Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #46
kazoo

Default Re: Probiotics info

Here's a conventional medicine article suggesting the benefits of probiotics for ear infections:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ory_35926.html

The theory is that most kids who get ear infections have a sort of "biofilm" in their ears, like that of the slimey sort which you find on rocks at a river, and that this biofilm is naturally resistant to antibiotics, which is why they aren't effective. It suggests that probiotics may be more useful than antibiotics.

My dad is a conventional doctor -- ENT, actually. I wish I had known to try probiotics when DS was having ear infections. DS finally got tubes, which in a way was a blessing b/c his adenoids were huge and obstructing his breathing at night, so they removed them at the same time. Anyway, I grew up with conventional medicine but I also embrace natural/homeopathic remedies if I can. There are conventional treatments that are a real help to people, but other times, it seems that it takes conventional medicine a while to "catch up" with natural medicine!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #47
FourCutieBugs

Ok I have a question about all this:

I am pregnant, also I am on an antibiotic right now for a finger infection (wierd I know), which is more powerful they say than the one I was on 2 weeks ago for a sore throat/head cold thing. TOmmorrow is my last day of the 5 day series of doses. I am supposed to get more if I am not "better". I think my finger is now better. I have been eagerly awaiting getting off of the antibiotic and righting my system, because it has given me massively worse indigestion than what I had prior to being on it, as also happened with the first one, which also gave me a yeast infection. I am a little ticked at my doctor for giving me an antibiotic over the phone for what was essentially a headcold, but she's a doctor, what do you expect? And I was in trust the doctor mode.

So I have alittle bottle of some acidophilus which I have not tried yet, and i have acidophilus milk, and lots of yogurt in my fridge, neither of which has been helping. So I have been waiting to take the stuff in the bottle because I figured the antibiotic would just kill it anyway. It's pills I think. I borrowed it from wingsofdawn. Then I am reading in this thread that you should actually take it, but at diferent times, or starting prior to the antibiotic? Or is it pointless in combination with the antibiotic, and I am right to wait? Also it appears to be a target product with 100 million active lactobacillus acidophillus blah blah blah....

So i have been thinking, since I have had so many yucky digestion related issues excluding vomiting since I became pregant, that maybe probiotics would help. Any experience with this?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #48
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I certianly think they would help. as to whether you can take them along side antibotics...that is a varying opinion..hehe..I think as long as you don't take them together it can help.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #49
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

Ok, this is something that I didn't know. So you are not supposed to take acidophilus with an antibiotic?

Also my ds's new vitamins say do not take these if you have a medical condition or if you are taking medication? Any medication? I mean we are not taking any, but if one of us gets sick?

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #50
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

some people think you can take it with atbx..some think you can't...

I personally think that you can take it several hours after you take the atbx.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 07-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #51
FourCutieBugs

Ok I finished my antibiotic yesterday. My finger looks better, my tummy is in wretched condition. I REALLY want to try the whole therapuetic use of the probiotics to see if it will enable me to become a functioning human being instead of a tummy-achy gripey slug on the couch. BUT I seem to remember, a few years ago, reading about body cleansing products being a no-no in pregnancy and in breastfeeding because the toxins will go through to the baby? So is this true? If so, why would it be any safer to keep one's body toxic while pregnant/nursing?

Old 07-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #52
FourCutieBugs

Also, can someone list the potential benefits of taking probiotics? I have seen that it helps with digestive ailments, eczema and allergies, sleep problems, and was ear infections one? Is it just a general defense against all infection?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #53
FourCutieBugs

Ok I bought one. It's called Power-dophilus 2 by Country Life. Amber glass container, 4 billion organisms, refrigertated, but it's more than one kind of bacteria. But jeepers, the good stuff ain't cheap! This really did fit more of the criteria than most of the others that I found at whole foods. I just didn't recognize the brand name from anything mentioned here.

http://www.country-life.com/moreinfo...124#Directions
Old 07-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #54
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #55
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

That looks like a good one. my only concern is the maltodextran...

benefits of probiotics: as I understand it the gut is full off holes...it can have good bacteria (probiotics) or bad bacteria (things that make us sick or not able to digest properly) in those holes. When we take antibiotics it wipes out all the good and bad bactria in those holes and they are susceptible to being filled up by the bad..which is why we take the probiotics to help fill those holes up with good bacteria and not the bad. That helps the gut function properly and digest properly.

does that make any sense?

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 09-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #56
Alouette

So now that I've read all this wonderful information about probiotics....where do I learn more about DETOXing? That's probably a must before beginning a probiotics regimen....
Old 07-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #57
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette View Post
So now that I've read all this wonderful information about probiotics....where do I learn more about DETOXing? That's probably a must before beginning a probiotics regimen....
I used Dr. Natura's products for detoxing. There is some informaiton on their website to read about it:
http://www.drnatura.com/
Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #58
Anna3:16

I agree about the list of children's problems that are not normal... i work with children who have behavioral feeding disorders from reflux....