Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help! I stink at decorating!

DH and I just bought a new townhome and it's the first time I'll really be able to decorate because we are not renting...

But I really stink at decorating! I have no artistic vision, no eye for design, and no defined sense of style. I like tons of different styles, basically.

Here are some pictures of our small entryway and of our breakfast nook/living room area. Ideas?

We are eventually getting all new furniture except we already have this Target entertainment center (could I paint this...?).

Help me brainstorm? Send me pins? Live vicariously through me? How can I make it kid/baby friendly, since our first little one is joining us in August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (05-04-2018)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I stink at decorating!

Congratulations on the new home and especially the baby!

I love decorating. To start I would put matching roman blinds on the entrance window and french doors. Then co-ordinating or matching full length panels on the sides of the eating nook window.

Overall it is scale that you will want to consider. You wouldn't want a huge sofa in your living room area, but something with small arms and not too deep. Also, the shapes of furniture should match the space. For example, if the eating nook is square, it would suit a square or round table, centred under the light fixture. If the space is rectangular it would suit a rectangular or oval table.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (05-04-2018), PrincessAnika (04-16-2017), Quiteria (04-16-2017), TraceMama (04-02-2018), Virginia (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I can see in the entryway, a thin console table along the long wall with either a mirror or a piece of art introducing the colors of the house along with a lamp, a dish to hold keys and mail, and a runner rug. Maybe in the corner by front windows, a hall tree to catch jackets and hats.

I adore Joanna Gaines country farmhouse design. What do you think of it? Or are you more modern?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (04-16-2017), squiddles (04-17-2017), TraceMama (04-02-2018), Virginia (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
I can see in the entryway, a thin console table along the long wall with either a mirror or a piece of art introducing the colors of the house along with a lamp, a dish to hold keys and mail, and a runner rug. Maybe in the corner by front windows, a hall tree to catch jackets and hats.

I adore Joanna Gaines country farmhouse design. What do you think of it? Or are you more modern?

I LOVE Joanna Gaines We actually went to Magnolia Market over spring break and I have a cute yellow vase from her store to put...somewhere in our house... haha

Hall tree is a brilliant idea.
Thin console table would be awesome, too Thank you!!!

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
Congratulations on the new home and especially the baby!

I love decorating. To start I would put matching roman blinds on the entrance window and french doors. Then co-ordinating or matching full length panels on the sides of the eating nook window.

Overall it is scale that you will want to consider. You wouldn't want a huge sofa in your living room area, but something with small arms and not too deep. Also, the shapes of furniture should match the space. For example, if the eating nook is square, it would suit a square or round table, centred under the light fixture. If the space is rectangular it would suit a rectangular or oval table.

We hadn't considered roman blinds, so thank you for that suggestion!!
When you say "panels," you mean curtains, yes?

We have a circular glass table with four chairs that we are planning to put in the nook, which is square. Do I need a rug under the table/chairs...?

Right now we have a small tan suede sofa and no other seating. No ottomans. No coffee tables. Nothing

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to paint?

Will a bench seat or old pastors type bench work in the entry? Cute baskets under for shoes and such?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

I mean for under the window.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

https://www.birchlane.com/Zipcode-De...FU6CfgodeXsG4g

Like this maybe
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPies View Post
Are you going to paint?

Will a bench seat or old pastors type bench work in the entry? Cute baskets under for shoes and such?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

I mean for under the window.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

https://www.birchlane.com/Zipcode-De...FU6CfgodeXsG4g

Like this maybe

Oh that's cute. I like the bench a lot!! Thank you!!

The builders told us to wait a year to paint. It may void the one-year warranty we have with them or something? I can't remember.

So I doubt we will paint right now

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 04-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Then look for colorful art work! Have you looked at the whole house color scheme plans? You basically pick a handful of colors that look great together and use those throughout, maybe highlighting a color in each room/area. I had one friend who actually planned her whole house around one shower curtain bc she loved the colors so much.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
squiddles (04-17-2017), Virginia (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPies View Post
Then look for colorful art work! Have you looked at the whole house color scheme plans? You basically pick a handful of colors that look great together and use those throughout, maybe highlighting a color in each room/area. I had one friend who actually planned her whole house around one shower curtain bc she loved the colors so much.

Based on what I have so far, I'll probably do blue, red, yellow, gray. It sounds like a lot, but it works, I think?

