Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #31
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: June Dinners

I wonder if the meatballs would be good without the feta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #32
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Today is Littlest's birthday, so I've been asking her what she wants to eat for dinner. Her response?
"Cake!"
"How about something for dinner? Can you pick something healthy?"
"I want ice cream and marshmallows and fwosting. Dat's what I want."

I tried all the usual things she'll eat (she's rather picky) and let the other girls weigh in. They decided on cheeseburgers and a salad. Littlest will probably eat some cheeseburger.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-08-2017), milkmommy (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I wonder if the meatballs would be good without the feta?

We adore feta so I haven't made them without it, but they are really flavorful with the red wine vinegar and seasonings. I think you should try it! And then let me know what you think.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #34
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Our local grocery had a "Buy theirs, get ours for free" sale throughout the summer. So in today's sale, if you buy Applegate grass fed beef hot dogs, you get store brand grass fed beef hot dogs for free. Since the boys finished up swim class today, we're celebrating with hot dogs and hamburgers.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
We adore feta so I haven't made them without it, but they are really flavorful with the red wine vinegar and seasonings. I think you should try it! And then let me know what you think.

We can't do red wine vinegar either Sulfite allergy. But I'm still going to try them!

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #35
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

We can't do red wine vinegar either Sulfite allergy. But I'm still going to try them!

How about lemon? Lemon, garlic, and oregano are classic Greek flavors. I'd add a bit more salt, too if you leave out the feta. The cheese will add a little bit of moisture as well, so you might want to compensate for that as well. (I add flax meal or grated or pureed veggies to meatballs to keep them from drying out. The breadcrumbs in Italian meatballs is what keeps them soft and moist. Low carb versions can be dry.)

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-08-2017), charla (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #36
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

I often use egg and almond meal.

The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (06-09-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #37
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday was gf oven fried chicken with green beans and baked sweet potatos.

Today paprika roasted tempeh with Brussels sprouts onion and peppers
Gf chicken nuggets for Margaret.
bananacake (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #38
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Oh yes! Meatballs and meatloaf are SO forgiving! I don't even follow a recipe -- just add whatever I feel like it on a whim and it always turns out delicious. I mean, there are some basic rules but it's generally just a improv thing. I'm lucky tho because my whole family LOVES meatloaf and meatballs. So it's hard to go wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (06-09-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #39
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

We usually use 85% lean ground beef that is grassfed. That's also forgiving We LOVE the Thai meatballs I've mentioned several times.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (06-08-2017), milkmommy (06-08-2017), ViolaMum (06-09-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #40
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I think a little grated zucchini in the meatballs would be fabulous to add some moisture in place of the feta. I love the lemon idea. I might try that next time I make them.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-08-2017), ViolaMum (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #41
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was tilapia cooked in the grill pan and winter blend veggies.

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #42
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Oh yes! Meatballs and meatloaf are SO forgiving! I don't even follow a recipe -- just add whatever I feel like it on a whim and it always turns out delicious. I mean, there are some basic rules but it's generally just a improv thing. I'm lucky tho because my whole family LOVES meatloaf and meatballs. So it's hard to go wrong.
Absolutely! The only meatballs I've made that haven't turned out well were the batch I made a couple of weeks ago. I jumped on the trend of using sausage - used a lean turkey sausage and cooked everything in the crockpot. The tomato sauce was fantastic, but the meatballs turned out tough. The kids liked them, so but I'm definitely going to tweak the recipe next time. (I think all the fat in the sausage ended up in the sauce.)

Quote:
We usually use 85% lean ground beef that is grassfed. That's also forgiving We LOVE the Thai meatballs I've mentioned several times.

That'll do it. Fat is flavor!

It's funny, how pretty much every culture has a traditional meatball of some sort. Those Thai meatballs look great I've gotta try them. My mom's family (Scandinavian) makes Swedish meatballs, my dad's family makes Italian polpette that are half bread, then there's Egyptian Kofta, Mediterranean lamb meatballs, the Japanese have a version that I forget the name of. I've even seen some made with fish. I'll bet if we all put our heads together we could come up with a month's worth - different flavors for each day!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #43
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

My boyfriend and I are having sushi tonight with an old friend of his who is in town visiting

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #44
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Last night we had spicy shrimp tacos with garlic cilantro lime slaw with a mexican salad. I also made a fresh strawberry cake for dessert (but halved the recipe and just made one layer).
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
Virginia (06-13-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #45
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I only had half my family home for dinner tonight so we did simple. Meatball subs with fruit salad and raw veggies and dip for dinner.