Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

View Poll Results: Please check as many as apply and also answer the questions in the first post if you have time!
I've been to a classical homeopath 22 11.00%
I practice classical homeopathy at home. 22 11.00%
We use combination remedies at home. 57 28.50%
I've read books on homeopathy. 25 12.50%
I'm curious about homeopathy. 68 34.00%
What's homeopathy? 6 3.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #31
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future
Default Re: Homeopathy Poll & Support Thread

Homeopathic books I've found helpful: "Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth, and the Baby's First Year"- this is awesome because it gives a great account of how homeopathy started, and it sort of explains it a bit for the skeptics. It helped me understand what was going on when I was using a homeopathic remedy.

Combination remedies that have worked in my family: Teething Tablets, Mycocan-Chord (http://www.totalnutritionaid.com/ene...-02-02180.html), oscillo...

Conditions/illnesses that have been successfully treated via homeopathy (classical or combination): fever, bruising, sniffles, teething, thrush

Share your personal experience w/ a classical homeopath: Never been

How homeopathy has affected your perspective on health & healthcare: It really hasn't. It's just been one of another in my arsenal of things. I was really amazed though, at how the Mycocan-Chord took care of my thrush! Homeopathics is really hit or miss for us. I've been giving dd pulsatilla for her stuffy nose, and haven't really seen a difference yet, so much so that in fact, I'm thinking of not getting any more, because it never seems to help. But I took oscillo for a fever once, and it dropped SO fast! But then trying it a different time, it didn't do anything at all. I admit I'm not that knowledgeable about homeopathics, though.

Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #32
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle - 12c doesn't necessarily mean its for kids. Its just a lower potency but sometimes its all adults need too. But kids can have all the potencies if a lower potency isn't enough. You'll know its the right remedy but too low a potency if it works but doesn't last long. If your having to take it every 15 mins or so you need something stronger. If you start off too strong it can aggravate the symptoms b/f they get better. We usually start at 30c and I have most remedies in 30c, 200c, and a few in 1M. I've had to use 1M with DS's allergic reaction to bites. As for traveling with it...you can't take it through x-rays...its a live substance and the x-ray machines will kill it. So more than likely the chamomilla yall used wasn't any good after taking it through security. I have a lead case that you put film in I use when I travel and I take it as carry on and tell the people that it can't be x-rayed. Sometimes they let it go through in the lead case but usually they pull it and search through it but don't run it through the machine.

Kits. I get most of my remedies from homeopathyworks.com. Its the washington homeopathics brand and its a lot cheaper than any of the other kids I've seen. This is the brand my homeopath used. You can get a 50 remedy all at 30c for 88 dollars of a 100 remedy kit with most 30c and some 200c for 150 which is an awesome deal b/c it will last you forever! Then the refills are only like 3 dollars a piece for the ones you use more often.
The Following User Says Thank You to JellyBean For This Useful Post:
KLin (11-09-2011)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #33
Charlie U
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Charlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond repute

But it's hard living life on this memory-go-round. Always up, always down. Spinning 'round and 'round and 'round. All this could be just a dream so it seems I was never much good at goodbye.
Charlie U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #34
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Living and Loving..Against the Stream

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
Michelle - 12c doesn't necessarily mean its for kids. Its just a lower potency but sometimes its all adults need too. But kids can have all the potencies if a lower potency isn't enough. You'll know its the right remedy but too low a potency if it works but doesn't last long. If your having to take it every 15 mins or so you need something stronger. If you start off too strong it can aggravate the symptoms b/f they get better. We usually start at 30c and I have most remedies in 30c, 200c, and a few in 1M. I've had to use 1M with DS's allergic reaction to bites. As for traveling with it...you can't take it through x-rays...its a live substance and the x-ray machines will kill it. So more than likely the chamomilla yall used wasn't any good after taking it through security. I have a lead case that you put film in I use when I travel and I take it as carry on and tell the people that it can't be x-rayed. Sometimes they let it go through in the lead case but usually they pull it and search through it but don't run it through the machine.

Kits. I get most of my remedies from homeopathyworks.com. Its the washington homeopathics brand and its a lot cheaper than any of the other kids I've seen. This is the brand my homeopath used. You can get a 50 remedy all at 30c for 88 dollars of a 100 remedy kit with most 30c and some 200c for 150 which is an awesome deal b/c it will last you forever! Then the refills are only like 3 dollars a piece for the ones you use more often.
I actually did know not to allow it to go through the x-ray machine because I cousin told me to hide it in a pocket and not to allow it to go through It went through the metal detector with me..but not xray. And as far as traveling with it...if we are in a bug out situation, chances are we will not be traveling via air...but rather ground.

