Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute
Question So why is it...

... That there are so many legalistic, punitive books out there on how to raise your kids - especially in the Christian community? (Although DH points out that similar philosophies can be found in Islamic and Bhuddist teachings.)

Why do so many parents accept the advice? What deep need are parents trying to fulfill by reading/applying the information in these books?

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Serendipity
Deactivated

GCM, thanks for the memories.

Serendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So why is it...

Good question.
Posted via Mobile Device
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Perfection. Getting it "Right". Godliness- (see perfection.) At least, that's what I'm trying to do, I'm just trying to do it AP style. We have to come to the hard realization that we aren't perfect. And that life is messy.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Herbwifemama For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (03-15-2010), Blue-EyedLady (03-15-2010), CrunchySeaSalt (03-15-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-17-2010), klpmommy (03-17-2010), momyshaver (03-18-2010), Two Little Birds (03-17-2010), Zooey (03-17-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

I dont know but it is so sad!

Your dh has found that kind of philosophy toward children in Buddhist teachings?! I am really surprised!

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you asked for my opinion...

Because of sin.

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
amyhntr2 (03-16-2010), Blue-EyedLady (03-15-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-17-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), momyshaver (03-18-2010), Quiteria (03-15-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-15-2010), Two Little Birds (03-15-2010), Zooey (03-17-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

It is easier to take what feels like practical advice (do this, don't do this, let them do x, but not y) than to set down to the real work of relationship parenting and the abstract idea of 'living out your faith'. We are in some ways about check lists and authoritian answers. Non-legalistic parenting requires us to grow, requires us to sacrific, requires us to be so involved in a relationship that we can see the other persons point of view - even if we need help from parents further along the jouney to talk us through our fine tuning process.

What legalistic parenting can never duplicate or replace is the powerful blessing that is being able to teach your child by example what it means to follow Christ to the best of your ability in all parts of your life.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (03-15-2010), Blue-EyedLady (03-15-2010), klpmommy (03-17-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), momyshaver (03-18-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-15-2010), tempestjewel (03-16-2010), Two Little Birds (03-17-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
I dont know but it is so sad!

Your dh has found that kind of philosophy toward children in Buddhist teachings?! I am really surprised!
DH's experience is with Cambodian Buddhism (3 missions trips there), if that makes a difference. And the philosophy is less of a legalistic one, but more like relegating children to a 2nd class citizenship, and therefore vulnerable to abuse. I see many of the Pearl/Gothard philosophies leading to a similar attitude - children are little heathens and so are 2nd class citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBlue View Post
Well, you asked for my opinion...

Because of sin.

Well, yeah, of course it's because of sin... That's not really the answer I was looking for, though...

So why does the Christian community train us to stop thinking? Shouldn't Christians be the very ones encouraging others to think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins View Post
It is easier to take what feels like practical advice (do this, don't do this, let them do x, but not y) than to set down to the real work of relationship parenting and the abstract idea of 'living out your faith'. We are in some ways about check lists and authoritian answers. Non-legalistic parenting requires us to grow, requires us to sacrific, requires us to be so involved in a relationship that we can see the other persons point of view - even if we need help from parents further along the jouney to talk us through our fine tuning process.

What legalistic parenting can never duplicate or replace is the powerful blessing that is being able to teach your child by example what it means to follow Christ to the best of your ability in all parts of your life.
Excellent points. Legalistic parenting is certainly easier than thinking through every little thing. And the fact that you have to admit that you haven't "arrived" but are still growing in your own relationship with Christ is tough, especially for anyone who struggles with perfectionism.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
So why does the Christian community train us to stop thinking? Shouldn't Christians be the very ones encouraging others to think?
Big picture church history: power. Knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption needs props. Keep knowledge away from your underlings, so that they can't gain power for themselves (and take it from you...) and you'll keep your life of ease... I'm not sure, even with Reformation, Schisms, and Protestants, translations, denominations and theologies that we're any closer to teaching the freedom of the gospel. We're definitely getting better at the illusion of it, though.

We should be the ones encouraging others to think! TRUTH should be able to withstand any scrutiny, right?

