Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
ilovewest
Climbing Rose

*Pretend you're reading something really witty here.*

ilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today's sermon = ICKY ICKY ICKY

Thanks Mamas <3

We have decided to speak with the Sr. Pastor next week. It's something we had actually talked about doing before all this, just to get a better feel for what he and the church were like and see what service roles they played in the surrounding community. The kids ministry is rad, and the other 3 sermons have been great too, so I think its worth it to see if this is something that this church teaches or if this past Sundays sermon was just this particular pastors take. I'm honestly not holding my breath for us to find out anything too pleasing, though; thats my gut feeling.

Now I'm off to really get my info together on exactly WHY the punitive, pro-spanking approach is unbiblical. I'm not going into this conversation with my anti-spanking guns blazing, but id like to have more than, 'The sermon about spanking made me uncomfortable' on hand. Anyone who might be able to point me in a good direction would be much appreciated!

Again, thank you! So nice to be able to come here and have your support and help in getting the proper perspective on this.

Happy and Tired Mimi to
Noodle 11.08
Bingo 11.11
and Tiny, 2.14

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.
-- Leonard Cohen

ENsomething-something....ish
OK, FINE. ENFP/J
ilovewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
Starfish
Rose Bouquet

Starfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant future

AArrgg! David was called a man after God's own heart WAY before the Bathsheba incident, when God privately had him anointed as king when he was a teen. And he did a bunch of other sinful stuff throughout his life and no punishment from God is recorded with those stories. Sounds like the pastor thought "I want to preach on spanking...hmm, what story can I use/twist to fit my topic?"

If you look at how Jesus discipled his disciples, you never see him using punitive measures in any form.

INFP~Type 2~Middle Child~Shoe size 8.5
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
ilovewest
Climbing Rose

*Pretend you're reading something really witty here.*

ilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond repute

I know!!! I just wanted to scream, "DUDE! WE ALL HAVE BIBLES, AND MOST OF US KNOW THIS STORY WELL ENOUGGH TO NOT EVEN HAVE TO GO LOOK AT IT TO KNOW YOU'RE GETTING IT WRONG, DON'T YOU?????"

I think this is the main reason I'm not terribly hopeful about our talk with the Sr. pastor...... Who knows what else he'll twist.....

Happy and Tired Mimi to
Noodle 11.08
Bingo 11.11
and Tiny, 2.14

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.
-- Leonard Cohen

ENsomething-something....ish
OK, FINE. ENFP/J
ilovewest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovewest For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (07-09-2012), Zooey (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that this associate pastor was just off of what that church actually believes.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-11-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewest View Post
... Anyone who might be able to point me in a good direction would be much appreciated!
The Rod Study
Is Spanking Biblical?
Spanking Is NOT God's Will
Why Not Train a Child?

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (07-11-2012), ilovewest (07-11-2012), Johns_Gal (07-12-2012), Mokek Kwe (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
Mokek Kwe
Deactivated

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Mokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond reputeMokek Kwe has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, um... I'd just leave. Crazy people.
Mokek Kwe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mokek Kwe For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-11-2012), Johns_Gal (07-12-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3K View Post
I wouldn't even bother. I'd just leave. When asked (if asked) I'd be honest , "I'm coming from a completely different place spiritually speaking. I'm not comfortable with the punitive sermons."
This.
Especially since the man clearly doesn't even know the Scripture he's misusing.
ilovewest (07-11-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #23
CJNeeley
Rose Bush

CJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityMamaOf2 View Post
Well, realistically, on the one hand, you are right that you aren't going to find a church where every single person exactly lines up with your method of parenting. You say that they have a good program for the kids, and it would be sad if you travel from church to church to find one that matches up with your parenting ideals but may not have a very good program for the kids.

On the other hand, I understand your wanting to protect your child from punitive influences, so it might be worth talking to this morning's speaker on the issue.

At the end of the day, your child is your child and you are free to parent in whatever fashion you think is best.
But can you count on it truly being a good program for the children if this punitive trend is pervasive enough within the church that a sermon like that was tolerated? What might they be exposed to in an attempt to groom them to fall into this line of submission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
Because this is the associate pastor and the others are so great--and the rest of the church seems such a potentially good fit, I would try to make an appointment with the Sr. Pastor to discuss this. It's quite possible he didn't even know what the assoc. pastor would be speaking on.

At the very least, you will know if there is potential or not
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
It might be worth a letter or meeting to tell the pastor (senior pastor) what things initially drew you to the church and what is now driving you away. And if I were feeling really brave, I'd probably ask if the senior pastor was aware of the sermon content prior to the service. That might help in decision making about staying.
And, this is just a personal opinion, I'm really not sure that David and Bathsheba thing readily relates to parenting styles/choices.

These are very fair points, but in my experience associate pastors rarely have free reign. I would imagine it's more probable he at least knew the topic he was planning on addressing... he may not agree with the approach or everything that was said but I suspect it's very unlikely he didn't know, at least to some degree, what was coming in the sermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewest View Post
I know!!! I just wanted to scream, "DUDE! WE ALL HAVE BIBLES, AND MOST OF US KNOW THIS STORY WELL ENOUGGH TO NOT EVEN HAVE TO GO LOOK AT IT TO KNOW YOU'RE GETTING IT WRONG, DON'T YOU?????"

I think this is the main reason I'm not terribly hopeful about our talk with the Sr. pastor...... Who knows what else he'll twist.....
This is the biggest thing that is off putting... he was not above blatantly twisting the word of God to sell his opinion. Can you settle and be comfortable in a church where the staff doesn't hold the word of God holy enough to not re-write at whim to prove a point they want to make?

Conflicting opinions will happen... occasional bizarre interpretations of what things mean will happen... but for someone who's spent a lifetime in-depthly studying the bible and still can't get a common story close enough to right that you don't want to scream that that's not even what it says, that is pretty disconcerting. You won't agree with every sermon preached any more than you agree with every word another person (who's not a pastor) says. That's okay and that doesn't mean a church is a bad fit. Re-writing scripture and attempting to divine God's thought processes and intents are a dangerously inappropriate slope... even more so when they are massively shared and hence have the ability to mislead a large number of people along the same slippery slope of presuming to know God's mindset.

Perhaps your eyes were more acutely opened because of the topic... but I think for me, it would be eclipsed by the approach. It's like watching someone swat mosquitoes with a saw, not only frighteningly dangerous but not something you ever want to become so familiar with you see it as normal either. For my mind, the most important point of a church is whether they teach correct biblical doctrine. Everything else is secondary. It is through the Spirit using the Word is how people are transformed. That is why Scripture states that the "Word is living and powerful." Churches maybe lacking this or that, but they have no chance of changing if the Word is not being proclaimed and taught. Churches are no more than sinners saved by grace so all churches will have imperfection... but their faithfulness to God's Word will ultimately make those imperfections more negligible. A lack of that faithfulness should be as piercing a sound as an alarm... warning you to find safer ground.

I'd talk to the head pastor if I felt reluctance to just up and leave... but I'd be thanking God for showing me this side before my roots grew so deep I'd be too wounded to thrive as a transplant elsewhere. Sometimes God calls us to places that we adore and feel fed from and that we really feel are helping us grow, and sometimes he calls us to places where we are meant to plant or stir things within them to evoke change... if you still feel a lingering tug to leave after talking with the head pastor (even if it seemed to go well), I'd pray over it and ask God if you are meant to leave.
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJNeeley For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-14-2012), Zooey (07-14-2012)