Thanks for the link..I will check it out

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)
My Little Loves:לוחם (Warrior 2001) ~ אוֹמֶץ (Heart 2005) ~ אש (Fire 2007)

My Photography Blog:Red Door Photography
My Natural Living Page:Against the Stream
Ima LeShalosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #35
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessianicMama
Homeopathics is really hit or miss for us. I've been giving dd pulsatilla for her stuffy nose, and haven't really seen a difference yet, so much so that in fact, I'm thinking of not getting any more, because it never seems to help. But I took oscillo for a fever once, and it dropped SO fast! But then trying it a different time, it didn't do anything at all. I admit I'm not that knowledgeable about homeopathics, though.

Okay this is going to sound dumb but IME with colds, once you find the right treatment, it seems to work more often. My dd1 responds very quickly to hepar sulphur calcareum for snotty noses. It makes it hard to keep in the house If pulsatilla isn't working for the snotty nose, you probably need a different remedy. My dd2 haven't figured out because I was out of hepar sulph. calc. when she was sick recently (not to mention I forgot to give it to her and LisaM recommended I try it )

So the first thing I always turn to for dd1 is hepar sulphur calc

have you looked at abchomeopathy.com they have a thorough remedy finder I do find it a bit tough tol determine a specific remedy for kids because they can't explain their symptoms so it's only based on your observation. I usually have "cold calm" on hand in case the other remedies I have for runny noses isn't working. Cold calm is a combination remedy but I can't remember the manufacturer.

This is a great thread. I love those kits at homeopathyworks.com Jelly bean, how many doses come in the 1 dram bottles. My problem with my kits is that one cold can wipe out a remedy around here with 5 of us

For kits, I have hyland's kits kit and a boiron kit that is no longer sold because it's so old I just keep refilling it although I am reconsidering getting a new/different one. I really like the kids kits at homeopathyworks.com . Here is a picture of the boiron kit with drawers. that was asked about earlier in the thread http://www.natural-living.com/boironkit.php you can also buy it at abchomeopathy or even buy an empty drawer like kit .

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #36
CakeLady

I really like the idea of doing this more, but I need more knowledge and resources to feel comfortable.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #37
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
Quote:
Homeopathics is really hit or miss for us. I've been giving dd pulsatilla for her stuffy nose, and haven't really seen a difference yet, so much so that in fact, I'm thinking of not getting any more, because it never seems to help. But I took oscillo for a fever once, and it dropped SO fast! But then trying it a different time, it didn't do anything at all. I admit I'm not that knowledgeable about homeopathics, though.

Okay this is going to sound dumb but IME with colds, once you find the right treatment, it seems to work more often. My dd1 responds very quickly to hepar sulphur calcareum for snotty noses. It makes it hard to keep in the house If pulsatilla isn't working for the snotty nose, you probably need a different remedy. My dd2 haven't figured out because I was out of hepar sulph. calc. when she was sick recently (not to mention I forgot to give it to her and LisaM recommended I try it )

So the first thing I always turn to for dd1 is hepar sulphur calc

have you looked at abchomeopathy.com they have a thorough remedy finder I do find it a bit tough tol determine a specific remedy for kids because they can't explain their symptoms so it's only based on your observation. I usually have "cold calm" on hand in case the other remedies I have for runny noses isn't working. Cold calm is a combination remedy but I can't remember the manufacturer.

This is a great thread. I love those kits at homeopathyworks.com Jelly bean, how many doses come in the 1 dram bottles. My problem with my kits is that one cold can wipe out a remedy around here with 5 of us

For kits, I have hyland's kits kit and a boiron kit that is no longer sold because it's so old I just keep refilling it although I am reconsidering getting a new/different one. I really like the kids kits at homeopathyworks.com . Here is a picture of the boiron kit with drawers. that was asked about earlier in the thread http://www.natural-living.com/boironkit.php you can also buy it at abchomeopathy or even buy an empty drawer like kit .
The pills are tiny tiny in the bottles. They look like tiny bottles but the pills are tiny too and you only need a couple of them. I'm not sure how many doses but at least 100 if not more. I do have a little tip for ya though on saving remedies...this is what my homeopath always told me to do. Especially if you ever use combo remedies. On ones you find work and use a lot get a bottle dropper...fill it with water and add a few pellets of your remedies. You'll have to succuss it every time you use it (I just tap mine hard on the palm of my hand) but it actually makes the remedy stronger instead of weaker and it makes your remedies last forever!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #38
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The pills are tiny tiny in the bottles. They look like tiny bottles but the pills are tiny too and you only need a couple of them. I'm not sure how many doses but at least 100 if not more. I do have a little tip for ya though on saving remedies...this is what my homeopath always told me to do. Especially if you ever use combo remedies. On ones you find work and use a lot get a bottle dropper...fill it with water and add a few pellets of your remedies. You'll have to succuss it every time you use it (I just tap mine hard on the palm of my hand) but it actually makes the remedy stronger instead of weaker and it makes your remedies last forever!!!

