Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you made yogurt in your Instant Pot?

Our local grocery store only had 1 quart left of the plain yogurt my kids like when I went shopping yesterday. I'm taking this as a sign to finally try IP yogurt.

Any tips? I watched a few youtube videos last night and read a blog post. It seems fairly straight forward but I'm intimidated lol. (I made yogurt in the crockpot once several years ago, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you made yogurt in your Instant Pot?

yes

once

I've made it many times with this recipe though

I can't remember how I did it in the IP!

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10...made-yogurt-2/
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I have made it quite a few times, using this recipe. https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/2/

The biggest issue I usually have is getting the milk up to temperature - it needs to be 180 degrees. I end up using the boil cycle several times, and if three times doesn't work, I put it on saute and stir with a whisk until it gets to temperature. Once it reaches temperature, you have to let it cool to 110, and then add your starter. After that, it's just incubating it on the yogurt setting for 8-10 hours. The longer it incubates, the more tart it will be. Once it is incubated, you need to let it sit in the fridge to completely set up for another 8 hours or so. At that point, it should be good to eat straight, or you can strain it. I have had it both ways, but I prefer to strain it.
Lady Grey (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousmomma View Post
I have made it quite a few times, using this recipe. https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/2/

The biggest issue I usually have is getting the milk up to temperature - it needs to be 180 degrees. I end up using the boil cycle several times, and if three times doesn't work, I put it on saute and stir with a whisk until it gets to temperature. Once it reaches temperature, you have to let it cool to 110, and then add your starter. After that, it's just incubating it on the yogurt setting for 8-10 hours. The longer it incubates, the more tart it will be. Once it is incubated, you need to let it sit in the fridge to completely set up for another 8 hours or so. At that point, it should be good to eat straight, or you can strain it. I have had it both ways, but I prefer to strain it.
Do you think it's necessary to heat to that temp if you're buying pasturized milk? I don't.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I would think to get it to set up you would need to get it to the posted heated temperature.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
I would think to get it to set up you would need to get it to the posted heated temperature.
I have made it without heating to 180. Turned out fine. Quick google search:

http://www.nwedible.com/do-you-need-...yogurt-making/
Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

I make 4L every week!
It doesn't actually get it up to 180..... closer to 170, so I "saute" the last little bit to get it up to temp.
Getting it up that hot helps denature the proteins. I've made it both ways, and it's definitely thicker when you get it up to 189, first.

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (11-06-2017), Llee (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never done it in the IP but I've made lots of raw milk yogurt. The main benefit to heating to 180 is consistency. If you want a thinner consistency, don't heat it that high. If you want it thicker, you have to heat to 180°
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently making it in my IP right now.

I heat milk to 180, let it cool, and mix in starter. I save some whey from each batch and freeze it to use as my starter for the next round (I strain the yogurt - it's super thick like greek yogurt)
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't made it, nor do I have an IP, but a friend makes yogurt in her IP. A couple weeks ago her yogurt tasted like onion. Turns out she had made soup, and then yogurt in her IP. I think she decided she needed a special seal just for the yogurt, or at the very least, be sure you clean the seal really well if you are mixing flavors!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (11-06-2017), squiddles (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #11
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I have three rings for my IP, one for savoury items, one for yogurt, and a spare. I keep them very separate You can kill the smell by sitting the ring in the sun for a few hours. You know, like cloth diapers.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
esperanza (11-06-2017), Lady Grey (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Me, me!!! I just did this last night. I don't have the yogurt button so I did everything manually. Nerd alert in spoiler.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-07-2017), Lady Grey (11-06-2017), Llee (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I got a batch going this morning! I stirred a couple of times during the boil and it was right at 180 when it finished.
graciousmomma (11-07-2017), mommychem (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommychem View Post
Me, me!!! I just did this last night. I don't have the yogurt button so I did everything manually. Nerd alert in spoiler.

You would actually be horrified at my fermenting habits then

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-07-2017), mommychem (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

For those that use the instant pot, how do you store the yoghurt? The one time i did it I just put the pot in the fridge and of course that meant no cooking until the yogurt was eaten lol
I always just made my yogurt on the stove and had it set up in quart jars. It seems less simple (messy?) to transfer the yogurt into another container after its set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote