-2012), dulce de leche (06-11-2012), Hermana Linda (06-11-2012), rjy9343 (06-11-2012), Rugayatu (06-13-2012), ruhama (06-11-2012), Shutterbug (06-13-2012), StewardofLOs (06-11-2012), SweetCaroline (06-18-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-16-2012), titosmommy (06-11-2012), Zooey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwr View Post
This is getting me thinking...to discipline without spanking requires *discipline* form the parent. First we must discipline ourselves.
, and the more I solve my own issues, the more clarity and patience I have to guide my own children. I know there are a lot of us on this board that are literally re-raising ourselves out of the desire to do things differently for our children. It's a journey worth making
Carmen (06-14-2012), danou (06-13-2012), Elyse221 (06-12-2012), Llee (06-18-2012), Rugayatu (06-13-2012), StewardofLOs (06-11-2012), SweetCaroline (06-18-2012), UltraMother (06-16-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's why I signed up for Celebrate Calm in my news feed. This is a big thing for them.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (06-11-2012), BarefootBetsy (06-16-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
, and the more I solve my own issues, the more clarity and patience I have to guide my own children. I know there are a lot of us on this board that are literally re-raising ourselves out of the desire to do things differently for our children. It's a journey worth making
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. My big 'aha' moment was when I realized *I* needed more self-control if I wanted to be more patient with my child. I really was overwhelmed by what a huge leap in maturity that would take, but deeply comforted that I had a heavenly father to hold my hand along the way. We're still hiking that trail!
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (06-16-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Amahoro
Climbing Rose

Amahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
That's why I signed up for Celebrate Calm in my news feed. This is a big thing for them.
I LOVE that I have Celebrate Calm in my newsfeed - it really helps me nurture discipline in my own life...
Amahoro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amahoro For This Useful Post:
tigerlily (06-12-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Rugayatu
Climbing Rose

Rugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond repute

I have a hard time not responding to posts like that too. I often will give a short sentence about what we do in our family and then say I don't want to debate on FB but I'm happy to talk about it further via PM with anyone who's interested. Saying something grace-full though instead of sarcastic is often very hard for me! I think (hope!) I'm getting better at it.

I just liked Celebrate Calm - thanks for the recommendation! Never heard of them before. Another mama here working on re-parenting myself so I can be a better mom to my DD!
mama to sweet and spunky DD ~ 9/2/09
squishy and serene DS ~ 1/12/14
and my angel baby ~ 1/8/2008

"The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action."
~Mother Theresa
Rugayatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That really is key - not seeing ourselves as these perfect being who must bend our children to our will, but imperfect people who need to model self-control and self-discipline AND honest and humble remorse when our human fraility causes us to sin. Ds and I are having issus right now and I have to remember to work on this aspect of 'teaching and growing' more right now than when he was tiny.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
SubarbanHippie

This post is quite timely. It seems as if this past week was "spanking glorification" week on FB. I had no less than three pro-spanking and "spanking is biblical discipline!" posts on my wall. I left polite, disagreeing comments under two of them. One of the others I didn't dare, as the woman is quite surly and her husband works with my father. What are ya gonna do?