this is what we do with oscillococcum every winter. In fact, now that I think that, I NEED to do it. We haven't started To prevent the flu. I usually start in october.

That is a great idea THANK YOU so much. How large of a bottle dropper?? LIke about an ounce or two? ANd how many drops per dose? When we do the oscillococcum thing, I think I do one full dropper but I can't remember I'll search around for my directions on it

Are the pellets about the size of the oscillococcum pellets (if you have used them). Those are the smallest homeopathic pellets we have

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #39
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

subbing
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #40
MamaCare
Rose Garden

Girlie hugging Cubby-in-utero

MamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond repute

subbing for later
Mix, my creative fireball; 01/99
my sweetly delightful Girlie; 11/04
my laid-back Cubby-climber; 04/07
my tenacious and joyful I-boy; 07/08
my surprise blessing Baby-J; 04/09
missing my angel, Serenity 03/04;

http://mommypress.com/itllturnup/
MamaCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #41
JellyBean
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
Quote:

this is what we do with oscillococcum every winter. In fact, now that I think that, I NEED to do it. We haven't started To prevent the flu. I usually start in october.

That is a great idea THANK YOU so much. How large of a bottle dropper?? LIke about an ounce or two? ANd how many drops per dose? When we do the oscillococcum thing, I think I do one full dropper but I can't remember I'll search around for my directions on it

Are the pellets about the size of the oscillococcum pellets (if you have used them). Those are the smallest homeopathic pellets we have
Ya know I have used it but I can't remember on the size. I think it may be!

Well on dosage from everything I've read and what my homeopath always told us is it doesn't matter. If you take one pellet or the entire bottle it has the same effect. When my nephew ate a whole bottle of apis I called washington homeopath and they said the same...if he already had a dose of it that day its no different than just another dose. I usually just take however much I happen to squeeze into the dropper at the time.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #42
Michelle-Lea
Rose Bouquet

Michelle-Lea is on a distinguished road

subbing
Michelle-Lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #43
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Chibimum, I actually think that for the tribulation, herbs are better- homeopathics have to be manufactured. Herbal remedies you can make yourself. Of course, I suppose if you stock up, and do what JellyBean said, wrt making them stronger...
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #44
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Living and Loving..Against the Stream

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chibimum, I actually think that for the tribulation, herbs are better- homeopathics have to be manufactured. Herbal remedies you can make yourself. Of course, I suppose if you stock up, and do what JellyBean said, wrt making them stronger...
hmmmm both good points to think about

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)
My Little Loves:לוחם (Warrior 2001) ~ אוֹמֶץ (Heart 2005) ~ אש (Fire 2007)

My Photography Blog:Red Door Photography
My Natural Living Page:Against the Stream
Ima LeShalosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #45
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi*Mum
Quote:
hmmmm both good points to think about
Here are a comparison of the two wrt the tribulation and "being on the run".

Herbs - buy herb seeds/tons of bulk herbs, and ingredients to make tinctures (alcohol, glycerin) or live with strong infusions (water only). Save seeds from plants and plant every year or as needed. Seems like it would take up a lot of space and time and effort.

Homeopathy, buy some nice kits and keep them well stocked, buy plenty of droppers, a thorough book and do JellyBean's waterbottle process which by the way, I have ONE more question. TO succuss it, is it just for the point of making sure it's well mixed so a hit or two on the palm of your hand - how vigorously to you have to shake? Sorry to ask to many questions.

Homeopathy seems easier and would take up a lot less space if you are on the run But again, I am trying to move more more towards homeopathy. Maybe I am silly, but I am super excited about JellyBean's dropped bottle process. I am going to try to go shopping tomorrow at AMerican science and surplus and find some nice droppers, make up some nice tags and start our most commonly used remedies into bottle droppers. We use homeopathics at least daily (insomnia aid) or more This will save us SO much money

I do think stocking up on herbals that you rely on day to day is a very wise idea