Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
WalkByFaith
Deactivated

WalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to all
Default No Greater Joy letter

I'm not sure if this is in the right place:

NGJ has sent a letter to all of their supporters asking them to comment on all the articles on news websites to SUPPORT their ministry and to publicly create an outcry against the people who are against No Greater Joy and TTUAC. They've also asked their supporters to go to Amazon and click "yes" on all the postive reviews and "no" on all the negative reviews of TTUAC (as in "was this reply helpfor or not, click yes or no") and to write glowing reviews of TTUAC.

If you haven't written a reivew of TTUAC on Amazon I really urge you to do so. I don't see how Amazon will pull a book that has so many "positive" reviews.
WalkByFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WalkByFaith For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-20-2011), Llee (11-21-2011), Marrae (11-21-2011), Patrysha (11-21-2011), PrincessAnika (11-20-2011), shirelingmum (11-26-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of
Default Re: No Greater Joy letter

momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously??? nothing spells desperation like that.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-20-2011), chasingbutterflies (11-20-2011), Mokek Kwe (11-21-2011), momyshaver (11-20-2011), PrincessAnika (11-20-2011), ReedleBeetle (11-20-2011), Stiina (11-22-2011), Titus2Momof4 (11-27-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Uhhhhhh, if he hasn't done anything wrong, why does he need to rally the troops?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
chasingbutterflies (11-21-2011), Lady Grey (11-21-2011), Mokek Kwe (11-21-2011), momofmany (11-27-2011), PDX Mommy (11-22-2011), PrincessAnika (11-20-2011), ReedleBeetle (11-20-2011), Stiina (11-22-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Disgusting.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Praying God will not let them prevail.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Mokek Kwe (11-21-2011), PDX Mommy (11-22-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

It has very poor reviews on the .co.uk site but I am at the reviews on .com TFS this.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrae For This Useful Post:
chasingbutterflies (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
NewCovenantMama
Climbing Rose

NewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond repute

This should be reported to Amazon! It's deliberate manipulation.

ETA I've just reported it on the petition's Facebook page.

I wonder what would happen if Amazon were to receive hundreds of individual complaints rather than (ie as well as) just one petition.

Last edited by NewCovenantMama; 11-21-2011 at 05:07 AM.
NewCovenantMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NewCovenantMama For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (11-21-2011), Happygrl (11-21-2011), Mokek Kwe (11-21-2011), rjy9343 (11-21-2011), Stiina (11-22-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
WalkByFaith
Deactivated

WalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCovenantMama View Post
This should be reported to Amazon! It's deliberate manipulation.

ETA I've just reported it on the petition's Facebook page.

I wonder what would happen if Amazon were to receive hundreds of individual complaints rather than (ie as well as) just one petition.
What a great idea! I know if you go to either the No Greater Joy FB page or the TTUAC FB page (can't remember which one) you'll find the letter that they sent out.
WalkByFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed an increase in positive reviews all on the same day.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
keepinghome
Rose Bush

keepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the rough

I was just coming on here to tell you all about this! I only knew about it because my review on amazon was the 2nd most helpful (was for a long time at least, hadn't checked in a few months) and now I couldn't even find it. I noticed ALL of the "most helpful" reviews were 5 stars and thought that absolutely cannot be right, something fishy is going on. I also noticed almost all of the top reviews were written on nov 9 or after. Which I now see is the same day NGJ put the request on their fb page.

Can someone that hasn't yet, leave a review saying that NGJ is soliciting positive reviews?
and Titus born Dec 2011

Last edited by keepinghome; 11-21-2011 at 10:29 PM.
keepinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keepinghome For This Useful Post:
Stiina (11-22-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

I remember them doing this a couple of years ago too.

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Where is the facebook page for the petition?

