Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Raspberries

Default Article about Dr. Mercola's Sales Tactics/Marketing

So what do you think?
Quote:
While Mercola on his site seeks to identify with this image by distinguishing himself from "all the greed-motivated hype out there in health-care land," he is a master promoter, using every trick of traditional and Internet direct marketing to grow his business.

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz...7s+top+stories

Last edited by Raspberries; 06-19-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
~yogamom~
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Just a mom trying to figure it out like everyone one else!

~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Artile about Dr. Mercola's Sales Tactics

I can't stand him or his tactics, and I probably agree with a good 70% of what he espouses.
~yogamom~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~yogamom~ For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (06-20-2010), DoulaClara (06-20-2010), Katiebug (06-20-2010), momyshaver (06-20-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
chasingbutterflies
Rose Garden

chasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand Mercola either.

chasingbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I like reading some of the information in the articles he has, but lots of times they ARE linked to him trying to sell something. I read the information, and if I am interested in more, I will research the subject for myself. His stuff does tend to be rather propaganda-ish, but I do find some of the information useful.
Lantern Light Mama (06-20-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't read the article, but just the part you quoted I say, so what?

His website has got to cost a lot to run. There are probably a couple salaries dedicated to running it. He's getting an important message out even if you (general 'you') only agree with a portion of it. A lot of people's eyes are being opened and that's a good thing.

If he's smart enough to take advantage of cutting edge internet marketing strategies to fund the website, I say more power to him.

Quote:
I read the information, and if I am interested in more, I will research the subject for myself. His stuff does tend to be rather propaganda-ish, but I do find some of the information useful.
I totally agree. I use it as a jumping off point, too.

Last edited by mommylove; 06-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
scottishthistle
Climbing Rose

scottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly dislike his tactics
scottishthistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it, he recognizes that a lot of products out there aren't the quality that they could or ought to be, and he wants to provide one that is. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It doesn't mean his research is poor. Heck, the articles he posts are typically from somewhere else--The Lancet, some research journal, etc.--and then he follows it up with his own comments. And of course he's going to promote his stuff when he does it--it's not some little blog he's running out of his basement, he has a research staff to pay and his own time to compensate for, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to make a buck, too. Have any of his products been shown to be less than he claims they are? AFAIK, they're all top quality, which is the whole point. So of course he's trying to sell them.

I think he's a little over the top sometimes, but it's never come across to me as someone deliberately trying to make things sound worse than they are just to try to scare people into buying his stuff. He comes across to me as someone who tends towards a black-and-white view of the world, knows the crap that's going on and wants to expose it and help people get healthier. Nothing wrong with that.

As with anything, it's buyer beware. But nothing in that article made me think any differently about Mercola. He's not my favorite guy in the world, but I don't think he's a shyster, either. (And that article definitely wasn't objective; there was obvious slants all over the place.)
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Artile about Dr. Mercola's Sales Tactics/Marketing

Not a fan, but he does get valuable information out there. OTOH, I think the point of the article was the hypocrisy issue - seemingly seeking to be above and beyond hype and greed, but in reality reaping the same benefits using his own means and methods, kwim? It doesn't diminish the value of the information, but makes him less likeable for me. (Not that I was all that fond to start with... )
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

The Sears are the same way.

I am always leery of any preacher or doctor or teacher who preaches about the value of a particular product, which they just so happen to have for sale right here, right now, for the low low price ... If you're selling, great. Sell away. If you're preaching, maybe you ought to stick to selling tickets and books.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (06-20-2010), chasingbutterflies (06-20-2010), homesteadmama (06-20-2010), Lantern Light Mama (06-20-2010), momyshaver (06-20-2010), Serafine (06-20-2010), tofufoofoo (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Rabbit on this one.

Also, so many people who espouse Mercola will be the first to point out how mainstream research articles are so evil b/c...well..."follow the money" (meaning, the people doing or presenting the research got their funding from big pharma or whoever).

Well, same thing here...which is why I agree with Rabbit.
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
Buela

I won't check out any of his stuff or articles.
It is illegal (at least here it is AFAIK) for a MD to sell medical products as it is unethical. I have a huge beef with a chiro I knew personally who sold his own supplements at his practice (I think, I've never been in there) and on infomercials. I believe it is manipulative and an abuse of power

I even have issues with my vet because they are the only place where I can buy the "special" dog food my dog requires. Pft.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
chasingbutterflies (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
chasingbutterflies
Rose Garden

chasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buela View Post
I won't check out any of his stuff or articles.
It is illegal (at least here it is AFAIK) for a MD to sell medical products as it is unethical. I have a huge beef with a chiro I knew personally who sold his own supplements at his practice (I think, I've never been in there) and on infomercials. I believe it is manipulative and an abuse of power

I even have issues with my vet because they are the only place where I can buy the "special" dog food my dog requires. Pft.
One of the favorite doctors of the naturally leaning people around here sells supplements. We ended up switching our kids to a different doctor partially because of that. He kept trying to sell me a whey based supplement for my kid who was allergic to dairy. It bugged me.

chasingbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
Lila

Interestingly enough, if you type "Mercola" into Google, the first search term that comes up underneath it is "Mercola quack". Apparently Mercola receives so much flak he felt the need to set up an official website to disprove the idea that he is a quack. He's not an MD, by the way. Which is probably how he can get away with selling his products.

His "things that are really dangerous and going to kill you" articles have a remarkable tendency to line up with his new product launches. Like his cookware line.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila View Post
His "things that are really dangerous and going to kill you" articles have a remarkable tendency to line up with his new product launches. Like his cookware line.
No one can dispute that, but he's got a huge following, and strange as it may seem, some people had no idea that Teflon releases toxic gasses, or that processed soy is controversial or that drugstore fish oil is horrible quality. So, again, I say that he gets an important message out. Take what you can use, leave the rest.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (06-20-2010), Taedareth (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

Having a huge following is of no consequence. Anyone can have a huge following and that doesn't make them legit.

Afa his products lining up with his current "this is gonna kill ya" speech, that makes sense. If he researches and comes to the conclusion that ABC causes XYZ, he is going to come up with a "safe" alternative and preach about the danger while offering a safer way to go. It is reminiscent of a fish oil salesman, but it doesn't make his initial claim false, kwim? It just makes him opportunistic!
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote