Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has Dobson ever said...

the parent relationship is more important than the kids? (Or not to let the kids interfere with the parents' relationship)?

My next myth-buster on Dare to Disciple is going to be this issue, and since it's supposed to be a Dobson-examining site, I thought I'd see if this was a 'thing' of his. I know the Ezzos say it because a GKGW acquaintance of mine brought it up once, but it's a fairly common thing around churches so I wondered if Dobson says it, too. I had a little look around the FOTF website and couldn't see any sign of it...

TIA
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Dobson ever said...

I haven't heard it from Dobson or any Dobsonites back in the day, but I can see how the same group of people today would easily latch onto such a statement. There are a huge number of kids growing up in single parent homes today.

It's fine to tackle and will show your fairness toward Dobson if you recognize it as not "his".

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (03-26-2011), KSL (03-26-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Cook
Rose Bush

Cook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm.... I'm not sure. All his books are now packed away in my basement somewhere. I was trying to find it on the focus on the family website?

I want to say that he makes a point in the strong willed child about how children will purposely drive a wedge between parents. I'll keep looking though!

A career student at
'God Is Still Growing Me' Techincal College
Jointly enrolled at 'Amen To That' University

My husband is active duty Army. We had three kids in thirty one months. Fortunately I've kept them all alive and mostly healthy Even the stressful days are blessings and/or struggles that we've overcome!

The next generation of perpetually in progress humans:
Darrell(Dec2006)
Jonas(April2008)
Katie(July2009)
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cook For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure he does.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
about how children will purposely drive a wedge between parents.
I do know some Dobsonites who were vaguely aware of the need to communicate carefully as a kid might be strategically going to one or the other for permission. Not aware enough! In practice, there was no getting around (or pressing need to) the fact that kids are going to do what works and if that means asking mom first, who was too busy talking to someone to say anything other than "ask your dad", then telling dad, "Mom said it was okay if it was okay with you." Then that's what happened.

Nah, I'm going to say this concept, if it was mentioned at all, was not central at all. Don't mistake a mention for a central philosophy. There are hundreds of hours of FOTF radio programming, a gajillion pamphlets and workbooks. The scenario I described would easily get on the Dobsonite, "don't let them pull one over on you" radar if that concept were in play.

If it were ever in play in Dobson circles, it would have to be much more recent than my childhood and I doubt it originated with Dobson. It would probably be Ezzoites inhabiting similar circles as Dobsonites.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost positive that he does, but I don't have any of his books so I can't check them... I think it would still be great to do a post on because even if he doesn't say it blatantly, it's definitely implied, IMO. Also since it's so pervasive an idea within the Christian parenting community in general (at least, in my experience, it is).

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future

I'm not sure if Dobson says it or not, but I would LOVE to see a discussion of the topic bc I agree with PP that it is SUPER prevalent in American evangelicalism....(my DH is Haitian and from an evangelical family, and I've never heard of any of my Haitian in-laws saying anything like this at all- in fact, I think the way they see kids is a bit more utilitarian, as in we need to do everything possible as a couple to make sure our children get a good education because we know they'll take care of us/their siblings/the extended family when they're older. They love their kids too, of off course, a lot, I'm not trying to imply they don't. But i did roll my eyes and giggle a bit at my husband our first night in the hospital when he said, all emotionally to our sleeping son in his arms, "man, I'm so glad you're here. You're going to bury me." as in my husband could relax now bc he had a son who would see him through to his death and make sure he had a proper burial- a big deal in Haiti.)

Married to the Haitian Sensation since 2007
Mom to S, DS since October 2009

and

E, DD born February 22nd, 2016

Last edited by KSL; 03-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.
KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (03-26-2011), Learnin'2B (04-04-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), momyshaver (03-26-2011), Tasmanian Saint (03-26-2011), Zooey (03-27-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

I swiped all the Dobson books from the newly disbanded church ;ibrary- they're in my car. In a few minutes, I will lay Minimus down and go look.