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Two Little Birds
Deactivated

"Knitting is Mama's job"

Location: Where the wind blows, the snow flies and mere mortals can't breathe
Two Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is such a fear of not raising godly children that "we" put rules and regulations and think that if "we" can control our children then it will be easy peasy. And "we" will look like "good" Christians if our children are behaving and are controlled.
Two Little Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Two Little Birds For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (03-15-2010), klpmommy (03-17-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-17-2010), Zooey (03-17-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

All legalism stems from a desire to have control. If I do xyz so that in return God will love me, I am in control of what God does. If I parent according to xyz so that my children will be xyz, I am in control of who my children become. There's no rest or peace in that control, no joy or contentment. It's a constant fight.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (03-17-2010), Two Little Birds (03-16-2010), Zooey (03-17-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Waterlogged
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

grace is for mamas too

Waterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond repute

I think....(and I'm not normally like this)....that it's Satan's work.

CS Lewis does such a great job in Screwtape Letters trying to "get in" at Satan's mind. I think many of the points Lewis makes about different areas of Christianity could be applied to Christian parenting...

....make parents think they have control, in order to turn them away from God....

....use parents to demonstrate violence and hate, in order to turn kids away from God....

....use parents to turn others away from God, by "parenting" in God's name....

....use the fear of the world to keep their kids insulated, so that the spread of Christianity can be slowed/stopped.....

I honestly think that the majority of punitive Christian parents are deceived.
Waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Waterlogged For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-17-2010), CelticJourney (03-17-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-17-2010), Herbwifemama (03-16-2010), joyousTXmama (03-17-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), mommasgirl (03-18-2010), momyshaver (03-18-2010), Rabbit (03-16-2010), Two Little Birds (03-17-2010), Zooey (03-17-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
boobymummy

Well first of all, it is based on assumptions. We assume that spanking is in the bible because "all" christians believe that, and are hence suspicious and even closed to testing their beliefs in this area. A herd mentality.

It fits in with our desire to have control.

It appeals to our sinfulness and sanctions outbursts of wrath.

It provides a "solution"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (03-18-2010), Two Little Birds (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

Along with the other reasons, the one I see the most often is pride. The more control we have, the better we look on the outside, the more 'together' our family seems, the more accolades we get from other humans. Rather than getting our worth from Jesus, we are searching for it from fellow man. And the way to get it from man is to 'look better'. Part of that is total control over children, since punitive parents take full responsibility for the choices their children make. Every single punitive parent I know is looking for acceptance from someone. And I think THAT comes from being punitively parented themselves, they are seeking the power/control that was taken from them as children.

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommy2abigail For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (03-17-2010), Two Little Birds (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmom View Post
I think there is such a fear of not raising godly children that "we" put rules and regulations and think that if "we" can control our children then it will be easy peasy. And "we" will look like "good" Christians if our children are behaving and are controlled.

I think that we look too much to the outward when judging another's Christianity (I mean we in the loose sense of the word, not the ladies here at gcm). So if someone has "wild" children then surely they aren't walking the walk. Perfect parents don't have kids with addiction problems or daughters that get pregnant as teens. Good Christians don't have tattoos or weird piercings or dye their hair pink. There is a box that is kind of the standard Christian look and the way our kids behave is a part of that box.

I don't think I'm saying what I'm thinking. Or at least I'm not saying it clearly. But ashermom said a lot of what I'm trying to say, so I'll stop here.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
BlessedBlue (03-17-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-17-2010), Two Little Birds (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosanne View Post
I think....(and I'm not normally like this)....that it's Satan's work.

CS Lewis does such a great job in Screwtape Letters trying to "get in" at Satan's mind. I think many of the points Lewis makes about different areas of Christianity could be applied to Christian parenting...

....make parents think they have control, in order to turn them away from God....

....use parents to demonstrate violence and hate, in order to turn kids away from God....

....use parents to turn others away from God, by "parenting" in God's name....

....use the fear of the world to keep their kids insulated, so that the spread of Christianity can be slowed/stopped.....

I honestly think that the majority of punitive Christian parents are deceived.

I agree. Especially with your last sentence, which I think is a big, big, problem. More so right now, because we have all these "gurus" offering "the perfect child IF you do as I say".
Zooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zooey For This Useful Post:
Two Little Birds (03-17-2010)