Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 06-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Sara

Default Parental Nudity

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering at what age parental nudity became an issue for you, or rather when you decided to be more private about being nude in front of your children. Does sex make a difference i.e. mom being naked in front of son or dad being naked in front of daughter? I guess I'm not sure what is "normal" and I'm not finding any good information in any of my parenting books.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #2
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parental Nudity

kenzie's almst 6 and i still have no issues. i don't see it being an issue anytime soon. i'd prefer never being an issue at all, but I know i was uncomfortable with my mom not being fully clothed after i was about 9 or so.
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

the normal expert consensus is to respect your child's natural developing modesty and that nudity is okay until one or the other is uncomfortable. I do not believe that the sex of the parent or the child matters--though it might affect how different situations are handled. For example, dh would wear a bathing suit if he were going to shower with dd who is 5. She's *right there* and he's not comfortable with that at all (small shower-only stall).
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
Close2MyHeart
Rose Garden

Back for Friendships

Close2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

I am rarely naked in front of any of my children anymore. Dh has issues w/ it. He's VERY modest.
DS1(21), DS2(20), BD1(20), DD1(19), BS1(17), DS3(16), BS2(14), DD2(14), BD2(10), BD3 (8)
(B = Bonus/Step)
Close2MyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

None of my kids think anything about my or dh being naked. Well, except Colin, who views it as license to nurse.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
This Busy Mom

My older two kids are now uncomfortable with it... so I respect their modesty. They are 9 and 7... and keeping clothes on the oldest was a chore in itself when he was little... so I think it's funny that he is so modest now.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

I still undress and occassionaly shower with my 4 year old. We will stop when either one of us starts to feel uncomfortable.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
amstermarie
Rose Garden

amstermarie is a jewel in the roughamstermarie is a jewel in the roughamstermarie is a jewel in the roughamstermarie is a jewel in the rough

i still shower w/ both my boys. dh does too, but he said if we had a girl he would not shower w/ her, not even when she was tiny tiny. it kind of upset me some, i can shower w/ boys, but not him w/ girls he says its natural for moms but not for dads. for the record he also said he would not change a little girls diaper. he claims people and things would be imagined . o we had a heated argument over that one. but we are having another boy so it wont be an issue.

Ricky 11/00
T.J 9/02
Adam 9/5/05
Dylan 9/18/12

Theresa born in water 1/29/2008

Kadin 3/04
Baby 2/15
Baby 11/15
amstermarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
godsgracegiven

Ds was almost five when I started to be more careful.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
blessedMom

We just followed DH's or the children's preference for modesty.

We have a big shower, with two shower heads. I have photos of Jonathan and Kiyanna in a little 'tub' when ds would have been about 3½ and dd a baby. I know DH and I were still naked at that time. Soon after that (before ds turned 4) DH was uncomfortable with me being naked in front of ds. And DH was no longer nude in front of dd once she was about 3.

DH was never naked in front of my oldest daughter - since he is her step-dad.

I'm occasionally naked or with a naked daughter. And Kiyanna is occasionally naked in front of family or rarely someone else. She 'pretends' modesty because her older siblings are modest. LOL
Old 06-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
GodisGood
Deactivated

GodisGood has a spectacular aura aboutGodisGood has a spectacular aura about

My boys are too young to notice anything...I'm just not comfortable. I don't want one of their earliest memories of me to be my saggy fat body getting out of the shower!
GodisGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #12
CandyLayne

dh has always been pretty careful in front of dd but will occasionally change with her there. i still dress in front of her if she's there but i have stopped taking baths w/ her but that's mainly b/c i love my quiet time in the tub. lol dd (4) is starting to become a little modest about herself but that's only w/ other people, not us. we'll just follow her cues i think.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good question and it just varies from family to family.

For us, we still change and shower when the kids are around. In fact, we had to tear out the shower in the house to make room to run plumbing for our second bathroom and we only have a bathtub in the house for now. When dh or I take our "shower" in the bathtub we usually end up with one or both of the kids hopping in with us. It gets crowded!

If at some point I feel uncomfortable with it, or dh does we'll get more modest. And when we notice the kids are uncomfortable we'll be more modest. Really, dd is VERY immodest (it's a baaaad thing when she wears a dress LOL) and ds is still nursing so it's not like he doesn't see my boobs all the time!

I mean, how modest would you expect us to be when we used to sleep only in our undies before kids!
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #14
AttachedMamma
Deactivated

AttachedMamma is on a distinguished road

Our DD will be 5 in the fall. DH and I still shower w/her and it's a non-issue (she loves showering w/us). But, we'll follow DD's cues about this. I wonder how that will happen. I hope a friend doesn't make her feel shameful about showering w/her parents. It's possible someone could say, "you shower w/your dad?! Yuk!" and that would change things (though I would feel very sad if it happened that way rather than her just developing her need for her own personal space and simply telling us that she prefers to shower alone."

cindi
AttachedMamma is offline   Reply With Quote