BBL

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Joyanne
Deactivated

Joyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of light

I seem to remember something about leaving the kids as soon as possible after baby is born with a sitter and going out for a 'date night' being a 'necessity' to a strong marriage.
But I couldn't say which book it's in.
In Christ,
Joy
Joyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joyanne For This Useful Post:
Cook (03-26-2011), deena (03-29-2011), Tasmanian Saint (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it would still be great to do a post on because even if he doesn't say it blatantly, it's definitely implied, IMO. Also since it's so pervasive an idea within the Christian parenting community in general (at least, in my experience, it is).
Oh, I intend to I just haven't written anything Dobson-specific yet, so I thought it was about time I made a bit of an effort to quote him

And Kate, that is hilarious!
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
KSL (03-27-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
mathematicalmessymamma

WHere are you writing these myth busters? Is it on a blog or elsewhere? I'd love to read this one and any others you've written.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Peridot
Rose Garden

She is writing Here.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
breezy88
Climbing Rose

breezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
the parent relationship is more important than the kids? (Or not to let the kids interfere with the parents' relationship)?

My next myth-buster on Dare to Disciple is going to be this issue, and since it's supposed to be a Dobson-examining site, I thought I'd see if this was a 'thing' of his. I know the Ezzos say it because a GKGW acquaintance of mine brought it up once, but it's a fairly common thing around churches so I wondered if Dobson says it, too. I had a little look around the FOTF website and couldn't see any sign of it...

TIA
I just heard this the other day on Focus on the Family on the radio. The speaker was saying that parents should love each other more than their kids!
Now...Julie Slatery...the new FotF host did not like the way he phrased it but she did agree that the parental relationship had to take priority over our relationship with our children.

I personally think that FotF has a lot of good resources....but I find I need to be very discerning.

Mommy to 4 little girls
Remembering 3 babes in heaven.

breezy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

I am almost 100% he has talked about this and stated this point of view. I remember in one of the youth group meetings I attended we were listening to some of his stuff. It may have been a video or an audio message. I really can't remember.
But here is what I remember distinctly, because this mindset stuck with me for a long long time.
He gave the example of being in a life or death situation. (it was either hanging from a cliff, or else they were in the middle of the ocean-can't remember which) Basically Dobson said if his wife and his child (don't know what age child he was referring to at this point) were both about to face certain death and he could only save one of them he would absolutely, no questions asked, save his wife. and that it was extremely important that his son understood this concept, and knew ahead of time that if anything like this ever happened, he would choose his wife. His son had to know that his loyalty laid with his wife and that nothing could ever come above that.

at the time I really looked up to my youth leaders and just felt that they had the most wisdom so I believed this mindset. I don't know why this particular anecdote stuck with me so hard, but it was to the point that years later, early in my marriage (before kids) I asked dh what he would do in that life or death situation. when he didn't say he would automatically choose me, i was really offended and thought that it was an area we would have to really work through-to make sure no one ever came "in between" us. Thank goodness I've had a LOT of mindset changes since then.

I wish I had more concrete quotes or something for you, but i do know it was dobson that said this.

eta I should clarify this was probably in like 1998 and I'm sure whatever materials we had were already a few years older than that at least

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

Last edited by amyhntr2; 03-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.
amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amyhntr2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Peridot
Rose Garden

AMy that was what I was thinking of, but I didn't realise my parents had heard it there. It HAD to have come from Dobson, becuase to my knowlege that is the only parenting guru my parents ever read.

My Dad gave us that speech almost verbatim one time when we were kids. I felt very sad when he told us that, but I squashed it, because of course my daddy had to be right, ykwim?

Now- I'd save my kids. And I'd expect DH to save our kids too. THey are small and less capable- I'm an adult for pete's sake. I am fully capable- and I can do some rescueing too.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
amyhntr2 (03-26-2011), KSL (03-27-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), momyshaver (03-26-2011), nadezhda (03-31-2011), PlateauMama (03-31-2011), rjy9343 (03-26-2011), Tasmanian Saint (03-26-2011)