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
Where is the facebook page for the petition?
https://www.facebook.com/amazonpetition

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Happygrl (11-21-2011), rosesnsnails (11-21-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #15
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

PDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I posted a negative review and called them out about soliciting support. You can read it here:

The Pearls manipulate in more ways than one November 22, 2011
Wondering why you see so many positive reviews dated November 9th and later? On November 91th, 2011, Michael & Debi Pearl posted the following letter on their Facebook page:

"Dear NGJ Supporters
by No Greater Joy Ministries on Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 4:44pm

As you may be aware, NGJ is in the midst of a controversy as the result of a recent article in the New York Times and the subsequent articles and blogs that are using that article as a base, much of which is taken out of context and adding their own inflammatory rhetoric.

The opponents of the tradional, biblical, child training philosophy presented by NGJ are rallying an orchestrated attack to discredit the Pearls and our Ministry. This includes petitioning sales outlets such as Amazon to discontinue selling To Train Up a Child and all other NGJ material. Another tactic is to fill the book review pages on Amazon with negative 1 star reviews and hateful comments. We trust God's protection but also recognize our responsibility to properly respond and make these circumstances known to our supporters.

The time, energy and expense of this set of circumstances are a burden to our staff that is robbing us of the time and resources needed to operate the ministry. We greatly appreciate all the notes and emails of encouragement that have been received and covet your prayers and support during these difficult times.

You can assist us by making your voice heard. Share your beliefs and leave a comment to all the online articles that you read. You can also go to the To Train Up a Child page on Amazon and leave your own review and rate the other comments by checking "Yes" for the positive reviews and "No" for the negative reviews. You may also make your own comments in response to other reviews. Click "Create your own review" (located after the last review on the page) to rate To Train Up a Child and add your own review.

We covet your prayers and support and trust that God will be glorified through all of this.

Sincerely,

Mike and Debi"

Why exactly are they soliciting their supporters for deliberate manipulation of Amazon's review system if they are guilty of nothing? As they see it, they have no responsibility in many deaths and severe injuries that innocent children have suffered at that hands of parents following the Pearl's methods, as outlined in this book. They also do not view hitting children with plumbing line--EVEN BABIES AS YOUNG AS 4 MONTHS--as abuse because it doesn't leave a mark. Being repeatedly hit with plumbing line may not leave visible marks on the skin, but it does break down the tissue beneath in the skin and that can lead to kidney failure, and subsequently death. This is how Lydia Schatz, age 7, died. Her sister was also found in critical condition and hospitalized for enduring a 7 HOUR beating, "inspired" by the Pearl's book, "To Train Up A Child". This is not Biblical. Jesus would NEVER have wanted us to hit our children. Quite the contrary, hitting our children in the hopes of saving their souls teaches them that works can save them and that the grace providing by Jesus' death on the cross is not sufficient.

In fact, The Pearls base much of their child training philosophy on 7 verses found in the book of Proverbs. A wisdom/poetry book, not a law book. Seven verses, taken out of context and poorly interpreted. Proverbs has a lot of interesting illustrations--such as holding a knife to our throat while we eat if we're prone to gluttony--but you don't see Christians taking those to the extreme level as so-called "Biblical Discipline". That's probably because it's poetry--it paints a word picture. But it most certainly is not a command. We need to look at the Bible as a whole. We need to interpret Scripture based off of the original intent. We need to ditch the Pearls and their ministry. Please do not buy this book. If you already own it, BURN IT.

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

PDX Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to PDX Mommy For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (11-26-2011), charla (11-22-2011), ClassicMom (11-22-2011), dulce de leche (11-22-2011), FlyingBlueKiwi (11-22-2011), Glitterfish (12-01-2011), Happygrl (11-22-2011), homesteadmama (11-27-2011), Housekat (11-22-2011), jandjmommy (11-23-2011), jubles (11-22-2011), Katigre (11-22-2011), keepinghome (11-22-2011), Llee (11-22-2011), MaybeGracie (11-23-2011), momyshaver (11-22-2011), mwwr (11-22-2011), NewCovenantMama (11-22-2011), PaperMomma (11-22-2011), saturnfire16 (11-22-2011), shirelingmum (11-26-2011), Taedareth (11-22-2011), WalkByFaith (11-22-2011)