Our bedroom is blue and gray. I have a red kitchen aid mixer, so I have tended to incorporate red in the kitchen. I want to do yellow and gray in the powder room downstairs.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
charla (04-16-2017), ECingMama (04-16-2017), mamacat (04-01-2018), PrincessAnika (04-16-2017), TraceMama (04-02-2018), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-23-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

That totally works!!!
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite window covering are curtains with the large holes at the top. They are super easy to open and close; no cords to hurt kids. I HATE mini blinds with a burning passion. They get dusty and dirty. I can just take my curtains off and wash them. I can change the look of a room with new curtains.

Black out curtains are important in your baby's room (my kids don't sleep in their own room at night before 6 months, but you may be on a different timeline).

This kind of hole.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-N...d=actual_color
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (04-16-2017), Virginia (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

I would not do a rug under the table if you are going to eat there.
Possibly one down the hall entry though, or at least something to wipe feet on when coming in, and a rack or bench if you are shoes off in the house (to store shoes). Maybe some family pics in the hallway that can be changed out, and do similar frames, to match or coordinate with any other furniture (table etc). Can also do artsy prints if you like or a mirror might help it look bigger in the space.

Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-17-2017), squiddles (04-17-2017), Virginia (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
My favorite window covering are curtains with the large holes at the top. They are super easy to open and close; no cords to hurt kids. I HATE mini blinds with a burning passion. They get dusty and dirty. I can just take my curtains off and wash them. I can change the look of a room with new curtains.

Black out curtains are important in your baby's room (my kids don't sleep in their own room at night before 6 months, but you may be on a different timeline).

This kind of hole.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-N...d=actual_color

I hate mini blinds, too, but we were thinking about doing faux wood blinds in most of the rooms instead of vinyl. Mostly because our cat ruins vinyl ones.

Black out curtains, yes- good looking out!!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAnika View Post
I would not do a rug under the table if you are going to eat there.
Possibly one down the hall entry though, or at least something to wipe feet on when coming in, and a rack or bench if you are shoes off in the house (to store shoes). Maybe some family pics in the hallway that can be changed out, and do similar frames, to match or coordinate with any other furniture (table etc). Can also do artsy prints if you like or a mirror might help it look bigger in the space.

We don't eat at the table a ton... I would like to get better about that, though. We were thinking of doing a cheap rug or a patio rug that is durable and could possibly even be rinsed with a hose if it got dirty

I think a runner is a good idea for sure.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

I suck at decorating too! But, I did just redo my living room a year ago!

Do you have an Ikea near you? I LOVE their sofas and chairs with removable covers (ektorp or something like that). Perfect when you have little ones, unzip and wash. Tired of the color, go to Ikea and buy a different cover. Very reasonably priced, too. And mine has held up really well. I like it so much more than my $1200 lazy boy couch that the covers don't come off of and now looks worn.
squiddles (04-17-2017), Virginia (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I suck at decorating too! But, I did just redo my living room a year ago!

Do you have an Ikea near you? I LOVE their sofas and chairs with removable covers (ektorp or something like that). Perfect when you have little ones, unzip and wash. Tired of the color, go to Ikea and buy a different cover. Very reasonably priced, too. And mine has held up really well. I like it so much more than my $1200 lazy boy couch that the covers don't come off of and now looks worn.

We do have one that's about two hour away. Totally doable this summer!

Going to surf their website now... thank you for the suggestion!!

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
squiddles (04-17-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, if *you* like faux wood blinds, go for it!

I think they are just as much work (dust) as regular blinds. I like my windows *open* (nothing blocking the view) or *closed* (curtains). I am also super "lazy" in that I've tried other types of curtains. (tie backs, etc). It feels like too much "work" to open them when they are more than, "tug and open." "Tug and closed."

I rarely opened blinds when we lived in places that had them. I didn't want to look through the slats, and I like them to hang perfectly evenly if they are going to be pulled up and open. They rarely do, so I just left them closed and lived in a cave....which causes sun-deprivation depression for me. People who do not live in sunny places-even during winter-probably do not relate. I am very spoiled where I live!

We have 33 windows. I have curtains on all of them....and nothing else. Open or closed. Sun or no sun. View or no view. The basement windows came with blinds. I hate them. They are also covered with curtains.

We also hired someone to hang all 33 curtain rods. My marriage couldn't handle the stress of even that simple level of handy work!

My dream non-curtain window covering is those cloth blinds that open from the bottom and the top. Swoon. A relative has them.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-16-2017)